Anyone use 5 springs on a Strat?

jcs

I have this one MIM Strat I tune to Eb and right now it has 4 springs with a D'Adarrio 10 set.

Thinking about going to 5 springs....I like the tremolo to float in the middle.

Will 5 springs help with tuning?

Thanks in advance!

Mickey_C

1.428571428571429e-10 of humanity
Double Platinum Member
I use four at most. 5 springs just don't float right for me, no matter how I loosen up the claw, I think the springs are not sprung much at all. With 10-46 strings and four springs in the outer positions my bridges can float perfect, I can do bends fine, and the trem works easily enough (and I use a lot of trem). Stays in tune excellent, and the springs are a bit sprung (opened up slightly).

jcs

This is a standard Strat tremolo, not a 2 point.

I've had less issues with 2 point trems in general.

Keep in mind I am TUNED to 'Eb', so there is much less string tension.

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
I float the Fender vibrato per spec (1/8" above the body to the aft bottom of the bridge plate), and may adjust to suit as needed. I use the component only to accent a note or chord. I'm not aggressive with it at all. So, from that perspective I submit my experience.

I use 5 springs always, and encourage my customers to do the same. That's how it's designed, that's what I use. I never had a tuning stability issue w/ 5, therefore I can't vouch that there's indeed a correlation due to the number of springs. I've experimented with 3 (/l\ - l l l) and 4 (l lll - lll l - ll ll), but to no satisfaction - 3 feels too wobbly, and 4 feels unbalanced to me. I do prefer the Raw Vintage springs over OEM Fender - they feel a bit more relaxed yet with consistent firmness.

The nut is a key component in tuning stability, especially with a vibrato. It's gotta be correctly slotted (width, angle, smooth, lube) otherwise the string may get hung up and not return properly to its tuning point. If you're having tuning issues, look there first. Lotsa tutorials on the web, but quite an investment in tools to do it correctly.

Neon Trotsky

Less springs = greater sensitivity from the bar (ie: easier to do Jeff Beckisms).

I install a Tremol-no on all my strats for when I wanna do chickin-pickin type steel bends and such, can hardtail the bridge on-the-fly. Then it plays like a tele.

Johnny21

Silver Supporting Member
5 springs will need an adjustments on your claw, action and truss rod maybe.

I do 5 spring floating on my Suhr. Never really been a whammy guy and use it sparsely.

I don't use the bar, I just use my hand to gently press on the bridge if I want a warble.

Never thought 5 springs was even possible. Isn't it hard to move the bar?

Mine has 3 springs in a straight position. My trem can fit a 1.0MM pick under it. I like being able to bend up a tad too.

johnh

I tried 5, but it felt horrible to me, regardless of whether EJ and SRV do/did it like that.

I have found that proper setup, a well cut nut and decent lubing of the contact points are the important point in stable tuning - not the number of springs.

In fact, if you were to consider the situation purely from an engineering point of view, less springs means less contact points, and therefore less likelihood of something sticking.

dmagalhaes

Silver Supporting Member
I use 5 springs and I've never used or even had a bar in any of my Strats, I got my first one in 1985.

Go Cat Go!!

Funny this came up. I usually use 3 but I have 4 on this one strat. It feels horrible when using the bar. This weekend's project is o replace the 4 springs with 5 Raw Vintage springs. I hope it makes a difference. I may undeck it too!

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
I have this one MIM Strat I tune to Eb and right now it has 4 springs with a D'Adarrio 10 set.

Thinking about going to 5 springs....I like the tremolo to float in the middle.

Will 5 springs help with tuning?

Thanks in advance!
I float all my Strats even the Eb ones and I use 3 springs...I like that feel, not too stiff cause I like to do subtle shimmer stuff and you don't want to fight the damn thing.
The trick for remaining in tune is to have a good nut, lube your string trees, nut and saddles...anything that touches the string.

Reactions: jcs

jcs

I float all my Strats even the Eb ones and I use 3 springs...I like that feel, not too stiff cause I like to do subtle shimmer stuff and you don't want to fight the damn thing.
The trick for remaining in tune is to have a good nut, lube your string trees, nut and saddles...anything that touches the string.
What gauge of strings do you use?

My issue came up when I detuned to Eb with the 10 set.

It feels a bit floppy even with 4 springs right now.

Trending Topics