Anyone use a Rondo Pedal board/Case?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Imiss85, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

I'm looking to upgrade my pedal board to a board with a case, I like what I see on the Rondo board, curious on the build quality. Doesn't have any bells and whistles, but looks decent. I figure a one spot/ daisy chain and one of these will do. Is anyone here using one? Can you comment on it?

2. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Supporting Member

I'm using one and it works great. I ripped out the crappy carpet stuff they put in there and redid it with velcro. Still a great board for little cash.

3. holyears

holyears Member

I had one a few years ago, it was good for the $$, but I found the 1" or so raised edge to be a bit annoying when trying to plug in cables... my $.02

4. Grap

Grap Member

I've had one of the medium sized CNB cases for about a year.

Pros: Cheap.

Cons: Weak hinges. That raised lip. Absence of padding inside the lid to keep the pedals om place during transit.

I've had to bend my hinges back into shape a couple of times, I made up some right-angled plug to barrel socket jumper leads to facilitte plugging into the pedals that ended up near the edge, and I got some foam off-cuts that I stuffed inside the lid. For US$30 I'm not complaining. The Pro wins out over the Cons ;)

5. Dharmasound

Dharmasound Member

I have one, it is kind of cheap, but it works for now while I have no money to buy a nice case.

[​IMG]

6. VinceM

VinceM Silver Supporting Member

I've got one - it is definitely not heavy duty, but it has been doing the job for me for a couple of years now.

My only complaint so far - like MagicNelson also mentioned - is the carpet stuff they use. More specifically, how it is attached. Believe it or not, I only have one pedal with velcro on the bottom. But pulling off that one pedal a few times ended up pulling out the carpet at that location (I have it near the front edge).

MagicNelson - how did you redo the carpet on the board? Glue or staple? I'd like to fix mine up as well. Or does the velcro carpet have adhesive on its bottom?

Vince

7. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Supporting Member

What I did was I tore the carpet out, glued a piece of luhan wood in there to make that lip smaller and then I bought industrial strength velcro and installed that on top of the wood. The pedals dont flop around anymore and it works great.

8. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

It works, but I wouldnt jump up and down on it

9. VinceM

VinceM Silver Supporting Member

MagicNelson - that sounds nice - did the wood make it much heavier? I wouldn't want to add alot of weight to it to strain the hinges. What's luhan wood? Is it pretty light? Where did you get it?

Speaking of hinges - have yours held up o.k.? Mine seem fine, but I sometimes worry if the whole thing will give way and empty the contents onto the sidewalk as I'm carrying it to a gig. At this point I just place the pedals inside with no velcro and put some other things in there (straps, cables, etc) to keep everything from moving too much. I guess that extra weight would also straining the hinges probably at least as much as that piece of wood you describe.

10. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

So is there enough space to put a small 2-3" riser on the top half of the board then? I'd like to have my dirt pedals and wah on the bottom, my EQ, Delay, Phase and trem pedals on the top on a small riser, just enough to clear them so I don't hit the knobs on the dirt pedals on the bottom.

11. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I notice that Rondo has come out with a new heavier-duty line of pedalboards. Has anyone here seen one in person? Are they road-worthy? Is the carpet still the same crappy stuff?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  12. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I'm told they're only making that one size for now, and they are using the same carpet.

13. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

Cut a piece of plywood a little smaller that the opening, painted it black, installed velcro on plywood, inserted into cabinet. No problems now with pedals falling off the carpet etc.

Next step, raise plywood to overcome issue with high lip of cabinet and secure plywood board to cabinet.

14. peacebone

peacebone Member

I'm curious of their road-worthiness too

15. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

I bought one a couple of months ago to house my recently acquired Boss GT-10. I mounted the GT-10 to the carpeted tray with heavy duty velcro. So far nothing has come loose yet, even when the case is stored vertically during transit to the gig. I have gigged this case a few times now, but just local club dates. Its not super heavy duty but fine for what it is. No complaints really given the price. I think the build quality is decent and it keeps the GT-10 from getting damaged during load in/setup and load out. I just remove the lid, plug in a few cables and go for it. Like others have said, the hinges for the removable lid are a bit flimsy but so far they are working fine.

16. whitenoise

whitenoise Member

i have one, i really dont gig so no problem here. it does a great job of keeping my pedals orginized, and secured when not in use.

17. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

The hinges are weak and I wouldn't take it on the road for an extended time, but for the weekender guy it does pretty well. I cut out the carpet and 3 bucks of the ugliest carpet I could find at Lowe's and sprayed it down with some good adhesive spray. No extra weight and cost about 6 bucks for the carpet and the adhesive.

18. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Has anyone here tried the Rondo "flight" case? Are the hinges more durable than the old ones?

19. charmboy

charmboy Member

I used one of these for a while when I didn't have as many pedals as now. It really did the trick, but as others have stated, the carpeting eventually pulled up too much to use it. I do tend to move my pedals around and take them off/on often though. I eventually upgraded my board, and still have the rondo, which I'll fix up and put to some sort of use later.

As a note, I have a friend who's been using one for a few years without any trouble, but he tends to just leave his pedals on it without removing/moving them around often. Really not a bad choice if you need a quick/cheap solution though.

20. shawnshack

shawnshack Supporting Member

the cheap ones suck (I have one). It is like a glorified gig bag, but the new flight cases are great! Sturdy hinges, latches, binding. Overall tougher, and the carpet does not pull up. The carpet it what you would expect from a road worthy case. This one is great, no problems.