Anyone use a JC-120 with guitar speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cap'n'crunch, Feb 23, 2009.

1. cap'n'crunch

cap'n'crunch Member

Just wondering what a JC-120 would sound like with say, Celestion Vintage30's or Greenbacks etc.etc. Would it take dirt pedals better? The reason I ask is because dirt pedals seem kinda harsh and cold into the JC-120.
    Thanks

2. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

I have a similar problem but I do not think that changing speakers will be worth the trouble (and money).
    If you prefer a warmer tone and good overdrive/distortion go the tube way.

3. slegros

slegros Member

I regularly play through one at a local studio that had the stock speakers replaced with Celestion CL80s. Great amp!!! The CL80s seem to be a nice match to the JC-120, they definitely warm it up and let it take pedals much better. Its easy to compare, as in one studio there's a stock JC-120, and in the other the JC-120 with the CL80s. The one with theCL80s kills the std. one....

4. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

5. cap'n'crunch

cap'n'crunch Member

Well, I do much prefer my tube amps but, I just received this as a trade on a Bass amp that I didn't need anymore so, now I'm just dubbing around with this trying to get some usable tones with a dirt pedal. I'll eventually sell it though I'm sure.