Anyone tried/head the new Wilkinson vintage bridge??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Myron Stratis, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

Looks sweet, already ordered one for my Suhr:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NEW- stunning and perfect in every way- the new genuine Wilkinson vintage trem combines everything vintage fans are looking for- Full Sized STEEL Inertia Block, Bent Steel saddles, Nickel plated- engraved with perfect vintage repro "WILKINSON STAMPED", Solid steel plate with six case hardened steel trem screws, Non-threaded push in arm with tension adjust but retains exact vintage look and feel, Stagerred block string spacing adjust for intonation- now every string has the same saddle-to-ball-end length!

2. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I am curious myself, it is one of the contenders for my new parts o caster. The Callaham is the other strong contender at teh moment.

One thing that might sway me is the spacing. The wilkinson has 2 1/8 spacing or 2 4/32 where the callaham has the true 2 7/32 spacing. The american standard bridge is 2 1/16 or 2 2/32 spacing. So it seems the wilkinson is smack dab in the middle of new and old.

3. Myron Stratis

4. sw686blue

sw686blue Member

Where did you order it from and how much was it?

Nick

5. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

I'm currently in the process of trying to assess which vintage type bridge I should go with for a Grosh Retro Classic I have on order.

My other Grosh has a Gotoh 1088 bridge (with a Callaham steel block) which I really like but I'm leaning towards a vintage 6 point trem for this next one. The Gotoh's are probably the best made mass produced units in production today. Gotoh's quality is outstanding. There are however other contenders from a couple of smaller makers such as the Callaham S model and the D'Pergo RF Vintage Tremolo. Both feature authentic steel blocks. It looks like the new Wilkinson vintage trem might be manufactured by Gotoh seeing that they make the other Wilkinson bridges as well? Anyone know for sure?

The thing is the string spacing of these various units. I really like the string spacing on the Gotoh 1088 which is 10.8 mm I think (what would this be in inches?) Of the above mentioned trems - which one has the same (or closest) string spacing to the 1088?

Does anyone else have any experience with the Callaham, D'Pergo or the new Wilkinson units? Any opinions/suggestions/comments are highly welcome..............

6. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I love the Wilkinson VSVG bridges which I think offer some advantages over the purely traditional design, but don't have the exact vintage appearance.

Wilkinson VSVG

7. Myron Stratis

8. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

The problem with the Wilkinson bridge (at least in my case) is the vintage spec string spacing - 2 7/32 (2,21875). I need a vintage type bridge with a narrower string pitch like the Gotoh 1088 - 2 1/8.

It does appear to be well made however - it's a shame Wilkinson doesn't make versions of that that bridge with different string spacings to accomadate different tastes and styles.....

9. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

See above...

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

What's different about this over a Fender U.S. vintage trem?

Just the push in arm?

11. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

NuSkool - you sure the Wilkinson has 2 1/8 string spacing? According to the info in this ebay auction: 7357402499

the Wilkinson is 2 7/32 just like the vintage trems.

12. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

Allparts claims it's 2 1/8" spacing, which would be sweet. The vintage spacing is a bit too wide for my tastes. Looks like a killer bridge.

So compared to Fender, we got narrower spacing, push-in arm and the stagerred block string spacing.

13. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

It says right up there on that ad, "vintage spaced". ??

narrow spacing is on the cheap import Fenders.

what's the staggered block holes do?

14. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

Anyone know what the hole depth is on the bottom side of the inertia block? Is it shallow where the ball end of the string is visible (and accessible when a string breaks), or is it half way into the block like the VSVG and the Fenders?

15. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I got that spacing from wilkinson's site. I also remember John Suhr citing this. Don't hod me to it, but I'm pretty sure.

16. tWreCK

tWreCK Member

ok - thx :)

Btw, can you post the link to the wilkinson website? I've searched the net and couldn't find anything..............