Anyone try Greenbacks in a '65 Twin RI?

Custom50

I may be able to pick up a '65 Twin RI cheaply so I'm thinking if I did I'd pull two power tubes to bring it down to 40 watts. I have some greenbacks kicking around too, so if the twin was running at 40-ish watts the greenbacks could handle that. I think you see where my mind is going here.....so, anyone try it?

zenas

If the Greenbacks are 16 ohms that's perfect. Wire them in parrallel for 8 ohms because with two 6L6s that's a match for the output transformer.
You should check the bias because your not drawing as much current so it can change.

That said I use to run a SFTR with two tubes at 4 ohms all the time, never checked the bias and it worked fine. Didn't know a dammed thing back then but the old Fenders where hard to kill. (don't know if the RIs are or not)

bigtone23

If the Greenbacks are 16 ohms that's perfect. Wire them in parrallel for 8 ohms because with two 6L6s that's a match for the output transformer.
You should check the bias because your not drawing as much current so it can change.

That said I use to run a SFTR with two tubes at 4 ohms all the time, never checked the bias and it worked fine. Didn't know a dammed thing back then but the old Fenders where hard to kill. (don't know if the RIs are or not)
I thought greenbacks were only 25 watt speakers. You would have to be careful, yes?
+1 to all of the above. Half the tubes, half the impedance on the amp vs the speaker load. Older Fenders are hard to kill, I used to hook an 8 ohm extension cab to my 79 SFVR all the time with no issues.

It's usually a good idea for your speaker's peak handling to be twice the RMS power handling of the tube amp driving it. That 42.5 watt Twin is usually the clean power rating, once pushed into breakup, it can peak around 70ish watts, which can heat up those GBs. If you keep the amp on the cleaner, lower numbers on the volume knob, GBs and Twins sound great together!

I used to run a 50w 6G6B Bassman head into a Bassman 2x12" w/Greenbacks. Never pushed it past 3 and was fine.

Trending Topics