Anyone tried changing fender hot rod deluxe power tubes to EL34s?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by theRockman, Jun 1, 2015.

1. theRockman

theRockman Member

Thinking of changing my Fender Hot rod deluxe's power tubes to EL34s and speakers to celestion vintage 30s to give it that marshall vibe. any thoughts?

2. On a Budget

On a Budget Member

it is more involved than simply changing the tubes, there will have to be some modifications to the power section so the el34 will work properly,

3. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

will the power tubes do so much for the sound charachter?

4. 8len8

8len8 Member

Try the Amp forum.

Aquinas likes this.
  5. wickedcookie

wickedcookie Silver Supporting Member

You're joking, right? If you're serious, don't waste your time, just get a dsl 40.

On a Budget likes this.
  6. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

HRD's are great. One day you'll miss the thump of those 6L6s. Keep it and use the money you'd spend on it (trying to make it something it isn't) on something else.

+1 DSL40.

7. shinksma

shinksma Member

IMHO, trying to make a HRDX sound like a Marshall through hardware changes is like trying to make a strat sound like a Les Paul - just glue in the neck, swap out the trem bridge for a wrap around, widen the neck, slap some rosewood on that maple neck, swap out the single coils for humbuckers, and you're done! Well, almost, if you want a LP with an ash or alder body.

I think you'll get closer by using a MIAB pedal in front of the HRDX. Or better yet, as suggested, just buy a Marshall amp like the DSL40!

On a Budget likes this.
  8. twostring

twostring Member

This would be a rather extensive modification, and I'm not sure that it's realistic with the PCB mounted tube sockets in the HRD. There's also a matter of plate voltage...I don't think the stock power transformer can get you in the range the EL34 needs to see. The right KT66 might work, but you need to pay attention to heater current. At the end of the day, a pedal or getting a different amp is going to be a better way to spend time and money for this.

Aquinas likes this.
  9. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

If you don't like your amp, sell it and buy a Marshall. If you do like it but just want some Marshall flavor from time to time, then buy a Wampler Plexi-Drive.

10. V

V Vendor

I agree with using a pedal being the best option.

That said, however, making chimeric mongrels is something close to my heart and often you do actually end up with great results. Like, my preferred guitars are Fenders as far as durability, modularity, comfort, and appearance go. However I mostly use various humbuckers in them because I like the sound of the longer scale and different engineering of fenders but with humbuckers. Doesn't really sound like a fender or a Gibson in the end but it sounds great.

It definitely would be an extensive mod, though, to do what you want.

11. theRockman

theRockman Member

Thanks for the thoughts guys! Yeah I'm pretty much going back and forth with getting a DSL 40 or just getting another MIAB pedal. I was just curious as to how the HRD might sound through EL34

12. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

I don't think the HRD power transformer is capable of supplying the increase in heater current that EL34s require over 6L6s, at least from memory. Anyways, it wouldn't change the tone significantly, especially if you're not pushing the power section significantly into overdrive.

13. twostring

twostring Member

Easy way to test it...take the effects send of the HRD and plug it into the effects return of an EL34 amp.

14. jcarpenter

jcarpenter Supporting Member

Yellow jacket converters would do the trick. Just plug and play no need to bias. In fact I have an extra set I wouldn't mind selling. Pm me if your interested. Also if you miss the 6L6's just plug them back in when the mood strikes.

15. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

Another? So which one do you have now that isn't working for you? :dunno

16. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

A MIAB pedal will do in a pinch but will never satisfy a true craving for Marshall tones.

That said... you could stick all JJs in the Hot Rod, bias it hotter and try a Pinnacle, SL Drive or something in front of it - and just see how it goes.

17. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

IMO, the power amp tubes contributes the least to the sound of an amp. These percentages are necessarily rough, but preamp design may be 50% or so of the sound, speakers & cab something like 30%, and power amp something like 20%. I wonder how other people would rank these sections?

18. don550

don550 Supporting Member

+1 on this .... I have Hotrod Deville that and I just added a Wampler Plextortion to my board.... At my last gig a couple of other guitar players said "I like you Marshal what are you running?"
    because they could see my amp from where they we sitting and when I told them I was running MIAB pedal they were surprised that I was actually playing thru a Fender.. One of the guys I know from another band and he's a Marshal tone snob and plays thru a 50 watt Marshall

19. theRockman

theRockman Member

Love the hot rod deville!! Really awesome amp. Yeah guys, I've tried a couple of MIAB pedals - rockett animal, sl drive, ramble marvel, wampler plexi drive too.. The voicing are close but doesnt nail it IMHO.. Its the combination of the EL34s saturated with the 4x12 with celestions, the preamp circuit and gain stages of the actual plexi amp and then some ... Hard to beat or come close to that warmth, crunchy, unique compression of a plexi.. BUT ILOVE FENDER FOR CLEANS!! I'll probably have to A/B them I my setup