anyone tried one of these...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DK207, Jan 29, 2006.

1. DK207

DK207 Member

Ebay item #7385151853 (sorry, can't make link work)

It is a volume control for Fender amps that runs through the effects loop, acting like an attenuator. For $15 I figured what the hell, might as well try it.

Anyone out there have any experience with this or similar items? I don't have the $$ to spend on a hotplate right now as "home improvement syndrome" (as dangerous as GAS) is setting in.

Thanks!

2. mustangman

mustangman Member

hmm they seem really cool, could work good with my concert. its just the shipping that gets me, $10 dollars for that little box.
    might give it a shot though.
    let me know if you get one.

3. DK207

DK207 Member

I ordered one, I'll post a review after I play with it for a bit. I went with another maker who charged $4 for shipping (seller=omnisonic), it looks like the same product. We'll see.

4. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

i just bought one from that dealer, i had an extra $25 around so i figured what the heck...hopefully it makes my blues deluxe more playable at my church because i mic it up and the amp gets real loud on stage

i'll post a review too after i use it for a while

5. mustangman

mustangman Member

sounds good guys let me know how they work when you get them. :AOK

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

If you guys are handy at all with a soldernig iron (come to think of it, you dont even need to be handy...just melt solder) and look on the net for it, it's a DIY thing that couldn't be easier. One potentiometer in a small metal box with input and output jacks.

That's it. Really!

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It's really more of a master volume than an attenuator-I'm not confident it'll work well on Fender vintage style amps (which get most of their OD from the phase invertor/power tubes). A post PI master might be better, albeit closer to $50.

8. mustangman

mustangman Member

you know your right, but does anyone have a wiring diagram cause i dont think its just a pot and some jacks. ( i was messing around with something like that)

thanks.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yes...in fact that is exactly all there is to it.
    You can search for [Fender "volume box"] (or add schematic in the search)....

or go here for one site with the drawing:
    http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/newland/2081/id3.htm

Anotehr good place (for more info) is the FDP forum, fender forum and do a search (don't need to be a member to search) on "volume box".

I've read in a few places folks liking it and folks saying "if you have a master volume this is a ripoff...does the same thing" which is true and false. I mean on Hot Rods anyway, the Master only does anything on the lead channel (drive channel).

But all it does is "bleed off" (voltage divide), attenuate the signal and make it smaller...less signal.

As far as I can see, if you want to see what kind of effect this will do, ANY pedal you have that has a volume control and that can be set to no or very little effect on the signal (like an EQ pedal, some OD pedals where you can set the gain to 0, neutralize the EQ, and set volume, etc.) put it in the loop and just turn down the volume. See how you like it.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

By the way, I realized, that may have come off like I was a little arrogant. It was not meant that way. There may well be another kind of "volume box", I didn't follow the link on ebay, but as far as I know if it is inserted in the FX loop, all it really can be as a volume control is a pot and two jacks (actually don't even need that...you could hard wire plugs into the box with enough room to plug into the SEND and RETURN). There may be some addons someone thought about, like som capacitors to make it sound better at lower volumes or something.

All I really know is this is the "volume box" they talk about on Fender Forums for being able to "push the amp, but keep the volume lower".

Of course, you are only pushing the preamp, not the power amp section.

11. DK207

DK207 Member

Cool, thanks for all the info. I'm sure that when I get mine and open it up it will be that simple. The ebay seller said he got the schematic from someone on the Fender forums. I'll take a pic of the guts when it arrives.

12. gururyan

gururyan Member

Yeah, let us know. I have a BD too and this looks cheap and fun.

13. mustangman

mustangman Member

well i made one, its ok, pretty much just a master volume box. here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. DK207

DK207 Member

So I got it last week and finally got around to trying it out. Not bad, allows me to crank the master volume up and have better control of overall volume (no more micro turns going from inaudible to way to loud). One problem is that it adds a small bit of hum. Not bad for the $20 I spent on it, I can finally get some warm, overdrive at a volume that doesn't make me cringe. I haven't tried it at gig volume yet, so that will have to wait for a bit (until I either am gigging again or I get off my lazy ass and finish my basement).

Overall, not a bad little device.

15. cleanthatbeast

cleanthatbeast Member

16. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

:huh