Anyone tried the new BB Plus??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JimmyR, Feb 27, 2008.

1. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I see that the Xotic BB+ has finally started shipping. There are some clips on Youtube but I didn't find them very helpful as they were with a Strat and not my kind of playing etc.

Anyone tried one?

2. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

You could always buy a strat and play some blues there young fella...;) lol

3. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Well with no disrespect to the guy doing the demos it's kinda hard to tell if the BB+ is any good from the sound quality of the clips. Anyway - who ever heard of playing blues on a Strat??

4. Stressfest

Indeed...all's needed is a Gorilla amp and a metal zone :p

5. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Geez - can't a fella ask a simple question here already?? BTW Stress I reckon you'd like a PRS SC245 with your Gorilla amp collection. I tried one when I was in the US and it's pretty good - right up your alley I would have thought.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had tried the Xotic BB+...

6. Stressfest

I've had a twitchy trigger finger on this one too...love to hear some comments before i bite the bullet.

7. brianf

brianf Member

Since we are on the topic, what are the main differences between the AC+ and BB+?

Thanks

brianf

8. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I'm supposed to do a video demo of it if they can get one to me. They're pretty scarce right now.

9. MikeyB59

MikeyB59 Member

I have one and feel like I'm just getting a grip on it. So far I love it for everything from not-quite-transparent boost (though still useable even for jazz chord melody) to big singing sustain. I've tended towards the lower gain end of both sides, but there's a ton of gain on tap. The compression options really change the responsiveness a lot. Hard compression gives more immediate gain/crunch while the lower compression makes the whole thing more touch sensitive.

I need more time with it and more gigs (first gig with it tomorrow night), but my initial impression is that it's a pedal I'll be using for a long time.

For comparison, other pedals I like and use are an original Klon (soon to be for sale I think), a couple of older Rats and a whole slew of TS type pedals. I like blues into blues/rock and fusiony levels of gain. This thing has all that and more going for it. In the higher gain territory you get a cranked Marshall kind of thing which would be great for all kind of flavors of classic rock sounds.

Unlike a lot of pedals (the Rat being a notable exception), the sound with the gain way down is really nice and can make a basic Fender sound wake up and get responsive without getting into any really "gainy" terrain. One thing I love about the Rat is setting it up the way Scofield does with low gain, high volume, to just make the amp have a little more personality. The BB can do a similar thing and you have even more control over how it reacts.

I agree about the demo on YouTube. I couldn't really tell what this thing was going to do from that, though I could tell immediately that it didn't sound bad. It can be a much better clean boost than you hear on the demo and can also just turn nuclear with both channels engaged. Many many flavors on tap here and a very organic sound.

10. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

There have been a couple of recent threads about the BB+. Here's what I wrote yesterday...

A totally cool pedal. There are lots of different sounds with this puppy. You can use either channel as a boost or od/dis.

I love it because it give me nice amp-like crunchy rhythm using just channel A, a Marshall like od using just channel B, or a sustaining lead tone using both. (I have it set up Chan A>Chan B)

In addition, it has a very transparent, amp-like, organic sound, the quality of your guitar really shines through on both channel. It doesn't "smear" the sound of the individual strings as much as most other distortions I've tried.

It's the best od/dis pedal I've heard.

11. CodeTitan

CodeTitan Member

I just received my BB Plus yesterday and although I have only played with it for about 1 hour, I gotta say I'm pretty impressed with it. Comparing it with my original BB Preamp, the Plus version seams a little more transparent and has the ability to have better touch sensitive dynamics (when the Comp button is set to "soft"). Also by combining Channel A and B you can get much more gain than the origanl BB alone can. The pedal sounds heavenly running through the Bassman channel on my Fender Supersonic with my PRS McCarty. The original BB pedal has been my favorite distortion pedal for a while now, but I think the new "Plus" model is going to take it's place really soon.

12. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

One of the best OD's I've ever owned! The A Channel with HARD compression is basically like the original BB Preamp, if you switch it to SOFT it becomes even more transparent. The B Channel has a ton of gain on tap and instead of the single tone control on the A side, it has 3 separate controls for Bass, Mids, and Treble. It's one of those pedals that's sounds really good no matter how you set the controls, and when you experiment with the channel stacking options, the tonal possibilities are endless...AWESOME BURNT ORANGE METALFLAKE FINISH!