Anyone try a Port City 2x12 (not OS) with greenbacks?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mic, Apr 17, 2008.

1. mic

mic Member

hey everyone. i was wondering if any of you have tried this combination. i'm in the market right to purchase two greenbacks - pretty sure i'm going with the heritage series - and wanted to get some feedback about this particular combo. in particular, i've heard it's good to run the g12m's in a closed back cab in order to augment the bass response, and i've heard also that port city wave cabs do augment bass response though not a traditional closed back cab.

so does the port city cab "take care" of the g12m's thinner bass response?

2. mic

mic Member

the heritage g12m's will be here monday!

you guys have any feedback?

3. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I think the standard 2x12 with greenbacks sounds awesome. I tested one of these cabs with my homebuilt TW Express amp and it sounded perfect. Not boomy, enough bass, sweet mids. You can't go wrong with that combo. I now own three PC cabs. The OS1x12, OS2x12, and the standard 2x12. I'm done......

4. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

got one on the way too...

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I considering one of the PC cabs. Tonewise do you think the OS is better than the standard cab? Thanks Bob

6. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

the OS should have better low end. I am going to load mine with a G12-65 heritage celestion and match it with a 40 watter head. should be a great portable combination

7. mic

mic Member

thanks for the responses guys.

fusionbear, what amp are you pushing those greenbacks with?

just out of curiosity, has anyone used a badger with a port city 2x12 loaded with greenbacks?

8. mic

mic Member

hey guys, one more quesiton...at least.

have any of you a/b'd the 2x12 OS with the 2x12 regular port city cab?

when i emailed port city amps about this, he told me the os breathed a little more and was less compressed. i was all set on the regular 2x12, but i play through a badger, and one of the things i'm having a little trouble controlling is how compressed it can get at times with heavier od. this issue seemed to be augmented after i got two heritage g12m's and mounted them in a closed back cabinet. at least with my les paul, it started sounding pretty compressed - again at higher saturation levels.

all of that to say, would the OS help much with this?

i'm pretty set on the regular 2x12 due to the size issue. i do not need it to be louder - in fact, the quieter the better. and from what i hear, both of the 2x12 cabs can take on the characteristics of a 4x12 cab, which i really do want.

anyhow, what do you all have to say?

9. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

Don't know if this helps but I have an os 2x12 with eminence GB's and has a nice balance of everything. It's not a very heavy cabinet and can easily be carried with one hand.

10. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Port City user here.

I have a regular 2x12 Wave, and I use a pair of G12H30's in it for my TopHat King Royale head.

I absolutely love it, nice and even, plenty of bass. This cab destroys most others I've tried.

No compression issues, but then I'm not super super gained-out.

I don't know what kinda gain levels you're dialing in (OP), but if it's too much then I can tell you that the cab ain't gonna fix the problem.

11. mic

mic Member

thanks for the feedback guys.
    i ended up getting the standard 2x12 cab.

i played with it in a band situation last night, and my first impression is that it is an awesome cab.
    i only played through it with my tele, so my review is limited...still need to rock it with the les paul and strat.
    anyway, the bass response seemed just right along with the low mids.
    lower notes i used to "loose" with my other cabs cut through very clearly, but not in a harsh way at all.
    everything was just really smooth and very open with the heritage greenback's.

hey doc.
    with the badger and the power scaling, it seems easy to get into too much compression, so that was my concern.
    honestly, it really is due to my lack of control when it comes to dialing in gain.
    sometimes i think it's right for a minute and then realize it's too much when i really get going with the band, and i'm not used to playing with master volume type amps.
    anyhow, the port city cab is way more open sounding than the lopo traditional closed back i was using...and it is just a way better sounding cab, IMO of course.

talk to you all later.
    thanks again.

mike

12. Grumpyfatman

Grumpyfatman Member

What kind of tones do you go for?

I'm a classic rock+ guy playing a Bogner Ecstasy Classic with humbucker bridge tones and single coil neck tones. I normally use an Avatar V30 semi open back cube because I can hear it really well. I've had dozens of cabs. I used to use only 4x12s but changed over to smaller cabs because the big sealed cabs were too directional and more scooped sounding. I also like the semi-clean tones better with an open back cab plus you can hear it better from various angles and the low mids are louder (good low mids is a must for me).

I'm trying to decide whether to get an OS2x12 or a standard 2x12. Since you have both, which one works better with a band, which sounds better for cleanish tones, crunch tones, gainier stuff etc.?