Anyone try the new Fly Rigs yet?

-Empire

Haven't tried the new ones but the old one is great for the money as a backup. Not gonna replace a tube amp and pedals or a high end modeler though.

They sound like what they are: a solid state preamp into a cab sim.

brokenvail

Haven't tried the new ones but the old one is great for the money as a backup. Not gonna replace a tube amp and pedals or a high end modeler though.

They sound like what they are: a solid state preamp into a cab sim.
I have the original. No complaints about it

harry65

Really want to hear the new ones!!!!!!!!! It's the only weak part of the first two , high hopes..........

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
It seems like there would be overlap between the original and the new Brit version. Or, is the Brit version geared more toward Vox tones?

Seems like they have really missed the boat here. The feedback ever since the FR came out was that people wanted a tuner and DI out. Why didn't Tech21 listen and release a FR v2? I for one would probably buy one. I demoed the original but didn't buy it, as I'd still need a tuner and one modulation pedal, and therefore it was no longer a 'one box' solution

rsm

The Bass Fly Rig looks good IMO. I used a Programmable Bass Driver for years, and as a backup. using a Zoom B1on now with a passive DI.

strumminsix

Silver Supporting Member
I own a Brit and have sampled the orig. thoughts:
1) great bang for the buck!
2) very good sounding
3) should have either included a DI out or a TRS 1/4" out where we could use a 1/4" TRS to XLR cable
4) should have either included a tuner or a 9v OUT to power a tuner

Orig can do overdrive better, Brit does distortion better.
Can't tell diff in Sansamp and delay.

3dognate

Good point, though. If one is Marshall but the other has the Hot Rod Plexi, are they just different gain ranges of otherwise similar sounds?

I'm not the target market for the Fly Rig units, but I know at least one guy who swears by them, and was only disappointed by the Cali being the other new model, when he was hoping for a Liverpool or Oxford style option instead. I always keep my eyes on Tech21, in case they make a turn in product design that suits me.
The plexi in the original FR5 is a flubby, mushy early plexi tone, the new british I can assume would be a tighter more focused JMP tone.

deejayen

It's the first one I've seen. Thanks for posting!

The Fly Rigs do sound really good, and I'm swithering about buying one (or a Blonde). However, I only play clean, and the few clean demos I've heard of the original Fly Rig 5 still have a bit of grit. Do they clean up to give a really smooth Deluxe Reverb sound? I'm worried in case they sound a bit thin and DI'd when you back off the gain. I'd only be using it for direct recording - not through an amp and cab.

mvanslooten

The Fly Rigs do sound really good, and I'm swithering about buying one (or a Blonde). However, I only play clean, and the few clean demos I've heard of the original Fly Rig 5 still have a bit of grit. Do they clean up to give a really smooth Deluxe Reverb sound? I'm worried in case they sound a bit thin and DI'd when you back off the gain. I'd only be using it for direct recording - not through an amp and cab.

I've never played a DR, but I have the "standard" FR5 and I think it does a great clean sound. I like my cleans with a bit of grit but have I to set the sansamp gain at around 60-70% to even get that.

Stokely

Can't speak to these new ones, but the guitarist in my band (I play keys for it) sounds great with the original. He runs an overdrive before it (name escapes me) and a tuner so it's not an all-in-one solution...but for the last 10 gigs or so he's had no amp and he's enjoying the extra stage space :) Frankly it isn't quite to where his Marshall stack was...but still sounds nice.... but he couldn't crank that stack anyway...and heck we are playing small clubs, that beast was a chore to load in and out.

harry65

They do fantastic cleans.........

erniecaster

Hi,

I don´t get it. The original says PLEXI, one of the new one BRITISH. Both means MARSHALL. Well, I know that there is more marshall sounds than a plexi but even the description on the website is pretty similar. Why don´t they compare it in a video? They did a lot of videos for the FR5 - or they could ask Brett Kingman (please don´t, otherwise I have got to buy it).

There could have been small improvements, more or less everything they did with the bassflyrig (D.I., tuner, boost post/pre etc.). They can but they don´t do it. I believe Tech21 wants to get stronger in the bass niche. It seems to be a tradition with Tech21 not to update, when I am thinking about the amps and the older pedals.

Next sad words: The Atomix-Amplifire-Box just killed the whole series of character pedals with included boost, reverb and XLR. To be honest, with better sound quality and a price which isn´t miles away.

cu

erniecaster

Trending Topics

Top Bottom