Anyone try 6L6s in Peavey Windsor Studio?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trpullen, Jul 29, 2008.

1. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

I know there is some respect for this amp but has anyone tried other tubes/speakers?

2. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Not a huge amount of respect from what I hear.

3. el greco

el greco Member

I've heard good things about this amp but still can't find one to check it out.

4. Point to Point

Point to Point Member

This seems like it wants to be the Carr Mercury for everyman. Similar kinds of features - anyone heard them back-to-back?

5. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I tried this amp briefly in a local shop and found it to be an absolutely useless POS

6. trpullen

Thank you both for completely ignoring my question and interjecting your own thoughts anyway. I have no idea what I would have done without you.:stir

7. trpullen

One more try....anyone put 6L6s in their Windsor Studio?

8. sfletch

sfletch Member

Not yet, but I'm thinking about it. I've gigged a Windsor Studio quite a bit over the last 6 months. It's done pretty well, it's a good rock amp. I don't know if it's the speaker or what, but it really seems to lack bass for my taste. I dunno of the 6L6 might improve that, get it a little more clean headroom.

I've played this amp a LOT, and today had it cranking at home while I tested a guitar...in the stock form, I find the gain a little hairy, and I think a 6L6 might have a tigher response.

I don't agree that it's a piece of crap, but your mileage may vary. It's not a boutique amp, but I think it's fair for the price and can be really fun.

9. shaun

shaun Member

I've used 6L6, KT88, KT77, KT66,6Ca7, EL34, E34L. The 6L6 was ok, tried a sylvania and a RCA . Preferred the sylvania STR387, but, liked the shuguang KT66 better than the 6L6s. With these tubes, the output drops to 10-12 watts. The amp came with a JJ El34, which ,was slightly anemic. I've owned the amp for almost a year, and now prefer the JJE34L or the KT66. I also, swapped out the Peavey speaker for a Weber alnico,and run a 112 cabinet with a alnico blue dog. I'm certainly not an amp tech, but the simple tube and speaker mods, made this a terrific sounding set up. I've yet to try 30 watt models of the E34L, and the KT66, but hope to, in the future. As always, YMMV, good luck!