• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone use a ProCo RAT w/ your bass?

I just bought a vintage ('81 or '83) ProCo RAT. I'm planning to use it mostly with my guitar, but I think that it was one of Krist Novoselic's favorite pedals on his bass rig when Nirvana was still tearing up the stage.

Who uses a RAT with your bass guitars?

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Not a fan of distortion with bass, and don't particularly care for the unmodded Rat, so I might be in the minority.

Not a fan of distortion with bass, and don't particularly care for the unmodded Rat, so I might be in the minority.
What kind of mods were done to RATs for bass players? I've read elsewhere that stock RATs tended to lose some low end when use with basses.

Some folks have said they prefer to use a Turbo RAT with a bass rather than one of the vintage models from the early 1980's.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
What kind of mods were done to RATs for bass players? I've read elsewhere that stock RATs tended to lose some low end when use with basses.

Some folks have said they prefer to use a Turbo RAT with a bass rather than one of the vintage models from the early 1980's.
Excellent question. I had a buddy (haven't seen in a while) I played with for a couple of years who had a Rat that he said had been modded. Didn't ask at the time, but this was about 5-6 years ago. I think though that bottom end thing was what was augmented, but it was a while back.

rybass

I've used one for bass. I really didn't like it due to low end loss but the distortion was great. A blender pedal would be good with it to blend dry and dirty so you can hold on to the low freqs.

bonruiz

I just bought a vintage ('81 or '83) ProCo RAT. I'm planning to use it mostly with my guitar, but I think that it was one of Krist Novoselic's favorite pedals on his bass rig when Nirvana was still tearing up the stage.

Who uses a RAT with your bass guitars?
I own a vintage RAT not the urbo , I use it to add punch and stress overdrives when needed, I love its classic vibe!:aok

b80

Yes. I tried a few different Bass distortion/fuzz pedals before I plugged into my RAT. Love the sound!

NashSG

Turbo Rat also cut out a ton of bass but gave the bass a sharp edge. I used one in a band in the early 90s that way. Tried it a couple years back on my current setup and thought it was a buzzy noisy mess.

I used a Tech 21 xxl bass distortion on a couple of songs recording last year. The best bass distortion I have found that really leaves the bass intact is a Zvex Distortron.

ThePeopleofColin

Runs with Scissors
I used to use an old, rusting, small box Rat 2 in the 90's with my RD Artist. I loved the sound, but didn't like the loss of low end. I had high hopes for the ProCo Juggernaut, but wasn't very impressed with the reviews I read of it when it was released.

Years later, I finally got a solution to my problem. I had a friend build a Rat clone based off of, and tuned with my pedal. It's got a clean blend, reutz mod, switchable Rat/Turbo Rat settings, and a passive high and low eq. It turned out great. It's still on my bass board to this day.

bigtone23

I like the RAT, but prefer to have it blended with some dry/clean signal to preserve the low end.

I use a clone that sounds like a mix between a Turbo Rat and a Whiteface Rat (the reissue of the good ol' 80s RATs), and the range is very usable. Don't turn the dirt all the way up, and keep the tone very bassy. There you get that gnarly RAT bass!

The Turbo Rat is, indeed, one of the most bass-friendly RATs, I believe.
Kim Gordon used one, listen to ''My Friend Goo'' and to ''Youth Against Facism''.
Justin Chancelor also has been using one for years. He used to EQ back some bass, now he blends it with a LS-2.

RATs on basses are awesome, man.

bigtone23

I have a 92 Rat 2 with the 47 ohm resistor clipped. Lowers the gain, ups the bass. Perfect for bass guitar!

rummy

Silver Supporting Member
Sparkle Drive. The ability to blend in clean signal is crucial.

Trending Topics