Anyone try the Z Wreck Jr. yet?

Yeah, I've watched all the YouTube clips. Just curious to see if anyone here has plugged into one yet.

If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

jeffh

Gold Supporting Member
Got mine 10 days ago now. First night with the band tonight.

Better in person than in the videos, as good as the videos are.

What would you like to know ?

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
@jeffh What guitars do you use and what type of music are you playing? Do you have the combo? How’s it take overdrive and reverb/delay/etc? Thx

Last edited:

jeffh

Gold Supporting Member
All humbucker guitars for me ( Historic Les Pauls, Vs and PRS DGT and SC), all sound different as you would want. Biggest surprise is my SC with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, sounds Awesome. For a chunky pickup it sounds really open with the Wreck Jr.

We play heavier classic rock ( Rush, Sabbath, Deep Purple) and some not as heavy ( Hendrix, Zeppelin, Jeff Beck.. only the first album !!) and some original instrumental stuff. Also play in a Tragically Hip tribute band.

I don't play much clean, so can't speak to headroom with a band, at home, noodling, it is very Vox like clean, with more lower mids.

I don't use a lot of effects but Maxon delay, Echoplex pedal, Supa Trem all sound great, don't miss the effects loop.

Boost it with a Fulldrive 1, different compression settings on the Fulldrive have a noticeable impact.

I find the amp:
  • Extremely touch sensitive, even with the gain past 2 o'clock I can get it to clean up just by changing my attack, or finger pick vs pick.
  • Master needs to be opened up, 10 o'clock or better. Its a good amp below that, it's awesome above that. I would not buy this as a bedroom amp, for reference the master volumes on my Friedman amps are WAY better for bedroom volume.
  • Every guitar has a different magic spot on the volume dial. Once there notes will sustain forever, very harmonically complex, doesn't sag like Voxes I have played, not as immediate attack as my Marshall Studio Vintage. Can be unforgiving in a good way
  • Really good string definition even with the volume ( gain) past 2 o'clock
  • Low mids are predominant, especially in my Friedman straight closed back 4x12.
  • Surprised how good it sounded in through a angled Marshall 4x12 with Vintage 30s that I played it through at our rehearsal space
  • Controls are very interactive, can take a bit tweaking to find what I like, and tweak again as the master goes up. The Cut dial is super effective.
  • No problem with volume, loud 15 watts, very big sounding
I have a few other amps ( Friedman, /13, Bad Cat, Marshall Studio Vintage)
I think this will definitely be my go to amp for the 3 piece band I play with. Curious if the low mids would take some work with another guitar player. We have two guitar players in the other band I play with, haven't tried it there yet.

I think it might like an open back cabinet better. Haven't tried it with the band with my Bad Cat cabinet, at home it sounds great with that cabinet.

Overall, very happy, it's a keeper. It looks cool too

Last edited:

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Platinum Supporting Member
All humbucker guitars for me ( Historic Les Pauls, Vs and PRS DGT and SC), all sound different as you would want. Biggest surprise is my SC with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, sounds Awesome. For a chunky pickup it sounds really open with the Wreck Jr.

We play heavier classic rock ( Rush, Sabbath, Deep Purple) and some not as heavy ( Hendrix, Zeppelin, Jeff Beck.. only the first album !!) and some original instrumental stuff. Also play in a Tragically Hip tribute band.

I don't play much clean, so can't speak to headroom with a band, at home, noodling, it is very Vox like clean, with more lower mids.

I don't use a lot of effects but Maxon delay, Echoplex pedal, Supa Trem all sound great, don't miss the effects loop.

Boost it with a Fulldrive 1, different compression settings on the Fulldrive have a noticeable impact.

I find the amp:
  • Extremely touch sensitive, even with the gain past 2 o'clock I can get it to clean up just by changing my attack, or finger pick vs pick.
  • Master needs to be opened up, 10 o'clock or better. Its a good amp below that, it's awesome above that. I would not buy this as a bedroom amp, for reference the master volumes on my Friedman amps are WAY better for bedroom volume.
  • Every guitar has a different magic spot on the volume dial. Once there notes will sustain forever, very harmonically complex, doesn't sag like Voxes I have played, not as immediate attack as my Marshall Studio Vintage. Can be unforgiving in a good way
  • Really good string definition even with the volume ( gain) past 2 o'clock
  • Low mids are predominant, especially in my Friedman straight closed back 4x12.
  • Surprised how good it sounded in through a angled Marshall 4x12 with Vintage 30s that I played it through at our rehearsal space
  • Controls are very interactive, can take a bit tweaking to find what I like, and tweak again as the master goes up. The Cut dial is super effective.
  • No problem with volume, loud 15 watts, very big sounding
I have a few other amps ( Friedman, /13, Bad Cat, Marshall Studio Vintage)
I think this will definitely be my go to amp for the 3 piece band I play with. Curious if the low mids would take some work with another guitar player. We have two guitar players in the other band I play with, haven't tried it there yet.

I think it might like an open back cabinet better. Haven't tried it with the band with my Bad Cat cabinet, at home it sounds great with that cabinet.

Overall, very happy, it's a keeper. It looks cool too
thanks for deets, we have many similarities in gear and music. So I take it you have the head, not the combo?

I’ve got a Vox AC15HW that (somewhat surprisingly) I adore, so the Wreck Jr peaked my interest, though I’d prefer the combo. Thx again, and good luck with her!

Trending Topics