Anyone use a Vibe in their effects loop?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by somedude, Nov 11, 2005.

1. somedude

somedude Member

As a high gain user, I find I prefer my vibe post gain....otherwise it just gets messy.

Anyway, I was wondering who used thier vibe in the effects loop, what model you're currently using....and any you found didn't work well in the loop.

As well, if Bob happens across this thread....

I'm currently running a Dunlop UniVibe w/ expression pedal. The thing I like about this pedal is that I can set it on my amp and control it remotely, thus I only need to run two ~6in patch cords in my loop (it's the only effect in my loop).

What I'm wondering is if it's possible to configure/mod a MojoVibe to turn on and off with a Dunlop's expression pedal?

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I own a mini-deja-vibbe and just recently got a Mojo Vibe.

The mini-deja-vibe, thinned out my sound too much on the front end. After a cryptic email exchange with Fuller, at one point he wrote "PLEASE don't tell me you are using it in the effects loop!!"
    which I wasn't.

He was rude at first (the above being part of it), and I did ask later among other questions why it would not be good to use in an effects loop...but he ignored the question.

So I couldn't figure out why he thought it would be a bad thing to do. Still...since he pu the idea in my head (sorta like when moms tell their kids "whatever you do, DO NOT put beans up your nose" next minute you got a kid with beans up his nose) so I tried it in the effects loop, and you know what? It sounded WAAAY better. It was much closer to what I wanted with a vibe.

Since then, I got the Mojo vibe, which I have so far only tried in the input side. I'd like also to double check with Bob Sweet if he knows of any reason not to try out the Mojo there?

Anyway, the Mojo delivers the sound on the input...so I don't need to move it to the fx loop, but may for the same reasons you stated..though I am not sure how that would sound with reverb..

I still like the deja-mini-vibe for other things...certain songs and all, it is definitely a different vibe than Bobs. Bobs' is what I was looking for.

3. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

My attitude is this...
    If you like it in the effects loop use it that way. If you don't, don't use it that way. It's a personal choice that only the user can answer. Either way it shouldn't hurt anything (except maybe your tone!).
    As far as the Dunlop pedal, no. It "could" be modified to work with the Mojo but it would take a lot to do it (remote relays etc..).

Your best bet is to wait till I get this half rack version going and see if that's what you want. This is the plan so far, but it all depends on space so nothing is set in stone at this time.

True bypass (with remote controlled relays)
    Speed pedal input
    footswitchable between 2 channels (individual speed and intensity for each channel)
    footswitchable "vibrato" mode
    Bias control brought out front
    Switchable buffer brought out front

But fitting all that in a half rack box may be a bit hard to do, if not impossible.

4. Idlewilde

Idlewilde Member

A full rack would be cool! :D

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Bob, I'm backtracking my pedals...I bought a bunch and get a little mixed up easily :) and anyway, just wondered is the Mojo vibe a true-bypass (completely disconnect), partial-true (bypass but circuit still sees), or buffered?

Thanks!

6. somedude

somedude Member

I'll tell you what Bob.....I'm going to buy a Mojo anyway, but if you build that half rack I'll buy that too....'cause it's got just about every option a guy like me would want.

Does that "Switchable Buffer" you mentioned switch a FET in and out? Or something different?

I've always wished someone would build something where I could run my signal through the bulb part of the circuit with the "rotation" disengaged....(ie, it gives that UniVibe tone, but not the whump-whump-whump thing).

Is the rack mount going to be 18v....or one of those 9v voltage doubling jobbies?

7. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

Well I have to say my MoFaux is exactly what I wanted.:dude

8. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

I may need full rack to fit it all in!!

9. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

The Mojo is completely TRUE BYPASS all the time.
    The ONLY time the FET buffer has any effect is when the Mojo is engaged. And that's ONLY if it is modern mode.

10. oxtone

oxtone Member

I agree with Bob - try the Vibe either way, and see what sounds best to your ears. I've tried a Voodoolabs Microvibe both ways, and it's a crap shoot depending on which amp I'm using that day.

Hendrix didn't have an effects loop - he just ran his original Univibe straight into the wall of Marshalls...Machine Gun - WOW!!!!

11. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

Yes, it switches a FET in and out, the Mojo has this already.
    Actually that "cancel" mode is one I forgot to mention. I'm planning on having that on the half rack version. It pretty much just stops the modulation and you can mess with the intensity to get a different timbre if you want. It doesn't actually bypass the unit. I would like to use AC but most requests have been to keep it 9 volts, so it's more plug and play friendly. So it will more than likely be 9 volts boosted to approx. 17-18 volts internally, but with more current than the Mojo.

12. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

Glad you like it! :)

13. somedude

somedude Member

Jimi didn't have access to the kinda gain I have. :)

Though I'd love a wall of Plexis myself. :dude

14. somedude

somedude Member

Thanks for the info.

What kinda time frame are you looking at before you're ready for production?