Anyone try the modtone or AGPtek power supply?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzucker, Feb 22, 2015.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

It can't*, and it isn't. It's another rebranded Joyo JP-02, which is not isolated (despite being claimed as such).

* To be fair, there are ways to create isolated outputs even from a DC source, but it's quite tricky and component-intensive. So far, the only ones I've seen this far are the modules from TheGigRig folks. The JP-02 (and its rebranded siblings) only contain filtering and regulation for the different outputs, but no isolation.

3. jzucker

4. bduguay

bduguay Member

I installed one of these in a pedalboard I built for Luke Doucet of Whitehorse, the hardest working band in Canada, and it's performing quite nicely. This unit, at the time, was the only one I could find that could be configured for 15vdc for Luke's Radial Tone Bone.
    B.

5. jzucker

thanks, bought from amazon who has a 30 day return period so I figured I'd be safe. Anyone know who sells 5' or 10' extensions for the power supply cables? One of my pedals sits on top of my kemper and not on the floor.

6. jzucker

got the modtone, despite the claims to power any pedal on the market, it won't power on my 200ma, 9v digitech jamman. Returning it .

[edite] actually, someone mentioned in a review that the sag outputs support 200ma so I tried it and it worked.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

On the Modtone, each of the DC outputs have a 150mA max capacity. You'd need to combine two outputs in parallel (look for "current doubler" or simply use a daisy chain cable - two plugs for the power supply outputs and a third towards the pedal). That will give you 300mA capacity.

8. jzucker

actually, someone mentioned in a review that the sag outputs support 200ma so I tried it and it worked.