Anyone try the sugar pine LSL's?

DavidH

Look down ;), there's a few recent threads on them.

I've been waxing lyrical about my pine LSL since i got it, so have others. I think they're amazing, it's a softer response than the ash and has a deep resonant sag and extreme bounce to the response. It has a pronouced and very musical natural vibrato to it aswell. Mine sounds and feels very much like a vintage fender to me. Everyone who's played it wants it, it sounds incredible. Has a sweet rounded off high, almost like mahogany, but without the mids. It's very much like a pre-cbs alder bodied fender, similar voicing and the same kind of repeonse, much softer than the hard reponse you get from new alder bodied fenders. IMHO, YMMV n' all that. Mine's 6lb 10oz, and has a nice deep bass response.

OK yeper

Cliff at Destroy All Guitars has em

He is the Best

I jumped on this because I have a Glendale, a early 1949 Fender Spanish Guitar prototype and a LesQuire Jr. all made of pine

I love them

Stefan S

I checked the LsL´s, ash and pine side by side.
If you have the possibility to play on two very similar and equally light instruments, in this case nr.22-sugarpine (now mine) and nr.23-swamp ash (the one BK plays now) you´ll recognize that both are outstanding. Ash is a little brighter, with a sweeter, a little quackier (??) neck pup tone, while the pine is somewhat rounder, warmer but still with lots of twang. In higher gain settings the bridge pup tone of the pine version is awesome, enough highs to cut through, but with lots of bottom and always focussed. I´ve never played a better sounding bridge single coil. You cant go wrong with sugar pine, clean or distorted it´s sweet, round, clear with great definition.
Here you´ll find some great clips:
http://www.youtube.com/user/lancelerman

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Hey Stefan - Is the LSL Tele Rod is playing in that vid a Pine or an Ash?

Thanks, Dana O.

I love Pine Tele's

The LSL looks good. Sugar Pine is probably the best choice of pine.
I want to get my hands on one of these and try one.

I really love the tone a pine instrument creates. Much more resonant and lively.

I'll be calling up Cliff at WWW.destroyallguitars.com to see what he has to say. Its great LSL is working with him in the US. Cliff is the real shite.

Eastern White Pine and Yellow Pine weep Pine Tar (pitch) for a long time. But all pine contains quite a bit . A solar kiln for aging is the way to cure it It can take years.

Here's are the three pines I own.

A 50th Anniversary CS Replica of the 1949 Spanish Guitar later to be known as the Snake Head Esquire.

It's three separate pieces of pine laminated top to bottom. That is because in 1949 Leo just used the wood he had in the shop from making Amp cabinets.

The Amp in the Picture is a Repro from the Fender Custom Shop of a 1946 Woody Professional.

The Set is #4 of 50 made.

My Glendale Tele I call her Bluebell has Don Mare 2324 Nancy's and is made of one piece Sugar Pine

The last picture is a guitar I put together with a great builder here at TGP

Jaydawg (Jason Hillbourne) we collaborated to come up with this creation

The LesQuire Jr.

Solid one piece Eastern Pine shaped by Jason into a Les Paul Jr. body.

Jaydawg capped it with Rosewood front and back. ANd applied a beautiful nitro cellulose finish. In person it's even better then the pictures

Then he made the neck out of one piece of solid Rosewood, a 10.5 radius with C to a soft V to to a V Taper. Very large and thick.

All solid brass hardware milled from billets, the neck-plate is extra thick and counter sunk into the body.

There is also a brass string block, bridge, and Glendale Fat-intone Saddles for the 11 - 13 - 19 - 32 - 42 - 52 string set up
The Neck is Topped off with Gotoh custom open tuners with rosewood buttons

The Electronics are a stellar out of this world set up. A Lollar Charlie Christian at the neck and a Don Mare 3 Tap Stingray at the Bridge

Jason Wired it for twelve possible combinations there is a push pull on the volume to bring in the CC with the 3 tap in any position or take it out plus the tone knob is push pull to defeat the tone circuit.

These are all useful and distinct tones that add subtle and dramatic nuances to the sound of the guitar.

Jason described it as piano like. With this LesQuire Jr. I have found my own tone and it is happening​

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Groovey: That Glendale is so beautiful. And the Jaydawg ... I'm getting more and more curious about this guy's work. Really interesting looking guitar.
MD

Stefan S

Hey Goovey Records,
The Glendale Telly is great, but the Les Quire Special is really special, what a magnificent instrument. Congrats!
How does it sound? What difference makes a rosewood neck?

rickmebe

Thanks Rick - sounds great!

Is that yours? Lucky dog ....

Thanks, Dana
Nope. Mine's Swamp Ash, but she is a great one as well. And yes I am a lucky dog. Will be an even luckier dog when my Ian Anderson gets done... :drool

The reason I knew the details on that one is I took pics of all the LsL's at Summer NAMM and they had a sign by each one listing all the details. I just checked my pics and got the info off the sign... :cool:

gearfreak

Hi

I own one of those increadible sugar pine LsL which sounds fantastic.
When I bought it in July 2009, I was lucky to compare between 2 LsL's, one with Swamp Ash body and my one with Sugar Pine.
My one is the first LsL sold in whole Switzerland and has serial no. 074 built in June 2009.

The difference between them is that the sound of the Swamp Ash is more tight and compressed whereas Sugar Pine is more open sounding with high sparkles and dynamic.
If you prefer gain settings, Swamp Ash will your choice, if you prefer dynamic clean sounds with punchy response Sugar Pine is ideal.

One remarkable thing on Sugar Pine, it still smells sweet as honey like those reissue Tweed Fender Amps.

I recomandto buy one of those LsL's as they are hard to find on the market since LsL produces 10-20 guitars only per month.
One thing is for sure, they'll become collector items and even how they sound like is worth to own one of them

Cheers

Trending Topics