Anyone use a Boss octave pedal? -need advice!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by squeally dan, May 9, 2008.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I love kicking in an octave pedal to thicken up certain parts. My old cheap Arion one died and I need a new one. Is the Boss OC-2 good enough? Is the newer version (OC-3) much better?

2. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

The OC-3 has a few extra features. It has a Fuzz/Octave setting which is brutal in a good way. Lot's of noise if you want it. The Poly setting is cool because you can set the range of the neck that is effected. For instance you can have the lower notes with octave and the upper part of the board without octave.Tracking is decent too:AOK

Disclaimer: I do have one in the emphorium for sale but this is my unbiased opinion. I've had the pedal on my board since the OC-3 came out. It replaced an OC-2 and both have now been ursurped by an Octron II.

3. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

if you use it just to thicken up parts, in a subtle way, I think the Boss is perfect for ya...

4. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

If you're replacing an Arion unit check out the Danelectro Chilli Dog. It's cheap and old-school with the common occasional tracking problems below the 5th on the low E and above the 15th on the high E. It does however track some double stops decently - it also has 1 and 2 octaves down. The 2 down function by itself reminds me a bit of the MXR Blue Box. You can also get some great analogue synth-like tones when you couple it with a phaser and some fuzz effects.

5. ?&!

?&! Member

I actually prefer the oc-2 to the oc-3. I couldn't get the oc-3 to track well, and it sounds much grainier to my ears than the oc-2. I just got a Japanese oc-2 (to replace the Taiwanese one I had), and it's killing for me.

6. nek

nek Member

In addition to thickening the low end, octave down pedals are great to cover octave up leads, in a way that gives the same feel without having every member of the band turn around and shout "turn that sh*t off".

I prefer the OC-2 to the OC-3, although both are a tough pedal to use live with a small amplifier. The PS-5, although not as nice sounding in isolation, sounds better live. I can also get several other sounds from it.

If you want to loosen up a modern Boss pedal so it sounds like a MIJ, feed it 12v instead of 9v.

7. ?&!

?&! Member

Good advice! I'm anxious to experiment with the 12v suggestion. I had a PS-5 for a while, and although I loved the Iron Maiden-esque sounds you could get with the diatonic 3rds setting, the octave down setting never seemed to be quite in tune to my ears. The lower octave always sounded a little sharp. That's why I bought an OC-2 in the first place. I had to ditch the PS-5 when I started playing an amp with no effects loop, 'cuz it wouldn't track for sh!t through the front end. I miss it. :-(

8. nek

nek Member

I play in a power trio and its really a challenge to come up with four sets worth of different sounds. I suspect PS-5 being slightly out of tune helps create the illusion of a lower octave out of a small amplifier and makes a guitar sound a little more synth-like. I really like the detune mode in combination with a phase shifter at different modulation rates although it gets a little transparent.

9. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

Boss OC-2 is a great simple ocatve pedal and used prices are pretty low.

The EH micro POG looks interesting. The demo I saw was cool. It can handle chords and kinda sound like a 12 string.

BTW, the old Boss pedals that use the 12v ACA adapter have a diode and resistor in them to reduce the 12v to 9v. The modern Boss pedals that use the 9v PSA adapter do not have the diode and resistor in them to reduce the power.

If you use a 12v adapter in a Boss pedal designed for a 9v adapter you run the risk of frying something in the pedal.

If you use a 9V adapter in a Boss pedal designed for a 12v adapter then the light will be dim and the pedal will sound weak because the diode and resistor in the pedal are reducing the 9v power to around 7v.

However, you can modify an old Boss pedal to run off a modern 9v adaptor by bypassing the diode and resistor with a jumper or by removing the diode and resistor and replacing them with a jumper.

-Tim

10. nek

nek Member

The PSA adaptor is regulated and the ACA is not. The voltage out of the ACA sags with current. I dunno whether the goodness comes from sag or overvoltage.

I confess to torturing a Boss RV-5 (digital pedal) and a OC-2 (analog pedal) with 12v for at least three years running now. Recently replaced the OC-2 with a PS-5 similarly abused with no deleterious effect to date.

I think you should all pay attention to Tim's warnings because I want to be the only guitarist with the cool 12v Boss sound!

11. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

Many cool sounds come from pushing equipment beyond its intended limits.

Are you using a Boss ACA adaptor to supply power to those pedals or a regulated 12v adaptor? As you mentioned, the voltage of the ACA decreases as the current draw increases. The RV5 and PS5 draw a lot of current so chances are they would not get a full 12v when used together with one ACA adaptor.

I'm not saying don't do it but, among other things, there are a bunch of electrolytic caps in the RV5 that will be pushed near their limits with a 12v power supply. It may work with some Boss pedals, it may not with others, or it may work for a while.

-Tim

12. Judson

Judson Senior Member

I enjoy running synths, basses or guitars through my OC-2. Everyone says it sonds great, I would love a Octron though.

13. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I used an OC-2 for a lot of years, in fact it was only recently replaced with an Octron and was only done so I could condense my board. I love the OC-2 and I think it'll be great for what you're talking about.