Anyone tried EL34s in a Lonestar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ed84246, Feb 18, 2008.

1. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Okay, thinking of making some amp changes soon. Right now I have a Shiva that's been modded by Voodoo amps - it's more EVH on the dirt channel now, but it took some of the smoother, rounded tone out (playing neck pickups at higher gain do not sound like neck pickups, etc..) and is still a little pre-amp buzzy sounding for my tastes.

So the plan is to get a Cameron to cover my EVH fetish, and maybe replace the Shiva with a Lonestar because I need a gigging combo that will do great cleans for funk (with some warmth), some cool overdriven bluesey stuff and I was hoping something that would get into early EVH territory as well. I was just wondering how agressive a Lonestar could get with EL34s in it if anyone's tried it.

Also, how are the Lonestar cleans compared to the Shiva?

Any experience you have would be greatly appreciated.

2. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

No experience with a Shiva but I had a LSC for a few years and tried el34s in it. VERY subtle difference. As in, you would notice more if you changed your strings.

3. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I thought about doing this with my LSC, but decided I like the huge cleans that 6L6 have, and decided against it. I'm not overly surprised at the comment above. LSC can give solid old school OD, esp with hotter pups, definitely into classic rock territory.

4. PFunk

PFunk Member

I just dropped some in mine and will use it this Thursday at a rehearsal. Initially the basement, the tone seemed slightly more stout, not quite as warm as the 6L6's, but still had the LS personality.

If this post is still going on Friday I'll chime in with my thoughts.

Thanks.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I tried it. That Amp likes 6L6's better. Very subtle change but sounds better with 6L6's.

6. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I did, and I like it. Maybe it was just the change, but the OD channel seemed to come to life a little bit. The cleans were still very good, but the gain channel had a little more pop to it.