Anyone try any of the Sterling JP50's..?

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
Found one used with Dimarzio's already in it, not a scratch on it, and DAMN cheap, so was thinking about getting it, but never even seen a "Sterling" before..I know it is the "cheap" version of the EB Petrucci, but from what I saw, it seemed a pretty solid guitar..and for $175 with a case it might be too good to pass up?

Any of you guys ever own/play with one of these?

What is the consensus on these?

Thanks!

Birdie :)

I've never played the JP50 but I have a JP100 and I believe it's pretty close (differences noted below). Very good wood work all around IMHO, no neck pocket gap and well finished. The wiring isn't so well done. Neck shape is a flat D with quite pronounced corners and a wide flat middle, it's not for everyone so try it first if you're interested. My trem doesn't stay in tune that great, I don't use mine for any more than light tremming. You could always switch to Graphtech saddles later I think. And if you really like fine control over your string height you'll have it with their trem (Fender like). Out of the box I felt my strings were a bit high at the nut, maybe it's just me. I like my JP100, but it's not my favorite guitar, I should get it set up right and swap the pickups then maybe it'll get more use.

http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-guitars/50388-sterling-guitars.html
JP50 has been discontinued. The JP60 Black Metallic is our baseline model for the John Petrucci series.

JP60 has jumbo frets, JP shield inlays, upgraded metal 3 way switch and the Petrucci Dome knobs.

DR5Guy

Found one used with Dimarzio's already in it, not a scratch on it, and DAMN cheap, so was thinking about getting it, but never even seen a "Sterling" before..I know it is the "cheap" version of the EB Petrucci, but from what I saw, it seemed a pretty solid guitar..and for $175 with a case it might be too good to pass up?

Any of you guys ever own/play with one of these?

What is the consensus on these?

Thanks!

Birdie :)

I tried both the first version (Red Burst, Made in Indonesia) and the second one (Stealth Black, Made in China). I liked the MII one a lot; the MIC was Ok but not great. In fact I was so impressed with the Red Burst JP50 that I bought a JP6 just few months later. For $175 I'd definitely get it and upgrade the pickups.

rob13v

I've owned one for about a year now. It's my backup/"B" guitar for when I need a trem. Stays in tune pretty well and sounds pretty good with the stock pickups in there. Plus, since it was so cheap, I didn't feel bad doing this to it:
IMG_1282.jpg

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
I tried both the first version (Red Burst, Made in Indonesia) and the second one (Stealth Black, Made in China). I liked the MII one a lot; the MIC was Ok but not great. In fact I was so impressed with the Red Burst JP50 that I bought a JP6 just few months later. For $175 I'd definitely get it and upgrade the pickups.

This is the "red pearl burst" one..so I guess it is the Indonesia one?

It has a DiMarzio Distortion in the bridge and a Air Norton in the neck, or so I am told. It has no scratch that I can find but it has like .12's on it and I took it to the guitar store here locally to let the luthier look it over and put some .09's on it and drop the action to the frets...

The thing seems perfect..too good to be true..will know more tommorow after the tech guts it and cleans it all up and puts the magic finger on it for me!

birdie_in_texas

I can haz virgins?
Got mine home from being setup by a pro and it plays fantastically..it sounds like a rotten butthole though..it has an Air Norton in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge..I don't like either worth a damn after playing several hours.

So I have an EMG89R for the neck and an 81TW coming for the bridge, and it will match my others.

I took it to GC with me and played it side by side with a used JP6 that was setup pretty good, and to me (non-pro type) it is the exact same guitar, except for the ****** sounding p/u's..

The trem is maybe 80% as good as the "real" JP but the neck is identical, and that was what I was hoping for.

The EMG's will make it sound awesome, and now that it plays awesome, I am freakin THRILLED that this is working out soo good!

Pis to come after I get the EMG's installed this weekend.. :)

Top Bottom