Anyone try the new Hercos?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Etosser, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Etosser

Etosser Member

Saw that JD introduced vintage accurate Hercos at NAMM. I know that the current ones on offer have been deemed definitely different from the originals and wanted to see what opinions were. Don't seem to be widely available just yet.

2. ironman28

ironman28 Member

Thanks for the heads up. The newer gold hercos are definitely different than the older pre-dunlop. I'm gonna order some and try them out. Planet Waves also has the Nyflex picks which are similar

Edit: JAx Music supply on Reverb has em. Just ordered some

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  3. MacGregor

MacGregor Supporting Member

The recently release Herco heavy gauge picks are about .92 mm thick, just like the original ones. The Herco Flex 75 picks are closer to .97 mm. I don't notice a difference in any of these while playing.

The logos, text, and grip patterns of the new Herco heavy gauge match the originals. The color and visual texture of the nylon does not exactly match any of the 7 originals that I have.

4. X–Ray

X–Ray Member

I have some Dunlop Herco Vintage '66 Heavy Gauges on order from Sweetwater out of curiosity

I already have quite a few original Herco Heavy Gauge and Flex 75s from the early '70s

We'll see...

5. Matticus

Matticus Member

I'm interested to hear how this pans out.

I have a few green Herdim picks but they're too thin for me on electric. I bought some of the Herco 75s and they're too thick. Ugh. Either that or I feel like they grab the string a little too much for me. Now I have a bag of picks I'll never use.

Something between those two would probably be ideal for me.

6. Etosser

Etosser Member

Went ahead and ordered from Jax (thx ironman)...I guess we'll see.

7. tnipe

tnipe Member

Have light and heavy gauges on the way. I normally use the Herco 75s, so interested in how they compare.

8. Etosser

Etosser Member

Got the light and heavy in the mail today. Noticeably thicker than the previous offerings, the heavy being closer to a 1.0 and the light an .88. Material is pretty much the same as the previous. Has the same Herco rasp and snap, with a bit more body. So far I like them.

9. McQ7

McQ7 Supporting Member

I've been using the current Herco Flex 75 (silver) for a few years, and was wondering if anyone else had thoughts about the Herco 66 series. I just learned about these yesterday, and had always heard about the differences between the current ones and the vintage ones.

10. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

"Vintage correct" picks.....seriously?

X–Ray likes this.
  11. McQ7

McQ7 Supporting Member

I've read many accounts of the composition of the recent Herco Flex picks being different than the older ones, so yeah absolutely. The goal of the Herco 66 line of picks is what should have happened in the first place when Dunlop started making them again.

X–Ray likes this.
  12. X–Ray

X–Ray Member

Precisely

There's Dunlop "Hercos" and there is the real deal - they're not one in the same

If you've played both you know the difference and for those so inclined it matters

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  13. McQ7

McQ7 Supporting Member

Curious about the differing accounts:

14. Matticus

Matticus Member

So what do you think of these new ones?

15. X–Ray

X–Ray Member

Haven't received them (Heavy Gauge) yet from Sweetwater

16. McQ7

McQ7 Supporting Member

Never thought to measure my different batches of current Herco Flex 75 picks until this afternoon, so here's some info:

A pack of grey Herco Flex 75 picks ordered in 2010 from Elderly and arriving in a plain plastic bag measure 1.05 mm. Very clean edges on these.

A pack of grey Herco Flex 75 picks ordered in mid 2014 from Dunlop via Amazon and arriving in a Dunlop bag measure .96 mm. Thin plastic on the edges all around (like left over from the mold) on these--immediately gave the impression of lower quality than the ones I had from 2010.

The info listed by Herco on Amazon state the new Herco 66 grey heavy picks are .96 mm.

I definitely notice a difference in playing between the 2010 and the 2014 versions, and much prefer the 2010. I guess because of the thickness. But same measurement and different composition can feel stiffer or more flexible, so I wonder about the Herco 66 even if it measures .96 mm as Herco states or .92 mm as was stated above by MacGregor.

17. X–Ray

X–Ray Member

Better than the "modern" JD/Herco but not as good as a vintage Herco

Close but no cigar....

18. erksin

erksin Member

I like the Dunlop Flex 75s much better than the PW versions (never played a real vintage Flex 75), but yeah the Dunlop Gold 50s aren't nearly as nice as the original Herco Golds.

X–Ray likes this.
  19. McQ7

McQ7 Supporting Member

I ended up getting some of the Dunlop Herco vintage 66 verion, and I still favor those 2010 ones from Elderly overall (and the 2014 regular Herco 75) vs the newer version. However, it may be just that I like the grip better than the 66 version. I like that circle design on the 75 for my thumb--been playing with that feel for so long that the 66 version just felt odd to me.

20. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

Old thread bump.
    Just got another 100 bag of Flex 50 gold. Thinnest yet. Can't even play em'
    Bummed!!!