Anyone tried DiMarzio Air Norton in a LP bridge?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CitizenCain, Jan 9, 2008.

1. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I've got an Air Norton/Air Zone combo in my LP currently and find that a little too hot for my tastes. I'm thinking of moving the Air Norton to the bridge and getting a more vintage neck pickup.

Anyone tried an Air Norton in a LP bridge spot?

Oops, forgot, I'm looking at vintage rock style tones.

2. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

Not in the bridge of a LP but in the bridge of my MIJ Charvel Strat. I bought the Air Norton based on a recommendation from this board and it did not disappoint. Good power but not overdone, and gave a good split sound together with the middle pup. If it is a bright Les Paul it should work well. If it is a dark Les Paul it may be too hot but I guess in that case you would not call your combo "a little too hot".

3. 77custom

77custom Supporting Member

I used the Air Norton in my Les Paul Customs. I like them, the output is in between my pat.# sticker's and the 498T (no where as hot as the 498 but similar tone, hotter than the pat.# sticker but not too hot). Worked really nice for 70's classic rock. I have a regular Norton in my H/H Floyd Rose strat. It really brings the sound close to my Les Pauls, so switching guitars on stage was not an issue. The thing I don't like about DiMarzio's (it doesn't seem to affect my other humbuckers) is when I turn down the volume of the guitar, I lose way too much definition(treble).

4. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

It sounds like it's worth a try. The guitar is a Vintage Mahogany Studio. It's about medium as far as being bright. The stock BurstBuckers were woofy in the neck and bright in the bridge. I did a wrap bridge conversion so the bridge position is a little twangier than normal. Sounds like the Air Norton should fill the bill. The DiMarzios are very nice but just too hot in their current positions. I'm going to move the Air Norton to the bridge and put a EJ Custom bridge in the neck. That ought to sound unique!

77custom, I use the '50s wiring scheme and that seems to work well for keeping the reble as I roll back the volume. The Air Norton is actually a great sounding neck pickup in this guitar with that wiring setup, just ODs the amp too much for my playing style.

5. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I had that problem until I had a cap installed. You should do the same. It's cheap and works wonders.