Anyone use a compressor in their amp's effects loop?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lv, Jan 23, 2008.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

Do compressors typically go in front of the amp or in the loop?

I tried putting my bjf pine green comp in the loop of my glaswerks and prefer it there. Anyone else experience this?

2. pgissi

pgissi Member

Compressors by nature work to raise the signal when its low and lower the signal when its higher than an established threshold, thus compressing the dynamic range, the ratio of the softest and loudest signals which can be expressed in dbm or db spl.

Because of their design, while they are bringing up the low end of the signal, they can bring up the noise that is present down there and are bringing up the noise of anything that precedes them.

They can also introduce pumping and breathing where there is a periodic rising and falling of signal amplitude that has an audible byproduct. This is severe compression of the dynamic range.

The best place for a compressor is earlier (preceding the amps pre-amp) in the signal chain preceding another pedal that you may want to get some sustain through or do some chicken pickin squash tone with. The compressor will do both. Having it very early inthe chain, right off the pups means there is virtually no accumulated noise as when its placed later in the chain with other pedals preceding it, it tends to bring up the noise of what comes before.

Since I only have one, I use it early on, before all my other pedals and in a full bypass loop since its not a full bypass pedal, I dont want its buffer always in my signal chain. With it placed at the begining of my chain, I can use it pre-wah, volume pedal, OD's, phase/chorus/flanging/univibe/tremelo etc. and finally the amps pre-amp, fx loop time domain stuff and on.

In this manner it is driving the total signal chain and can push an amp to a roar with sustain and feedback for days.

You can use it in the loop but it can squash your tone, affect the attack and envelope of the FX Loop return pre-Output stage while maybe adding some noise.

It could be useful for something special in the loop though, just not all around useful imo since technically a compressor is known as a "dynamics processor".

3. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Great post pgissi ..

Interesting you like your bjf pine green in the loop Iv ...
    I totally love that pedal, but truly don't think of it as a compressor
    as much as a tone/mojo enhancer ... (even though it's called a compressor)

So I could see how it would work in the loop as a boost,
    as I think it has very little, if any squish on tap .. But jeeze, is it a good sounding pedal ....

4. Doodles

Doodles Member

I have mine in my loop. That's kind of where I prefer it. I don't know why it just seems like the right place for it!!

5. pgissi

pgissi Member

The rules are meant to be broken and since most compressors are line level devices, it shoud play nice in the loop.

In the loop I prefer the most transparent boost I can find where the dynamics are not affected but I could see getting some unique things with a compressor in a loop.

Could work to tighten and compress the output for those dinner shows where you dont want to choke the guests as you blast into your shining moment of guitar hero glory.

MBW likes this.
  6. doc

doc Member

Thought I'd resurrect this thread to ask a variation of the question - I have a hybrid amp with a tube pre and SS power section. Would a compressor set to "stun" in the effects loop help me emulate the feel and sound of power tube sag at all?