Anyone try this yet?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Donn Rowe, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Donn Rowe

Donn Rowe Member

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I have found all of SD's ventures into the effect market to be bland and uninspiring.

3. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

4. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I played one briefly. Not bad at all. I heard someone whacking some "A" chords on one in GC today, and made me think about trying it again. Real nice crunch, and has some plexi - like girth to it as well. There are few actual tube od units I have played that sound decent. Only bummer is you can't change the tube out easily, and I don't think you can swap it out for other types.

I have a Zendrive 2 on order, so we'll see how that one does.

5. Donn Rowe

Donn Rowe Member

yup they are on my mind more often than not!

6. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Makes me think of the V-Twin or Valveboy ...

7. theanalogfuture

theanalogfuture Member

I remember there was a ton of hype in these parts a few months ago over it when it was just coming out....

And then, nothing happened.

8. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I played one today as a matter of fact. I liked it quite a bit. As I sat there playing, the tubes must have warmed up because after about 5 minutes it really started to be more responsive, creamier and smoother. After it warmed up well it actually let me clean up via softer playing and crunch with attack. I liked it very much . . . . if'n I had money coming out my rear-end I'd get one . . . . and a few other things too,or course.

9. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

The most recent issue of Guitar World comes with a video (DVD or Cd) of their test drive of the twin tube (also has a demo of a new Reverend Warhawk HB [why I bought the mag]). The video also included a demo of the tonebone plexitone (could be wrong about the name). The video might even be up on Guitar World's site.

+1 on the tits thing

10. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

I had one. Best stompbox I've ever heard. Then again, even the pricey SS ODs sound lousy to me. Into a Twin Reverb, it sounds like a cranked amp. Not any particular one, simply its own character. Me likey.

11. tedStrange

tedStrange Member

+1 to dotlikeimpacts review, although it's not the sound I was wanting: you cannot hear all of the notes in a chord as clearly as I would want.

12. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

As an owner (and inveterate tinkerer) of the SD Twin Boob -- er, I mean Twin Tube (damn! you guys got me distracted there for a minute :drool) -- here is my take on things:

Although this pedal delivers true tube tone and dynamics, it definitely has its faults. There's way too much bass response (much of it pre-EQ section) that causes low notes to get fuzzy, farty, and indistinct. Also, higher notes don't seem to sing they way I want them to. There seems to be a slight "choking" quality that interferes with getting a good, clear sustain and smooth decay. Finally, the upper harmonics (again, this is more noticeable on higher notes) seem to be filtered out too much.

So... I did a series of mods that I think have improved things, but perhaps with mixed results. Here are some of the main things I did:

- I reduced bass response by using lower value cathode bypass caps on the 2nd and 3rd tube stages. Stock, they're all 4.7uF electrolytics. I think I have 2.2uF on the 2nd stage and 1.0uF on the third stage. Big improvement!

- I added a filter cap so that each tube (consisting of two triode sections) is filtered separately. Stock, all four tube stages are powered off of a single PS rail. I thought this might clean up the tone a bit. Not sure it made that much difference.

- I removed a 220pF cap near the input jack that was bleeding higher frequencies to ground BEFORE the signal even hit the first tube stage. This helped somewhat with the filtering effect, but not entirely.

- I changed the way "fizz" frequencies are removed at the 3rd tube stage. Instead of "bleed to ground" caps at the control grid, there's now a 270pF snubber cap from plate to cathode. This added a little bit of clarity while still removing fizz.

I don't feel like I've been totally successful with these mods. But I haven't used the pedal on stage since completing them all, so who knows? I think I could have done more if I had a schematic. There's still parts of the circuit (especially the post-OD treble EQ/filtering circuit) that I don't understand and can't figure out by following PCB traces.

The Twin Tube has a lot of potential. I just wish SD had spent more R&D time dialing in the tones before releasing this product.