Anyone use 500k pots in Jazzmaster?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by still.ill, Jul 11, 2018.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

Have some McNelly 46/58's lying around. 3 people who've had them said they sound best with 500k vol/tone pots so I bought a couple of those too. Just wondering if the neck pickup gets a lot darker with 500k vs 1Meg... but i suppose if both pickups get a bit warmer, I can just turn the treble up on the amp to compensate. Main reason I wasn't completely satisfied with stock '65 PU's and 1 meg pots was bridge was super bright compared to the relatively warm neck (def warmer than my strat neck)
    Also had to have the bridge pickup set super high to balance the neck which was quite low.

2. Sensates

Sensates Member

I do, and I like it that way. Mine also has the PV65 neck pup but a mini humbucker on bridge.

Bear in mind I'm not a die hard JM fan, so I'm not very particular into getting a specific JM tone. But 500k on it just seems to make it easier to match with my amp and pedal settings.

3. daddyplayedsax

daddyplayedsax Member

Do you use the rhythm circuit? I've got 250K pots in my jazzmaster to make it react a bit more like a telecaster, but I removed the 50K tone from the rhythm and put another 1M pot in, then changed the wiring so both pickups run through the rhythm circuit. That means I can get the 250K sound and the traditional 1M wiring depending on how I feel.

There's a definite difference in sound between the two. It's not just the 'darker' sound - it changes the resonant peak of the pickup so it becomes a bit beefier. I found it a lot more useful with the 250s, but I'm another that's not so enamoured with the traditional Jazzmaster sound.

dirk_benedict likes this.
  4. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

me!
    i actually may have even gone to 250k at this point, i should check.
    took out the rhythm circuit too (sonic youth). and 50s wiring for the tone pot. of all my guitars, that’s the one that best responds to control changes

5. still.ill

still.ill Member

oh yeah i never really use the rhythm circuit besides using it for tuning, turbo tuner is super accurate with that. the rhythm circuit to me is literally blanket over amp

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  6. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I've got 250s in mine and I like it a lot. 1 meg was just ridiculous.

7. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I've tried them all. I just run the 1megs at something lower than 10 and it's good enough 98% of the time. I read a post once from someone here that said the key to happiness on a JM is never having those pots wide open. Sometimes having that bit of extra can be helpful in a live situation but it's mostly proven true for me.

On a prior Jazzmaster I had gone the the "yank the rhythm circuit out...go 250k pots" route and it made the bridge cooler but mud city on the neck. Couldn't get things balanced.

Marris Otter likes this.
  8. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

The first JM I had I put in 250k's and Duncan pickups. I sold the guitar because the sound was too generic and similar to a strat. I think the 1M pots are key to the JM tone but I understand people who are frustrated with them. For all the anxiety about gear people seem to loath touching their tone controls (I get it, just as guilty) using different values in the rhythm circuit seems like a great experiment.

dirk_benedict and Marris Otter like this.
  9. still.ill

still.ill Member

That sounds like a great idea.... so technically speaking I could put 1 meg pots in the rhythm circuit and have 500 k pots in the main circuit to get the best of both worlds?

10. daddyplayedsax

daddyplayedsax Member

Yes, absolutely. You could have any value in the either circuit really; I just used 1M because it's the traditional value and I had a spare mini-pot kicking around from when I took the rhythm circuit out of my other JM. There are a lot of variations on the wiring - the same value pots in both circuits so you have switchable presets, LP wiring with independent pickup volumes in the main circuit and two tones in the rhythm circuit, two volumes and a two band passive EQ etc. It's a pretty versatile base for wiring mods.

11. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Normally I use 500K with Lollar's. Nice balance and the neck does not get too dark.