Anyone try out the Peavey Windsor Studio Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Imiss85, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

Anyone try out the Peavey Windsor Studio Amp? If so, how was it, crap, decent, good? What did it remind you of? How were the cleans and the overdrive?

2. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

For the money, it's really great. Great volume controls with the built in power attenuator- total saturation at quiet levels. from mild overdrive to over the top gain, it's all there at reasonable levels. lots of convenient studio features like XLR out and loop and such. My only complaint is that it's hard to get a very clean sound (just like the peavey windsor head). The tone is very much like the windsor head ... it aims for that British sound. Obviously not exact plexi sounds, but it gets you close enough for under $500., You're also able to swap out the power tube to almost any common type that you want, which would definitely add to its versatility. I would probably change the stock tubes though. It may benefit from a speaker change too, but stock, it's not bad.

If you're not absolutely obsessed with tone and you want to record with a very mid-level sounding amp with a ton of built in versatility, I'd say this definitely blows others like the fender recording amp away.

3. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

Good feedback, thanks. So it has a Plexi taste to it? Then it's completely different than the classic series, right? Nothing against the classic 30, I have one, but looking for something different, just got my AMS catalog today,and noticed the price so it obviously grabbed my attention.

4. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

Yeah, the Windsor series is Peavey's attempt to get at the "classic british tone", whereas the classic 30 i think they were trying to cop the old fender tweeds

5. shaun

shaun Member

I'm enjoying my Winsor Studio ! Yesterday, recieved my 12A150B w/pre-rola treatment , from Ted , and it sounds great! He reconed a 50 watt 12a150w to, a B cone 25 watt ,and I couldn't be more pleased ! I didn't give the stock, 75 watt ceramic eminence, a chance to break-in. Don't think it would have ever been acceptable. It shipped w/ jj el34,and 2 12ax7s. After trying several preamp and power amp tubes, I've settled on a mullard and a rca , 12ax7s, and a jj e34l power tube . I tried 6l6, 6550, new kt77,among others. Has anyone tried a kt66, kt88, kt90, 6ca7,or e34ls with good results ? Thanks for any replies !

6. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

I played one today for a few minutes...
    not a bad sounding amp at all. Made the crappy little Ibe I was playing
    sound pretty decent. nice, warm tones. Pretty trebly, so I cranked the
    treble down a lot, but it was nice over all.
    I like the fact you can swap out so many tubes in the power section.
    r.gp