Anyone tried the Fane alnicos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by J Purcell, Jan 6, 2006.

1. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

I was wondering how they compare to the ceramics and if they're worth the extra money.
    Thinking about putting one in a 1X12 cab.:rolleyes:

2. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

I've got a couple of amps that have the 12" Fane alnico speakers, and I love them. It seems like they can do almost any tone extremely well. They have great chime and clarity at lower volume, and a wonderful slight thickening and compression when you push on it some. They never flub out, and there is zero icepick even right in front of the speaker. Rated at 100W, they can really take punishment also. Never tried the ceramic Fane.

I am going to use two of the alnico 10s in a Kendrick Joy Zee kit, and am anxious to see how those perform. I've got a new-never unboxed alnico 12 (16 ohm) that I was going put into the JZ. I'll give you a deal on it if interested.

3. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

I'm interested. Send me an email with the price.
    John

4. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

I've got 2 of the Fane Blues 10 in. in my 2210 Kendrick Bassman. It's one of the amps made out of the 100 year old pine from an old whore house.
    Perfect for that amp. I have another 2210 with the Kendrick black frames that I'm afraid that any day the amp will smoke them.
    Comparing the Fanes to the Kendricks, they of course can handle ALOT more power, they do sound a bit softer and really shine when you slam them hard. Almost a trombone type tone, you're right, zero ice pick. A great upgrade, but really pricey. They did add some weight to the amp as well.

5. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

You've got an email!

6. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Another Kendrick lover, cool!! Check out the new K-Spot whenever you get the chance, it's a beast!!

7. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

It gets chunky and aggressive when pushed rather than smooth and creamy. Love it. If you get one, give it a long break in... mine sounded like ass brand new.

8. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

What type of amp are you using with your Fane?

With my Gerald Weber Signature Amp, the speakers get very smooth with a bunch of power put in them. This is a super smooth amp though.

With my K-Spot there is much more of that chunk when the amp is dimed. It can get pretty raw at full tilt much like a good plexi--just that "about to explode" sound.

I guess the Fane has plenty of character, but since it handles power so well it also let's the amp's natural voice sing. Other speakers seem to impose deficiencies when you are really nailing them like flubbing out, not Fanes.

+100 on the break in. They do sound odd when brand new, and they do seem to take a bit longer to break in than other speakers I've tried.

9. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I've got two of the Fane AXA12s as well, and I agree with all the positive comments above, including breaking them in. A really fantastic speaker - expensive, but well worth it. Of course, I got mine near new for around $200 each, which is much less than retail prices. I've been looking for a 10" 8 ohm for a while, but they rarely appear used.

10. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Probably be using the Fane in a 1X12 Two Rock ported cab with a Route 66 head although I may try it out in a Fuchs ODS50 1x12 combo. I've got a SRO white coffee can:dude in there now and it weighs a ton.

11. playon

playon Supporting Member

Everything the others said is true... they are killer speakers. A slightly darker, warmer version of the Celestion Blue that can take the power. They sound great at any volume, & love overdrive/distorted tones. It's amazing, usually a 100w speaker won't sound good with a small amp, but these do. Watch ebay, sometime you can get them factory reconed from the US distributor for a great price. I bought two of them this way about a year ago, for $190 each, they were basically brand-new speakers. The only thing they don't really do well is Fender sparkly clean tones, they definitely can do creamy and crunchy, and good darker blues tones, at least with my gear..

12. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have Fane Alnico in a MKIIC+ does great high gain lead tones and with the EQ set to scoop cops that heavy metal stuff. I like the sound of the clean channel and with the trebles turned down sounds like Santana. Works really well in this application. And it fits in the cab which is very tight.

[​IMG]

13. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

14. Rick0

Rick0 Member

15. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

2 Rock mod, Fuchs ODS 50, Rt 66, and used to own a Prescription ES... sounds great with all of them, but especially the Fuchs which can be a bit smooth for my taste with other speakers.

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I owned one of the Climax amps with the 10" alnico Fanes. The other thing is that they're about the loudest speakers out there-to my ears louder than JBL, louder than Blues-with 40 watts from the Climax, set clean, I had to use an attenuator to get the kind of distortion I was used to getting from a 100w Marshall thru 412 greenbacks. The ceramics I have (mid-70s) are not quite as loud, don't have quite the same sweetness (more of a Celestion G12H30 sound to them) but are still great speakers, and they will handle more power than a Celestion.

17. Rick0

Rick0 Member

I find the Fane alnico 12's to be a bit inefficient, (at least compared to EVM 12L's etc), and very sweet. I have G12H30's and I don't think that they sound much like Fanes. I've never tried the 10's though.

18. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I love the Fane AXA12 paired with a Two Rock 12-65 or a Scholz. Incredible tones and power, at any volume - perfect blends.

19. mikecee

mikecee Member

I have a 10 inch iAlnico in a custom made tweed champ repro. Unreal tone. The amp, made by Kendrick, is really fantastic. It has been my go to amp for three years. Takes any tubes, no issues and just gives up tone.

My Swart has become my go to amp now but only because it has a wider range of sounds and reverb and tremolo.

I have been thinking about putting a fane 12 in the Swart but I don't know how it will sound and it's an expensive test.

Mike

20. Occam

Occam Member

Damn I hate these threads...I'd really love to load a Matamp 4x12 with them :(