Anyone use a 2x12 stack?

sled

I use two Mesa 2x12. One with M75 and the other with BM75. Each are 16 ohm.

It's easier to transport, more flexibility to downsize when required.

geek-mo

Silver Supporting Member
I use what I like to call two "quarter stacks" with my AC30 head. One has a Celestion alnico Blue and a G12H30 and one has a Celestion Gold and a G12H30. I have been tempted to convert one to all Blue and use the other one to load the beginnings of a 4x12 with two Gold and 2 G12H30, but I may keep this configuration. It certainly is very flexible.

hurtwoodec

Silver Supporting Member
I use a Two Rock 2 x 12 loaded with an Evm12L and a Scholz Classic. If you get the right 2 x 12 they can sound almost as big as a Quad but are easier to lug.

my 2c

NativH

Platinum Supporting Member
I had a quasi version of that for awhile and loved it. A custom Series I Bluesbreaker cab using a '76 Marshall 1987 for the amp, loaded with 50W Weber Alnico Silver Bell/Blue Dog combination. Also had a Bogner Large Box 2x12 closed back with the same speaker combination. They looked great together. Now it wasn't much easier to schlep around than a head and 4x12, but it looked uber cool, sounded very full (combining an open back combo and large closed back 2x12), and you could split the boxes to different sides of the stage if you wanted to. Liked the idea very much.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I had a two 2x12 stack and then got a 4x12.

I greatly prefer the 4x12. It sounded more solid and was easier to transport since it didn't require bending way over when rolling it on casters.

ledzep618

Are you asking about using 2 separate 2x12s? I wouldn't do that. How is it less to lug? That's easily an extra trip to the car over just a single 4x12, plus there is something about speakers interacting with each other in the 4x12 enclosure that works better.

A single 2x12 though can be a good substitute to a 4x12 if you're looking to downsize and get the right cabinet.

johngrant69

Are you asking about using 2 separate 2x12s? I wouldn't do that. How is it less to lug? That's easily an extra trip to the car over just a single 4x12, plus there is something about speakers interacting with each other in the 4x12 enclosure that works better.

A single 2x12 though can be a good substitute to a 4x12 if you're looking to downsize and get the right cabinet.
The reason I was considering it was because it gives me the option to still take a 2x12 if space in the car is tight and that I can carry a 2x12 myself up a flight of stairs, a 4x12 is a bit of a mission.

But yeah, does the larger baffle make a difference in a 4x12? Would two oversized 2x12's stacked be much different?

handtrix

Tricky depending on design and finding the right speakers to compliment. Not only the Head and Tone, but making the cabinet sound right. Not too boxy, bassy, boomy, thin, projection, etc. I had a custom ¼ stack built Month's of trial & error & ca$h, and almost scrapping the idea, I finally settled on re-coning a pair of vintage speakers with a higher ohm rating. *BTW there is no subbing a 4x12. ;-)

Last edited:

axpro

I'm using a single 2x12, It's a DrZ Z-best cab, it's ported, and heavy as heck, but it sounds Beefy as all hell. I used to use a generic 2x12, and really found it didn't do it for me. If you decided on a 2x12 cabs, make sure you find one that feels right, because carrying my old 2x12 to band practices was easier, but the sound just made me go "meh"

As handtrix says, There is NO subbing a 4x12, but if you find a 2x12 you click with, it can get you through the night!
:D

fyler

i haven't found a second 2X12" cab really adds much (or at least not enough to justify lugging it to a show). as long as i get my single 2X12" off the ground, so i can hear it - it's plenty.

lameburger

I'm playing my JCM800 into a matching Marshall 1936, though I want to get an Orange closed back 2x12 soonish. I think Marshalls sound a bit more aggressive and modern through Vintage 30s.

csseemat

You might also check out reviews of 4x12s that use separate compartments like the Mesa road king or Buddas 4x12. I'm sure there are more out there but they basically are a stacked 2x12 in the same box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Topics