Anyone tried StewMAc Golden Age pups?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Crowbar, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Crowbar

Crowbar Member

I searched the forum for this, I found a thread from 2008 with no replies, HaHA!

Anyrate, I'll ask again, is anyone using StewMAc Golden Age humbuckers?
    I'm not into high gain sounds, I'm thinking of new pups just for coil tapping options.

Oh so while were at it, anyone use a coil tap on a LesPaul? I know one guitar with a Dimarzio "Dual Sound" on it, I don't find the cut sound useful. Once I played a PRS McCarty and the cut sounds were great.

I'm a blues/jazz/country player.

2. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

Yeah.. not overyly impressed... They work and meet the price point. Constuction was fine... nothing wrong with them .. just sounded bland.. I would have liked a little better definition in the top end. If I had to buy 50$ HBs again I would try GFS..

I put mine in an Epi les paul and in the neck of a 74 tele.. neither really liked them.
    Sold the LP and put a embossed Gibson PU in the tele.. never looked back

3. Charvel_ strat_81

Charvel_ strat_81 Member

:aok
    I have 4 all together i have the 9K paf,the 12K overwound one and a set of parson PAF's and all i can say is that for the money they cant be beat!:dude: for coil tapping get the 12K one

4. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I've never tried them. But for a little more you can get some DiMarzios.

5. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

I have two sets of the Parsons Street PAF's. They are in my SG and my LP Studio. Both sound great, and for a great price too.

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I confirmed it a few years back and I think this is still valid, that the Golden Ages are made in Korea by Artec alongside the GFS Premium Pickups, the Seymour "Duncan Designed" pickups and those "Artec" brand pickups I haven't been seeing many of as of late.

The Bill and Becky Lawrence "Keystone" line and other related pickups just are so much better value for money, as (for me) are some other brands and types of pickups, so I stopped just short of ordering a big batch.

7. antiquodian

antiquodian Member

I've used them. They sound OK. But I have decide that life is too short for OK pickups.

8. axpro

axpro Member

Got a setof parsons in one ofmy lespauls.... They are ok, but the earth didn't move when i played them. That being said i am used to abit of a weird pickup set in my standard players...