Anyone try EV speakers with a Matchless C30 or similar?

Mejis

Silver Supporting Member
I'm thinking about setting up my HC30 to be a full-on country rig - maximizing the headroom and running edge of breakup at high volume. As part of this, I may pick up a different cab to complement the V30 loaded 4×12 I'm using now. Has anyone tried out EVs with this kind of amp? I know it's not going to ever sound like a twin or SSS (and I'm not going for that), but I am interested in how a big clean speaker would sound nonetheless. Thanks!

MHG

Though I haven't tried it, I can't imagine it would be a good match. I think the highs will be too piercing. If you feel you absolutely want to try it, go with the WGS12L instead. It won't be as bright, and is overall a bit warmer. Great speaker.

Guinness Lad

Regarding your rig, use a 5ar4 for sure, and put a 12at7 in the phase inverter slot. The speaker choice probably won't matter much as they are pretty mid heavy anyway. You could try something like a Texas Heat which has less midrange than the EV. It's not really a wattage and capacity situation it's more about voicing.

grndmstr_c

Briefly tried plugging my Jamison into a Forte 3D 1x12 loaded with an EV12L Classic. The experiment was short-lived and unsatisfying.

amphog

There are many better speaker choices that would sound better and be easier to carry.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom