Anyone tried the V-Stack?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JC-Tonequest, Nov 13, 2005.

1. JC-Tonequest

JC-Tonequest Supporting Member

Just wondering if anyone has tried or owns the V-Stack (classic in particular) OD/pre-amp. I am mainly interested in running it into the clean channel on my amps to get a class A type of glassy medium gain sound.

2. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

Everyone and their brother had them a year or so ago. I tried the BHM and the Classic. Neither was any better than my Boss Blues Driver to my ear. They were thin and took more away from the tone that they added.

I would suggest looking at the Fulltone OCD.

JT

3. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I've had the V-Stack since they came out. I also have a ton of other great lead pedals (from Xotic, Hermida, Fulltone, etc). The V-Stack is a great way to get killer marshall tones out of a clean amp. Just as advertised. A couple of years ago, I brought mine with a Rev Hellhound to a major gathering of gear page freaks in LA to a big jam. It was up against some very high end stuff and this cheap rig left a lot of jaws on the floor. I love my other pedals but I'd never sell my V-stack. Just another great, great lead flavor in the Marshall vein. Sure, not everyone's cup-o-tea, but the rave reviews by serious players are definitely justified, imho.

jon

4. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    i'm pretty much w/jon on this. got a Tweedy, then someone gave me a Classic for my birthday (thanks, bud), and intend to keep both.

:cool:

5. JC-Tonequest

JC-Tonequest Supporting Member

Does either the Classic or the BHM get a good AC30 sound thru the clean channel on a tube amp?

6. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

V-stacks are great pedals !!!! Best direct box around.
    Some amps they will sound thin, and I don't like them with
    other pedals. I have both the classic & BHM. Classic is more
    versatile, but the BHM has a nastiness to it that no other pedal
    has.

You just have to try it with your amp to know if it has your name
    on it. No amount of posts can tell you that.

Tried the tweedy, but it was mud to my ears.

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

Still got my Tweedy (I think Hawkeyeinexile recommended it to me) - there was an interesting thread on this about a year or so ago - which probably means two years ago..........

Best, Pete.

8. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))

yeah, man!

good news-bad news/tech note: my Tweedy stopped switching. thought, jeez, a mechanical prob. oh, well, i have the Classic to fall back on. it in turn started flaking. thought, jeez, gotta contact Steve Webster.

just on a whim&wish, pulled & measured their batt.s: 8.5 and 8.4 vdc. now i thought when the battery started to drain, the pedal would just start to get a little weak over time, fade, then stop...

turns out fresh batts fixed everything.

good news: i learned something & pedals are great again for another 500 hrs or so :D

bad news: i'm a dumb@$$ :eek:

:cool:

9. DrDespair

DrDespair Member

I have a BHM.

You can use it as simple treble-booster.
    And you can have Insane(!) amounts of gain and sustain from earsplittingly Bright and nasty to violin-Dark and smooth.
    Little noise, considering the gain.

I tried it with mesa boogie subwayblues, Heritage briton (AC30Style), and a lousy Peavey classic X0 4x10. Monster.

I cannot understand the Bluesdriver comparison (had one).
    Maybe a broken Unit?

See you
    DrDespair

10. exodus

exodus Member

I like the tweedy the best-- great pedal. I think quite a few people who sold off their v-stack last year didn't like it because they weren't using it right. If you read old posts you'll notice it-- they think its a boost or OD pedal, and its not. Its an analog amp simulator--totally different beast. Its best into clean amps with a flat eq. The key (i've found) is not to overdrive the amp with the pedal, but use the pedal's drive tone. Its pretty amazing even into a solid state amp.

11. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

GREAT pedals all three, Classic is great for Plexi/Metalfront tones, BHM is REAL fun from bright AC30 to over the top eehh Brian May :D . Tweedy is the Fender side of things, actually i also like it for Dumble style sounds.
    AND they work's amazingly good for direct recording.

EDIT:

Realised that the other clipped sucked, here's a better one. V-stack Classic, into PXR4 no EQ just a bit of echo added, Tele style guiatar bridge PU:
    http://www.beggat.com/planket/abergdahl/STORMYVSTACK.mp3

12. muddy

muddy Member

it's a great pedal (all flavors) that does as advertised if used properly, and for a reasonable amount of money. it'll never fall into obselescence, it's just too good at what it does. just bcause it ain't fashionable anymore doesn't mean it no longer does the job. my ears knew what they were hearing when i stumbled across this thing a few years ago. and steve, aside from being a genius, is a sweetheart of a guy!

ml

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

HUGE fan of the V-Stack Classic here (haven't tried their others). A real go-to, keep-in-gig-bag piece of gear for me...

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

I like the "Tweedy" a lot, it really loosens up BF Fenders.

Best, Pete.

15. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I got the Classic a few years ago per Muddy's recommendation and then got a Tweedy when they first came out. Both are excellent. There have been numerous threads about how the Classic doesn't sound good with certain amps, but with most they both sound fantastic. And they are wonderful for direct recording, which is what they were designed for. And to reiterate, they are not typical OD pedals, rather they are 'analog' amp modeling pedals, and so you have to learn to tweak the knobs with a different mind set to get the desired results.

I also got a 'Bernie' pedal from Steve earlier this year, before he sold the company. It's a one-off, designed around the 'Bernie' amp, which is a low wattage amp some guy in Canada made from an old tube Bell & Howell film projector. Apparently only a few were ever made and Steve modeled one for someone. I think I have the only one. It's got 2 gain stages - input/output, and a Tone control and Master level, housed in a Tweedy box. It's got a wonderful range of tones, from a clean boost to various levels of OD. I'm using it as a clean boost. I recently bought a Burriss Boostier after reading many rave reviews. The Boostier is wonderful, but the Bernie gets me virtually the same exact tones, but with more versatility, so I'm returning the Boostier.

I also recently sold my Dual Drive, because the Bernie is a better clean channel and the Tweedy gets me into the same OD territory as the DD. Really amazing pedals.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i gotta be honest, at first, i didnt like my Classic at all. thought it sounded a bit soft, and the overdrive too wimpy. not really toothy enough. didnt quite have the chunk i wanted.

but a few weeks ago, a friend borrowed it for some tracking, and was totally surprised at his results! when i first heard his demo, i asked him what he used to track a few of the sounds, cause i was really diggin' 'em. and he said it was 100% V-Stack Classic! forget about modelers. this pedal is ALL you need.

even for live sounds, the pedal wasnt too shabby either. he had the patient to actually dial it in, unlike myself, and while i'm actually playing drums for my bud, from my drummer throne, i was totally digging the sounds from his PRS into his Twin Reverb.

AND, it sounds AWESOME w/ my bass for some instant rockin' thick bass OD tones. totally nails the beasties "Sabotage" or the Doves "Last Broadcast" tones. :AOK

i've been sooo highly impressed that i'm seriously considering the BHM pedal, too.

17. carltonh

carltonh Member

The thing that jumped out to me about the pedal was how playing it made me think of Yngwie Malmsteen's tone. I couldn't play like him, but with the V-Stack, you didn't need anything else to get his smooth sustaining overdriven Marshall tone. I never tried the direct function.

18. rewog

rewog Member

I tried a Tweedy and didn't like it at all.
    The tone sounded very processed and un-natural to me. That was through a Peavey Classic 20 - generally a very pedal friendly amp.
    The guy I sold it to liked it though.

19. Army of BONO

Army of BONO Member

I think it sounds cool as a direct box but I hated it with my Hex.

20. Electric I

Electric I Member

That is one sweet sounding clip. Nice work.