Anyone use a phaser and a flanger on one board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by neosoulchild, May 14, 2015.

1. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

I've redesigned my board, and now I have room for a couple of pedals. I already have a phaser, but I've been thinking of adding a flanger and a tremolo pedal. Does anyone use a flanger and a phaser pedal on one board? Or is it one or the other? I've used phasers extensively, but never a flanger. Just wanted to try some new flavors..

2. wesawtheseas

wesawtheseas Member

I was going to. I wanted the huge EHX one, but ended up getting the Hyper phaze cause the place I was looking sold it. So right now I have a tremelo and a phaser. I might get a flange, but dunno.

3. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

Yup, I have both on the board one right after the other although I never use them together.
    I think it really depends on what you want to do with your board tho.
    My flanger is usually used for particular Gilmour sounds (and other things).
    My phaser is used more for The War on Drugs sounds (and other things).

I couldn't really hit either one correctly w/o each one, so I have a need for them.
    If you have no actual need for a pedal, it makes no sense to have one.
    The kind of music you want to make should be directing your pedal purchases.

4. boppy

boppy Member

Yes.

I run an MXR Phase 90 or an EHX Small Stone before dirt, and an old MXR M117 after dirt.

The two effects sound VERY different in my opinion--no redundancy there. Phase is a type of filter-sweep while flange is a time-delay effect.

Application-wise, I use phaser for a type of swirly throb--rather like a univibe, and I set my flanger like a chorus to thicken leads ala David Gilmour.

I love tremolo too, but for the sake of keeping things simple, I'll just add that one (mine is a Dano Tuna Melt) on an as-needed basis.

5. thecornman

thecornman Member

No, but I do use two phasers on my board at times!

6. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

yep always after dirt, I like dramatic changes to guitar tones and I find them both appealing.

There are a lot of cool sounds found in flangers!

7. Stephans

Stephans Member

Yes, MXR Phase 90 and MXR M117, totaly different sounds

8. XSSIVE

XSSIVE D'Avanzo Guitars Vendor

I've got an MXR EVH phase 90 and a Boss BF-2 flanger on my board and I just bought a Boss PH-2 phaser and it's so radically different that I may end up with two phasers and a flanger.

9. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Member

I have a Hartman flanger and an Mxr 74 phase 90. They are both musical and complimentary.

10. rsm

rsm Member

Yes; in fact I have both on several patches in my GT-100. Depending on settings, they can be very interesting together IMO.

11. phillybri

phillybri Supporting Member

MXR Micro Flanger and EVH Phase 90 on my board.

Flanger for Barracuda, Phase 90 for all the VH stuff...

12. shinksma

shinksma Member

Yep, MXR Phase 100 and Boss BF-2. Use the flanger for a thick flangy sound (works well for one particular song by Porcupine Tree called "In Formaldehyde"), and the phaser is used randomly for, well, phasey stuff. The phaser often gets set on longer, medium-subtle "wooshes" for ambient soundscape stuff, or a faster less intense univibe-type sound for solos.

I use a bit of longer-phase soft phaser and a bit of chorus for Gilmour stuff like Breathe.

The phaser just got on my main board since I have been re-arranging a lot recently, so I'm still sorting out how I want to get certain sounds. I had been using a Line MM4 Univibe model for that univibe sound on Breathe, for example, but I find the phaser/Chorus combo to be slightly "better sounding", even if it isn't more "authentic".

13. KoskineN

KoskineN Supporting Member

I have three phasers and one flanger on the same board...there is no rule for this, so go crazy!

XISTH likes this.
  14. Oldschool59

Oldschool59 Member

Yup, Phaser, Flanger, Chorus and Tremolo. All the modulation types on my board. Phasing and flanging are quite different, but it really depends on the range and settings of the effects. Love the different flavors, and even combining them at times. No definite rules here, go by what sound great to your ears.

15. boppy

boppy Member

If I could cop a decent phaser sound with a flanger, I wouldn't need the Phase 90 or Small Stone.

16. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

Ok cool.. I was just curious about how others have their setup. I have a good idea how I want to use it. With some tremolo, and some verb maybe. I currently have 2 phasers, but I've lately been very curious in some flanger tones.
    Been listening to alot of Dinosaur Jr of late.. I really like how he goes from like a surf rock vibe to a psych fuzz type thing. My setup is pretty similar, but I noticed he used a flanger and tremolo alot. I'm pretty set on getting a tremolo, but was wondering if 2 phasers and a flanger might be redundant. Judging from the responses however, it doesn't seem so strange.

17. dsimon665

dsimon665 Supporting Member

flanger hoax

...but you might need more space

18. 71strat

71strat Member

Moog MF103 Phaser

Moog MF108M Clusterflux

Roger Mayer Vooodoo Vibe+.

19. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I used to have an Empress Nebulus and Phase 45 on the same board. The Nebulus was set for a through zero flange and the Phase 45 was set on a subtle phase around 11 o clock.

20. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

Me too. I think combining them at moments when you want to feel something unexpected is cool. Sometimes, but not always.

I use a p90 Whirlwind Orange Box before fuzz, and after octave. I use a Meistersinger chorus or a BF-2 after fuzz. I use a Soul Food after these. I use a ton of trem, if available on the amp too, which is great combined with any, you know for wild stuff. I want a stand alone trem, (had a Fulltone) but maybe that's too much. I use either chorus or flanger depending on my mood.