Anyone tried this Wrap TP?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 57special, Jan 4, 2008.

1. 57special

57special Member

2. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Saw what? (GRIN)

Dana O.

3. 57special

57special Member

Oops! Fixed now. Thanks, Dana. Hey, wasn't it you who plays in a band with a great tech who wires up guitars so they go direct to the input, bypassing the tone controls? If so, have you had it done to any of your guitars?
    I might have you mixed up with someone else, so apologies in advance.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

I think that's a new item for them. Haven't tried it.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i've got them in stock, but haven't installed one yet. it looks nice in the package, and i love the idea of a lightweight wraparound that fixes intonation issues but looks stock from a distance.

6. 57special

57special Member

Let us know when you install one, Walter!

7. Dana Olsen

Hey '57, Jack, Walter - Happy New Year, Ya'll!

'57, it's not me who has such a tech - wouldn't that be nice. I have tried going direct from the pickup to the output jack - I think that's what you mean - and it does have a bit more output and, I don't really know, more highs and more lows too, but it's a bit unwieldy.

EVH did some of that, as I understand it - had a tone circuit bypass switch. My thought was that if you could stand as far away from your amp as EVH gets to, it'd work. At most clubs where I play, it'd feed back a lot.

BTW, (back to the original question) that's a great looking stud tailpiece from Allparts. My pal Jim Lombard in Santa Barbara modded a couple regular stock studs that functioned like the Allparts by cutting a line in the top of the bridge and inlaying a fret, actually several frets,, into the bridge. It worked great because there are no moving parts, and I think that's the ticket, no moving parts.

All the bridges I've tried that have moving parts didn't cut it for me in the tone department - Leo Quan etc. In the past I've solved intonation issues with string gauge experimentation (the story of my life - wind up using custom sets on the stud tailpiece guitars - SHEESH!)

This one looks like a winner to me. Walter, let us know (when you finally get to install one) if it works as well as it needs to (GRIN).

Thanks, Dana O.

8. 57special

57special Member

Dana, I thought you played with Niel Young's guitar tech, and i thought he was the guy who modded guitars for a direct out. I've probably got it completely wrong, agin (not a bad title for a Country tune).

I think I'll try one out in my Junior. The best thing I've tried in there for tone is a Pigtail non adjustable Wrap, but it would be nice to get something less expensive, and a bit more accurate intonation wise to boot. Sometimes TP's can be too light/flimsy and create an unpleasant resonance or ghost note. The Pigtail sounds solid, even though they are light.

9. Dana Olsen

I do play with Larry. The band, the Bar Association, is a pretty traditional Honky Tonk style band - twang, torch, train & dance stuff with Fiddle, Tele, and Steel doing leads, harmonies and fills. In the context of that band I don't know if I'd have a use for the tone bypass circuit. But you've sparked my memory ....

Now that you mention it, Larry's Esquire is set up that way - it's got a 3 way switch for dark tone, regular tone control, and bypass - I'd kinda forgotten about it (Larry's been on the road with Neil the last several gigs, so we've had to 'make do' with David Phillips and Bobby Blue Black on Steel (GRIN).

I try to get a great twang tone with the Bar Assoc., which I do by turning the treble up a little too high and rolling the vol back a crack on the guitar, and riding the tone knob a little too - this on my Tone King Meteor II. I do have occasion to use the neck pickup, but I've played Larry's Esquire at rehearsal and it's quite good sounding, especially for a brand new re-issue. Of course, he also owns some old ones.... I recall it being bright on the bypass (Duh - that's what it's for). Next gig's in Feb -- I'll ask him about it, see if I can try it out again and report back.

Larry's a multi-instrumentalist - he plays barri and tenor sax for Neil's band as well as some banjo, dobro, lap, and acoustic guitar, some organ and piano too, but I think if him as a Steel player and forgot about his guitar playing (How could I do that?) It's funny, I don't usually think of Larry as a tech, I think of him as the guy I rehearse melody and fill lines with - a player, not so much as a tech. Context.

You have a good memory there, better than mine, Dana O.

10. 57special

57special Member

The tinkerer in me is thinking of building a Junior with a bypass switch on it, making a basic guitar even more so.
    Of course, i could always put in a tele control plate and do something similar to the Esquire, but i have doubts about the use of a preset bassy sound on a Junior. Seems easier to just use a tone control knob.
    Actually my memory is pretty shot, but i do latch onto the odd bit of trivia now and again. I use my 8 year old as my personal palm pilot, as most things such as bank account and phone #'s, scheduling, due dates on library books ,etc., just don't stick with me. I'm actually taking up Chinese writing right now, and remembering the characters is REALLY slow going.

11. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

I'm interested in this particular bridge, too. If anyone grabs one please post a review. Thanks!

Jim

12. Bob V

Bob V Member

The attempt at compensation for the saddle seems like what PRS did on the McCarty hardtail. There's a TonePros bridge with individually adjustable saddles on a wrap around tailpiece that's a good alternative.

13. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

I decided to take the plunge on this model, I'll let you know my impressions when it arrives.

From CV Guitars....

[​IMG]

14. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

^^^^

Man those look great! Definitely gonna check em out.

15. 57special

57special Member

Walter, did you try one of the allparts Tp's yet?

16. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

The CV's are designed to work only with those guitars with uneven studs, like pre- '61 SG Jr's ... early Les Pauls, etc. w/o the lightning bolt compensation design.

The All Parts looks like its intonated for the rest where the studs are even across the body.

17. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

I just ordered:

the Allparts intonated aluminum bridge tailpiece to maintain is original looks as much as possible and since they explained it was intonated for guitars where the spacing from the nut is the same for both the treble and bass sides given that the lighting rod intonation seems to be very good with this guitar;

and

the studs and inserts from Pigtail since they are made of steel and meant to have a precise fit with this style of the bridge tailpiece to communicate to the instrument body better.

18. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

I got mine today -- I am still waiting for the steel studs and inserts that I ordered from Pigtail a week ago.

The bridge tailpiece came bubble wrapped on an All Parts card along with studs and inserts of its own. When I spoke to All Parts at the time of ordering, they said they thought it was Japanese in origin so I figure that hardware is metric.

Its my hope that the threads on the Pigtail studs will fit into the Gibson inserts for an immediate install and trial ... if not I guess I need to order an insert puller from Stew-Mac, unless some knows an easy/obvious home method.

19. 57special

57special Member

someone here on TGP who's name escapes me at the moment- from MA, i think, had a great method for pulling inserts.
    - score finish on the border between the insert and wood with a thin knife blade so finish and wood bits don't come up with the insert. Tape cardboard around area for protection should something drop.
    - get dowel from local hardware thing enough to fit down the hole of insert. Can be wood, plastic, metal, i guess.
    - screw stud down into insert. When it hits the dowel, the insert should slowly lift up.

tip- you could try softening up the finish and /or possible glue used around insert by touching a soldering iron to the insert till very warm (not burning hot). Make sure not to overdo this should you try it, as the finish around the insert area can get damaged if too much heat is used.

Interested in how you like the TP. In looking at the design, i can see how the break angle on some of the strings might not be as sharp as on an original type. Don't know if it matters.

I would try the Gotoh TP with the existing studs first. You might find that the TP makes enough difference that the Pigtail stuff is unnecessary.

20. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Hi...Do you have any Prariewood guitars for sale??