Anyone try a humble Emi Legend in DRRI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by candid_x, Sep 20, 2012.

1. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Been through a few speakers in this amp, latest being the infamous C-Rex for about 7 months now. I love the Pure 64 Silver Series ll in an ext cab, but I haven't been able to get hold of Mark to order another for the combo, beside, the SSll just doesn't sound near the same in the combo cab. Meanwhile I play through the ext cab, and still looking for the right speaker (for me) in this combo cab, and came across the humble and once very popular Emi Legend, so thought I'd ask if any here have any comment on that speaker in this amp.

I'm only seeking comments on this make/model speaker. I know there's lots of great speaker alternatives out there. I'm just wondering about this one. Thanks.

2. teleman55

teleman55 Member

That Legend 125 is basically what the Fender branded Eminence speaker was that they put in the earlier DRRI amps. A lot of people dissed those speakers, but I had one in my silverface for a while and it was good. Not great, but a good, "Fender" sounding speaker. More efficient, i.e. louder than the old Oxford, CTS, Jensen, etc. and stouter, so a little stronger bottom end, but basically in that old Fender amp groove, with all the good and bad that comes with that.
    I really like the Eminence Legend 122 in mine. The K version that's 35W. The 20W one might be even better but I'd fry it. These aren't real efficient so you lose some volume but my amp sings with one of these. Especially for blues.

3. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

I'd bet dollars for donuts the EMI Legend 1258 was the same speaker as the Fender branded EMI. I took some physical measurements and they were identical.

I didn't care for the Legend in my DRRI. Put a Weber 12F150 in and liked it better. Put a Weber California in a liked it best.

4. candid_x

I'm also wondering if that's what was in an old Line 6 cab I had, which they called a satellite cab. Actually had no complaints with that speaker, but that's perfect for modeling amps. But it worked well with other amps too. Not great, but well.

Thanks for all of your experience shared with this speaker. The circle in the center of the magnet gives the illusion of it being smaller than the stock Emi speakers before they went back to Jensens, so I found your measurements helpful, Teleman55.

I'd just wondered with all the marketing and varieties, if the simple Legend hadn't been overlooked. It seems to have the perfect frequency response for a DRRI or DR, but it also seems kind of 2-dimensional.

I don't think the light dope Weber 12F150 would do it for me, though it does sound pretty in this amp. I am in distortion 50% of the time, and like creamier sounding speakers, which is why almost any G12-65 or clone would sound good. But then I sacrifice the kind of clean beauty the 12F150 offers.

Someone mentioned "wooly" for 12-65's but that's my issue with the CRex. I'm not a hemp cone guy for this amp. I like that paper-crisp edge, but not with distortion pedals. 12-65's and CRex are almost designed for smooth gain/distortion. But I find the soft edge/attack and smokey quality of the CRex disturbing when I want crispness in cleans.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  5. DuncanNZ

DuncanNZ Member

Mark Baier ships the Deluxe/20112 with one these days. I think the Headstrong Lil King does too. They're good. Personally I preferred the Jensen reissue in the Vic Deluxe but honestly the latter was fine, and louder. That was the main reason I went Jensen in the first place, to lower the volume.

BTW, ToneQuest Report rates the 15" Legend (which I have in my Vic Regal) as prob the bext 15" round. It's great.

6. candid_x

Thanks, Duncan, good info. If you happen to see a sweet burst hardtail Legacy around Wellington, tell her I miss her.

Also going to look into the Eminence Legend 122.

7. picnic

picnic Member

I hae liked the Emi GB128's in my Vox and Vox style amps. Not in the BFDR style amps. Dr M is right, Weber 12F150 or a Cali are better choices for the DRRI.

8. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

The 1258 has a cool 10 db bump around 3k, excellent choice if you want a more solid tone from a DR.

9. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

It was the same speaker, but most of the complaints go away when the speaker BREAKS IN!