Anyone tried "The Dude" yet?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blue-moon, Oct 1, 2015.

1. GuitarToma

GuitarToma Silver Supporting Member

Hey guys -
    I played mine at practice on Saturday - I didn't tell the other guitar player that I had changed anything, just plugged in and started playing. He immediately looked at me and said, "Okay - what did you change - it sounds really good, like more bottom end". Then the drummer chimed in and said - "yeah man, that sounds really fat. Love it."

I have to say, I thought it sounded fantastic. Power chords and triads sounded big and full, and lead work really sung. I boosted after it with the Archer Ikon and it really took off. Good combo there. I didn't mess with the settings at all. I kept volume at unity which is at about 9:00 (tons of volume on tap), Ratio at about 3:00, Treble at about 1:00, and Deep at about 12:00.

Sorry no clips, just didn't have time at practice. If I can manage this week I'll try to post something.

For what it's worth I play a PRS CU24 (59/09 on the bridge, 57/08 on the neck) into a Matchless Lightning 15.

Multicellular and scolfax like this.
  2. 1morepedal

1morepedal Supporting Member

Just picked up a Dude from my local store after my favorite store employee there pointed it out to me. I plugged it in and man oh man, Robben Ford Dumble-dum was in the house! It's certainly not my "signature" sound but it was very different from any other overdrive/distortion pedal tone I have and it is very usable. (I'm currently using a Maxon SD9 for main overdrive tone.) The Dude has a woody, growly (but not crunchy) tone that I attribute to the Dumble sound. I have one of the early Zendrives which is supposed to emulate a Dumble, but I never would have attributed that tone to that pedal - at least to my ear. The Dude just apologetically screams "Dumble". I also really like the small form-factor. Not too thrilled about the extra weight (the pedal, not me :) ). I think there is some added lead or something to make it feel more substantial I guess. Anyway, I haven't had a chance to spend too much time with it yet, but I will try to report back when I do.

3. ce24fan

ce24fan Member

WINNER!!!

4. ce24fan

ce24fan Member

Mine arrived last Saturday, but i don't demo pedals on Shabbos...............

but seriously, if it can stand next to a Zen 2, then it's gotta be pretty good! Never thought i woulda gone for the Dumble tone, but i really dig it!

ArchDukeOfTops and willatkinson like this.
  5. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Do I to go back to Nam to find a link for this thing?

6. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Can anyone tell me what it sounds like through a dumble?

jasnc and gripweed like this.
  7. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

If you play it through a Dumble you will alter the space-time continuum and the only thing that will get you back is a modified DeLorean at 88 MPH!

Here is a really quick and dirty late-night demo: Go easy on the playing - It's been a long day. Hope you like!

guitar29, PTH III, Tarbender and 7 others like this.
  8. lv

lv Supporting Member

Great tones - super thick

9. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

Nice demo. Sounds great. Thanks.

10. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Fortunately I stepped away for two minutes to make a White Russian so had my beverage ready when the demo got to the point where the pedal was finally turned on.

11. Fusionshred

My assumption is that you are being sarcastic here so I will presumptively apologize for having wasted two minutes of your life.

Haunting Mids and GuitarToma like this.
  12. GuitarToma

GuitarToma Silver Supporting Member

Great demo and great playing Fusionshred. Pay no mind to the naysayers. And thanks for doing it.

13. Fusionshred

Thanks! Much appreciate the relevant feedback. When I get a chance I'd like to show the range of tones and gain available and will use a solidbody for some heavier stuff. Overall, I am really digging this pedal. Although I will say this - the amp you run through makes a big difference in the overall sound, too (duh!).

14. canadian tuxedo

canadian tuxedo Member

Wondering how this would compare to a Shin's Dumbloid. Always wanted a D-style and like this price point compared to the aforementioned one, the tones of which have always appealed to me. Can The Dude get as aggressive/in your face sounding? Local shop has one in so I'll probably go try it tomorrow.

15. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

Thanks for the great demo (no apologies necessary for any aspect). I found it much more useful than the one on Rockett's site.

16. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

Ton of respect for those who are willing to post videos of their playing. Not a ton of respect for those who feel the need to belittle those efforts.

The video gave me a much better idea of what this pedal can do than the rockett video. I never trust the professional demos.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    guitar29, joealba, Datsyuk and 2 others like this.
  17. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I like most Rocket pedals and have tried a couple of "dumble sound" pedals. I guess the dumble sound is thick with low mids. But I wasn't able to reduce the thick lower mids on the pedals that I tried. Can you reduce the thick lower mids on The Dude?

strattitude and OverDrivenGtr like this.
  18. strattitude

strattitude Member

I think the thick low mids on D style pedals is the reason why I never liked them all that much. it sounds great for fat leads on a bridge pickup but muddy when you switch to the neck pickup, so I would also like to know whether the mids or low mids can be dialed down a bit?

19. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

The Dude sounds great and one of the things that set it apart for me is more control of the low end with the deep control.

20. Fusionshred

Agreed and I will try and demonstrate this when I post a follow up demo with a solid body maybe over the weekend. The Deep control specifically controls the lower mids. In the demo, I have it at about 1 or 2 O'clock (a little higher than noon) but I will show the range next time and play through the neck pickup too.