Anyone Try the new Vox Amplug?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sparky1358, Jan 26, 2008.

1. sparky1358

sparky1358 Member

Has anyone tried this?

Seems pretty cool in theory anyway.

Curious to know if anyone has played around with one of these.

They are just 40 bucks at most places I have seen and if they actually work would be cool for late night strumming.

2. jerrylee

jerrylee Member

They are pretty cool for late night practice..ofcourse I had to have several mods done, but now it sounds like a blanket has been lifted off my ear buds.:JAM

3. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I really like my AC30 Amplug. I was playing it last week on my ferry commute with my old Peavey T-15. It's making me want a real AC30 badly.

4. sparky1358

sparky1358 Member

I just pulled the trigger and bought one online. Will have it next week or so. Thanks for recommendations.

What mods were done? Or can be done to it?

5. guitup

guitup Member

6. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

Gotta be a joke. No one is modding that little thing.

7. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I wonder if there's a way to put a output jack on it to drive a real amp. Now that would be cool.

8. hongsta

hongsta Member

I have the AC30 AmPlug and I use it to drive a tube amp (Guitar -> AmPlug -> Tube Amp) and it sounds really good, especially at low volume.

9. telefmt

telefmt Member

I got one for Christmas and I feel the same way........

10. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The Landgraff mod= replace Q2 with a power diode and Q3 with 3 Ge diodes. :roll

I've had one for a while and I don't use it because I find it too fatiguing and noisy. I don't think it sounds very good as a DI either. I haven't tried it in front of an amp. I also do want a real AC30, not particularly because of this Amplug though.

11. sparky1358

sparky1358 Member

Got my new amplug ac30 version last night and I love it.

Not really an ac30 but a cool toy if you will to just walk around with headphones on and feel plugged in. Wish there was a bit more gain on tap but I guess they tried to follow the ac30 model.

Highly recommended

12. justonwo

justonwo Member

You HAVE to replace the caps and resistors if you want decent sound. And a Switchcraft jack, of course.

Seriously, though, these things look really cool. I'd like to hear what people think.

13. Casey

Casey Member

I have one...and for $40 it's hard to argue. I mainly got it because I can run my iPod into the AUX in and practice anywhere. Pretty sweet!

14. humbuckingbird

humbuckingbird Member

I use my amplug AC30 in my friend's PA when I sit in at his gigs for fun. I run a stereo 1/8" cord into a stereo input on his mixer using a 1/4" adapter. It sounds really warm and punchy. Once i got used to the little control wheels, I was able to "switch" between clean and dirty pretty quickly. Of course the beauty of VOX amps is their response to your guitar's volume position so I really can get alot of variety out of it.

Has anyone else done this?

15. AstroStrat89

AstroStrat89 Member

I've got the AC/30 and the Classic. I like the AC/30, absolutely love the Classic. It won't do a pristine clean tone but can pull off a rich clean with a single coil and light picking.

The Classic will pull off wonderful crunch tones. I live for the good SRV blues type crunch. But it will also do AC/DC in a big way. In fact I don't have to tweak the setting to go from Blues to AC/DC, just a switch from the neck SC to the bridge bucker and your good to go. Very dynamic and responds to picking attack very well.

I've tried them with a SS amp with a pretty vanilla clean tone, but I think the speaker sim ruins it trying it in front of an amp. Works very well with some decent 2.0 computer speakers I have.

I also have to say that this blows away any digital sim I have tried, including PODs and Zoom G2. I will say that I have not tried any of the analog Tech21 stuff to compare.

Save you money on the digital stuff unless you have to have the varity of effects. But if you just want a great sounding Brit amp analog sim, this is it.

I am sure that the AC/30 is great too, it just doesn't give me that vibe I get from the classic.