• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Anyone use a Metal zone ?

Lullabies

I am curious .. I know its popular to rip on them and hate them but I dunno I am considering getting one to add to my setup so I can have my main fuzz sound and the metal zone for tighter tones. I was jamming with one and a whammy v last night into a JCM 2000 dsl with some buddies and with the distortion amount at minimum, level boosted, 200hz mid boosted a bit, treble around noon and bass around noon it sounded pretty good I thought. Nice room filling Silverchair kind of sound. I plan on stacking one into my malekko sloika which is always on set very low gain anyways which would warm up the metal zone too.

Anyone else use one or am I the crazy one for digging their tone???

jsytsma

Used in the proper context, I'm sure you could make it work for you. I'm not sure you could get a Silverchair sound out of it, but what do I know?

Lullabies

Used in the proper context, I'm sure you could make it work for you. I'm not sure you could get a Silverchair sound out of it, but what do I know?
Yeah it has its uses.... I thought it sounded good with the settings I mentioned. BUT It is also VERY easy to get it to sound terrible. Even with the Dist level at minimum it has a lot of gain

Supern00b

I am curious .. I know its popular to rip on them and hate them but I dunno I am considering getting one to add to my setup so I can have my main fuzz sound and the metal zone for tighter tones. I was jamming with one and a whammy v last night into a JCM 2000 dsl with some buddies and with the distortion amount at minimum, level boosted, 200hz mid boosted a bit, treble around noon and bass around noon it sounded pretty good I thought. Nice room filling Silverchair kind of sound. I plan on stacking one into my malekko sloika which is always on set very low gain anyways which would warm up the metal zone too.

Anyone else use one or am I the crazy one for digging their tone???
Can't tell if April Fool's joke...

Jason_77

They have a great eq section with the parametric mids. It's a shame more OD pedals don't have that. But, like you said, it has a LOT of gain, even at minimum settings. If it was a little less compressed and had a more usable gain control, it would be great pedal.

Lullabies

nope... No joke.

Its easy for everyone to band together to rip on the metal zone but I wonder how many of you have played one into a decent amp and spent some time dialing it in... I definitely don't think it is a worthless pedal. But like I said it is very easy to get it to sound like bees in a can

DanSimon

i just discovered a pedal maker called Lone Wolf Audio.. he does these badass recreations/ revisions of a HM-2 heavy metal and others.. originals too

the one is called Left Hand Wrath , u owe it to yourself to check it out.

jota

I have one and use it a lot.
When I'm playing guitar, I like to leave the windows wide open and the wind makes the papers fly all over the room!
MT-2 makes a nice paperweight that keeps everything tight and clean!
Not kidding!

Grainslayer

I got one as a gift.ive been able to make it work but when I can afford it,I'd like to replace it with something nicer.i usually use it for lead and run it with a carbon copy delay..I don't think it would ever sound good enough for live use.

Last edited:

kdc113

I have one, the stock sound sucks, but I mod it. Change some capacitors and the sounds get in a usable territory for a lot of styles. Also install a 3 way switch for the clipping section, Si diodes, LEDs and no diodes, this last one make the pedal less compressed, more open sound, and make more usable the dist knob, given less gain in minimun, and mostly of the gain it gets standard at maximum.

NewDr.P

youve got to be using a really bad sounding rig to add a metal zone and be pleased.

i guess everything is relative and subjective, though.

use what you like.

DaveKS

Y U NO BUY BIYANG

I actually kind of inherited one of these, it's really pretty nice for a $70 pedal. Perfect 1st pedal for young metal heads and beats the metal zone from one end street to the next as far as tone goes.

ejoco

I think there are definitely better options out there, but from my experience the metal zone is not as bad as some people make it out to be. The pedal actually gives a lot of tone shaping options that can all get pretty extreme so it's easy to dial in some horrible tones, but once you figure out how to dial in the knobs I think you can get some decent sounds out of it....I Played a Keeley modded one a while back that I thought was cool....but for the price I think you can do better these days....anyway, if you like it stick with it! Who cares what a bunch of random people on the internet think

rschultz13

Silver Supporting Member
I think there are definitely better options out there, but from my experience the metal zone is not as bad as some people make it out to be. The pedal actually gives a lot of tone shaping options that can all get pretty extreme so it's easy to dial in some horrible tones, but once you figure out how to dial in the knobs I think you can get some decent sounds out of it....I Played a Keeley modded one a while back that I thought was cool....but for the price I think you can do better these days....anyway, if you like it stick with it! Who cares what a bunch of random people on the internet think
I think that's about right. Modding it does a world of good and makes it much more usable… but for the price of that you can do better.

ispunk

Silver Supporting Member
How many times must it be stated on this forum?

"Metal Zone pedals they suck"

;)

Dubious

Just borrowed one the other day. Kicks ass.

i run loud clean amps as a pedal platform so i like FLAVORS of dirt / fuzz. Needed some nice icey hot TITE tones like Godflesh, Celtic frost, carcass, at the gates, entombed etc etc

Gets the job DONE and then some

drabombs

I read Kirk Windstein of Crowbar uses the MT-2 for a boost (gain off), so there's one pro that uses it supposedly.

But there are HM-2s on ebay for $100 right now and the Metal Muff is $90 new. I like those a lot better personally but like someone already said - who cares what TGP thinks?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom