Anyone use a Strat thru a dirty amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarz1972, Feb 10, 2012.

1. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

I've got a '56 Relic, of course it's not "noiseless," and so far I've just set my amp clean and used pedals for all my dirt. Thinking about setting my Genz Benz Black Pearl "dirty," and just using the volume knob to go from clean to mean. Anyone use (let's call them "noisy") single coils with dirty amps, and how's that working out for you?

Thanks.

Chris

2. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Hell yes! There are a few things to watch out for. Try to get some distance from your amp. You cannot stand right over a combo or your transformers will induce major hum.

There is usually an angle for the guitar, that's quite a bit quieter, especially if you are on the close end of things.

Prepare your area, avoid florescent tube lighting and ordinary wall dimmer controlled lighting. If it's not your place, run the dimmer full or off.

I totally love noisy single coil pickups. It's really only an issue for me between songs, and super easy to get in the habit of rolling off the volume unless you're playing. To my ears single coils get wild and explode with really interesting overtones, humbuckers can too, but they are polite, smooth and powerful, as opposed to snaggly ornery single coils.

A p-90 or Strat or Tele into a loud ass Marshall thing and a four X 12" or two is the best sound I can think of. It doesn't even need to be dirty, just big and boney, the best!

Go for it!

3. axelfoley

axelfoley Supporting Member

4. LPVM

LPVM Member

Damn nice musical feedback is easily achievable too.

5. halfnote

halfnote Senior Member

I haven't but a guy I know who knows an other guy has fender that's about 30 years old, stored in a sealed warehouse with a smoke stack that bleeds some **** from the rubber plant next door into it and its never once been washed or armor-alled,
    it sure is dirty.

6. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

Face north the noise is cancelled just like a humbucker.
    On the 56 the 2 and 4 position should be RW.

7. Miles

Miles Member

With the "voicing" circuit on the Black Pearl, you can dial those single coils in with loads of gain and burn through that mix with cut AND warmth.

My favorite dirty guitar sound is dirty single coils. Jangle and raunch!

8. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I use my Strat's with a Bogner Goldfinger........My version of Heaven!

9. LPVM

LPVM Member

Single coils sound fantastic with an overdriven amp. Lead runs just hammer right through.

10. stump

stump Member

The Black Pearl sounds great set dirty with a Strat, using the guitar volume to clean up. The foot switchable boost is nice for some extra if you use it that way, I use mine as part of the main sound and don't switch it in or out. My Strat has Texas Specials and noise isn't a problem.

11. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

12. WickedG

WickedG Member

13. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

I have DiMarzio Area pups in my Strat. They are quiet and sound great through a dirty amp.

14. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I prefer the oomph of humbuckers in a Les Paul for dirty amp tones, but I have the option to switch to single coils and a 5-way toggle switch to get as "Strat-like" as possible.

15. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

Yes, its the best

16. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I have a bunch of videos on Youtube running a single coil Strat through a cranked original Trainwreck Express which is quite a gainy beast. That said, currently I have two Strats with Fralins with the reverse wound middle pickup so they are hum cancelling in positions 2 & 4. Also I have a Fender '57 ash body heavy relic with Fralins plus a Suhr hum cancelling back plate. That unit works quite well and allows almost as much hum cancelling as they reverve middle pickup but on all the pickup combinations.

17. FFTT

FFTT Member

18. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

Dude...

I Just got a 60s Relic with a 59 C neck from Wildwood. Alder Body. Low wind Abby's. Not only is it killin for Dirty, It's killin for anything. First Strat that holds OD well on the FRONT PICKUP!

Now back to regularly scheduled :bong

19. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

There's this guy Jimi..........he has a friend named Rory and another friend who's last name is Blackmore....and another cat named named Eric Johnson and it's a pain because we often get mixed up when this other dude Eric Clapton comes over

It works well for me with my amps: Soldano SLO and Lucky13.

20. jdzialak

jdzialak Silver Supporting Member

I've been a humbucker guy for years, so it took me a little while to get it to work. I roll off the tone knob to about 7, and it still bites but it's not too thin anymore, that way.