Anyone tried the Jackson Audio Golden Boy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CreedBraton, May 9, 2020.

1. CreedBraton

CreedBraton Member

Just got one to compare to my KoT and immediately heard how bright the Golden Boy was. I noticed there are two internal trim pots that aren't noted anywhere so I decided to mess with them. Turns out it adjusts the presence of the pedal and it has now fit into my rig so much better.
    Just wondering if anyone else has messed with the pedal much?

2. lv

lv Supporting Member

How do you like it? Lots of features - I’m tempted to pick one up to compare to my snouse bb2.

3. #EastCoastSurfer

#EastCoastSurfer Supporting Member

I got one. I started a thread on it but nobody replied at all haha. Thought I was the only one that bought one. I really like it. Im having a tough time deciding if the sound and increased versatility warrants kicking my Ceriatone Horsebreaker pedal off my board or not. Still on the fence. While I like the blue (KOT) setting my favorite is the Green ( TS clipping ) mode. That along with the transparent boost really sounds great. Im setting up my new board with a Morningstar MC8 so the midi functionality is really appealing but that housebreaker pedal sounds so dang good

4. CreedBraton

CreedBraton Member

The blue mode is the "Timmy" mode. Magenta is supposed to be the KoT mode. I know on the website it states blue mode has clipping found in king of tone and Timmy but in this video he states the magenta mode is "based of a popular purple pedal with a loyal and 'royal' following" obviously thatmeanskingof tone. So it's a bit confusing but when comparing it to my king of tone, the magenta mode sounded closest.

I also have an MC8 and the added flexibility for midi on the golden boy is really great! The MC8 is an incredible piece of gear.

At 3:40 in the video he talks about the magenta mode. Funny too because later in the video he says the blue mode has asymmetrical clipping but the website says that the magenta mode has asymmetrical clipping...kinda weird to have such wildly inaccurate information of your own pedal.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    bulbasaur_85 likes this.
  5. Viking999

Viking999 Member

I've got one on order; looking forward to trying it out. It'll be my first blues-breaker style drive pedal

6. Teleman76

Teleman76 Tubes-a-glowin Silver Supporting Member

Love mine. Bought it the day it was released. Killer pedal. Have noticed the last sweep on the gain range from 4:00-5:00 is where the gain drastically jumps and more saturation introduced. The blue mode and amber drive sections are so open and articulate. Love the various flavors of boost as well. Really digging it.

Daren Anderson likes this.
  7. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

Nice find - thanks for clearing that up.

For those that have tried or heard both, how does this compare to the Broken Arrow?

hippieboy likes this.
  8. Jeff Stocks

Jeff Stocks Member

I have the GB, BA, and the Belle Starr. They all sound great but are all different.

The BS has a nice chimey compressed sound that is good for low gain rhythm. It kind of sounds like a Vox on the edge of breakup.

The BA is higher gain and can be very smooth or kind of ragged depending on the mode. I use it for lead and heavier rhythm. I use the Marshall or Timmy mode most.

To me, the GB sits between the two. It’s a lighter sounding drive that is smoother than both the other Jackson drives and not quite chimey and not so compressed. It can definitely get gainy but I prefer the BA for that.

I think it’ll be my heavy rhythm pedal or maybe melody lines or parts.

They are all good but the Belle Starr is probably my fav out of the three, not that anyone asked. It’s the least flexible but just sits so well in a mix and sounds good through the gain range.

donderom and bulbasaur_85 like this.
  9. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

Great comparison, thank you for sharing.

10. Doncapili

Doncapili Member

Has anybody seen user demos out there?

Nigel Davenport likes this.
  11. donderom

donderom Member

Is the boost side the same as in Broken Arrow?

12. loganme

loganme Supporting Member

I just got mine tonight. Replaced a Blue Note and Zen Drive clone. It's really, really fantastic. The Amber drive and tailored boost combo sounds so damn good to me, it's crazy.

I'm incredibly happy with it and I've only scraped the surface of setting it up with my MC6.

bulbasaur_85 likes this.
  13. lv

lv Supporting Member

Has anyone compared it to the snouse black box?

14. Doncapili

Doncapili Member

Does the golden boy do dumble sounds? Since it replace your zendrive?

15. loganme

loganme Supporting Member

To be honest with you, I'm not even sure what Dumble sounds means, I'm probably not a good enough player to know the difference :) But what I will say is that into my AC15HW, I've yet to find a sound from the Golden Boy that I don't REALLY like. Today I was playing around with it a bit and the EQ on the pedal is also really terrific, I feel like you can dial in just about any type of OD sound with the clipping, gain stage, and boost options on this pedal. Oh and you can do it all through MIDI!

16. Cheycaster

Cheycaster Member

I got one in the mail coming. The concept of the Jackson Audio pedals just seem so needed it sounds to cool to be true but Ive gone thru all the videos on it out there and it sounds great to these 62 year old ears!

17. Cheycaster

Cheycaster Member

Good info to know. I have one sent out on Friday coming !

18. TyEadsie

TyEadsie Member

Are you controlling the GB via an omniport? If so, how did you set the internal jumpers?

19. Teleman76

Teleman76 Tubes-a-glowin Silver Supporting Member

All modes of drive are great and highly useable. I run the GB near the front of signal chain as the boost(s) on it work really well with all my other drives in the signal chain. The Magenta (KoT) is really good as is the blue and the amber (plexi). Very open and articulate. Still very much impressed with this unit and more so with a couple weeks with it. Amazing pedal.

20. TyEadsie

TyEadsie Member

I’m also a big fan of this pedal. I like blue best for general use, but also like the magenta for throatier sounds. Also the EQ is really helpful and usable. All the frequencies are dialed nicely. Also, all 4 boost modes are dialed really well. Perfect for gaining up for lead lines or going from a verse to chorus. The amount of possible gain options just using the different boosts is CRAZY.

Once I got it, it immediately became my #1 drive pedal.