Anyone try the seymour duncan vice grip comp yet?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by banjowillie, Feb 1, 2015.

1. banjowillie

banjowillie Supporting Member

Saw this new comp a while back and thought it looked intriguing.
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/pedals/vise_grip_compr/
    Been searching for the right compressor myself and wondered if anybody's tried it yet? I've tried the cs-3, the mxr custom comp and the mooer yellow comp, which was nice but I'm not sure an optical comp is what I want. Any thoughts on the vise grip?

2. lofibrian

lofibrian Supporting Member

If it is anything like the Doubleback Comp. was it should be a winner.[It has all the same features in a smaller footprint.] Seems like they are bringing back a lot of those series of effects except assembled in California instead of China. I'm hoping for a update of the Deja Vu Delay

3. banjowillie

banjowillie Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply, lofi. Anybody else tried one of these yet?

4. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Demo vid is up:

Mookyshoots likes this.
  5. MacLoud

MacLoud Member

I have a Vise Grip. I purchased it from eBay (seller Phantom Forty Eight) and it arrived in the UK in just ten days.

I bought it because of the 'blend' control and the mini switch that accentuates the treble/mid/low frequencies.

With my Rickenbacker 381/12V69 it gives the high range 'jangle' at less than half the price of a 'Janglebox'.

It has the jacks at the top, so it takes up less space on the Mini board. In my opinion it is a very good product at a great price.

[​IMG]

6. Hairpin Turns

Hairpin Turns Member

bump...has anyone else tried the Vise Grip?

7. walrus_alex

walrus_alex Member

I got one now.
    I was never satisfied with the compressors I had
    In the past I had Marshall Ed-1, Visual sound compressor, MXR dynacomp (red) and super comp (black) - these are ok
    however,
    the vice grip is another level imho
    the real deal!
    I was going to buy Okko cola comp - but they did not have it in stock
    So after reading scarce reviews - I bought Vice Grip
    man! this thing does the job!
    the high/full/mid switch and the blend knob (wide sound color range) - do great things to your sound
    and it does compress, sustain and just improves overall sound!
    true bypass too...

Highly recommended!

ps
    just wanted to share my opinion cos I'm so excited and there's so little info on the web
    I guess it ties me board together
    really excited with the board now... vice grip- sparkle drive/boss-od3/tech21 liverpool/tech21 paradriver (alternatively) - zoom 70rcd (sometimes) - into (other equipment you don't wanna know) - so simple and yet great!
    I'm doing home recording now finally that feels professional

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  8. daved82

daved82 Member

I've wanted to love a compressor for years and years. This is the first one I've loved, other than very limited use of the Dyna Comp in the past for recording when trying to get stereotypical chicken pickin' or clicky 8th notes rhythm sounds (think The Cars' first album).

The blend knob is the difference-maker.

I recently read up a bit on people using two compressors. Lowell George is the most notable example, but severely underrated amazing ripping guitarist Glenn Tillbrook (also Squeeze frontman/lead singer/songwriter) says he uses two compressors -- one on lightly all the time to even out the rough bits and one set as a solo boost. Tillbrook is one of those guys who always has a great sound -- rarely if ever "dirty" but always robust and strong.

Having the Vice Grip makes me want to try this out.

DirtBox likes this.
  9. DirtBox

DirtBox Member

I've had one for about 3 years. Always on. Sounds amazing! Way underrated. Can run it on 9V or 18V.
    Same as their 805 OD, STILL my favorite OD, and totally underrated. 9V or 18V with a 3 band Active EQ.
    SD pedals are legit

Ghast likes this.
  10. gtrguru

gtrguru Member

Mine is almost always on. Love it.

DirtBox likes this.