Anyone tried Barber Custom Cool?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock72, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I am very curious about this, and knowing the quality of Dave's products, I'm confident it's stellar. Has anyone tried this one? Is it more a low or med gain pedal? How similar/different is it compared to the LTD and DD?

2. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I think they just started shipping. Also, I recall a thread here that discussed them at length and if you check the Barber website there's a link to some clips.

3. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Thanks Dave, just checked the soundclips (with Monster Mike). Sounded great. He also said in the text where the clips was that there is a 'Hot' version available for those who wants more gain. Very interesting indeed.

4. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I remember reading somewhere, possibly on the Barber forum, that the Custom Hot won't be out for qute some time.

5. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Got mine today, great pedal, very amplike in feel and tone. Great lower gain pedal, love the push pull on the tone control, SR EQ down and Snarl EQ when up. Push pull on Dynamics for smooth or crunchy. Note Shape, Bass, Midrange, and Presence adjustments on the inside. Best Barber pedal yet and there have been some very good ones

6. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Thanks for filling us in. I'm considering one. Would you say it is a lot different from the LTD and DD's??

7. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Direct Drive way different, DD is more Marshall with alot more gain than Custom Cool.
    Black LTD not as clear or open sounding as CC
    Sliver LTD is closer.
    Custom Cool knob layout is like the Small Fry layout. Volume, Tone, Dynamics, Gain, and Mini toggle. Push pull on tone and Dynamics and Mini toggle give alot more options than LTD's and DD.
    Its a different sounding pedal though, lower gain and more open sounding. Room and use for all of them on my board.

8. sqadan

sqadan Member

Where are you guys getting this pedal?... Direct from Barber? I can't find anyone stocking it yet... I'm dying to try it as I love my Small Fry but I dont really use the higher gain settings... a low gain OD with the dynamics control sounds like my bag baby!

9. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

http://www.tpngear.com/

Call Bob! He'll hook you up. Friend of Dave B and he knows the Barber stuff inside out so you can really get your questions answered better than anyone else except Dave and Ronni. Great guy too! Loves to talk gear.

10. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I'll second all that! Dealt with Bob for years. He's cost me alot of money but saved me money too. If something won't work for you he'll tell you so.

11. wleeds

wleeds Member

How does it sound compared to the LTD-SR?
    Can you do some clips?

12. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Don't have SR or means to do clips Highly recomend giving Bob a call. I know sounds like an advertisment but he is very informative laid back guy, you will not be pressured to buy at all. He can describe Barber pedals better than I can.