1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use an amp stand for small combo at gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AlexK, Aug 2, 2005.

1. AlexK

AlexK Member

Hi,

I just bought a Rivera Chubster 55 and I was considering getting an amp stand for it to use at gigs to point it more towards my ears (it'll be mic'ed for the audience, but not necessarily put through my monitors).

Does anyone do this and can reccomend a nice amp stand? There are a couple at American Musical that look good, and a cheap one from Musician's Friend that doesn't look too bad. Any help or comments?

Thanks,
    Alex

2. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I just use a folding wooden stool that I got off ebay new, unfinished (meaning paint) for $25, it holds 100 lbs, does not tilt which I prefer so that stuff will sit on top without sliding. Its about knee high, works great.

gb

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

4. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    I use a waiter stand. Put it right in your ear, still hits the audience full on, and is a fine place to sit that drink that will end up on your new pedalboard.

Slick51:D

5. chedgeco

chedgeco Silver Supporting Member

I've been using the Ultimate Support Genesis amp stand for about 2 years now with my Mesa Boogie Mark III (about 75 pounds) and have not had any problems with it.

It packs up nice and light and points that amp right at my head. No problems hearing myself with that setup.

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/genesis_amp.html

Chris... :cool:

6. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

+1 for the Ultimate Support Stand. I often like to have the cab resting on the floor, but when I need to use an amp stand, that's the one.

7. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Best "amp stands" for me are Weber Beamblockers --$15-20 ea.

Jeff

8. rooster

rooster Member

I just use one of those Guitar Dumpster stands, I think from "On Stage" or some crap like that, put's the amp about 18" off the ground, and points it right at me, the open back is pointed right at the drummer so he can hear me. With the 18W combo, 1x12, it works perfectly. I mic it with a Shure Beta 56A, and have NO problems on stage with that.

rooster.

9. Reeek

Reeek Member

Overall, I like what stands do for my tone. On small combos especially. I use them a lot. I have two. Carvins in my case but I'm sure there are many decent stands out there.

10. AlexK

AlexK Member

Thanks a lot guys for the reccomendations.

-Alex

11. Reeek

Reeek Member

Let me leave you with a tip though.

Pay attention to the back panels of the amps you want to use the stand with and make sure that the support arms on the stand that you want to buy will support the amp. Often times, the back support arms of the stand, the arms that the back of your amp rests against, do not make contact because of the open back element of the cabinet so you could have your amps "fall" into the back support arms of the stand and damage a tube or speaker or whatever. I've had to rig a horizontal support out of wood so some of my amps have something to rest against in the back.

Good luck!

12. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Here's an interesting looking stand I found on eBay (looks like it collapses pretty flat)...

...but I use one like this (picture compliments of zzouunds.com) which works great but does require paying attention to that important tip from Reeek.

13. ExtraStrength

ExtraStrength Member

When I use a small combo I have had good results with an Ultimate stand. Forget the exact model. Just make sure it folds up neatly and works as one piece to minimize set-up time. Also, as metioned earlier, make sure the stand you choose is compatible with the amp. The back rest against the stand properly and it is not in danger of falling over

14. DanR

DanR Member

I use an old milk crate. I try to keep the label facing away from the audience, though :p

DanR

15. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i usually just put it on a chair ...

16. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

17. Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis Member

The Genesis stands are nice also because of the vertical support behind the amp . . . its threaded for a standard boom or gooseneck. I use these stands on a Goblin, a PJ and a Marshall DSL201, and use 13" goosenecks to mount Senn. E609's to mic each. Simple, easy, stands fold up small into the gigbag -- and the stand has 3 different tilt-up angles.

18. ABKB

ABKB Member

19. 1kidc

1kidc Member

The problem with most of these solutions is the loss of fundamental low end response and perceived volume when you elevate them. The low end vibrations of the cabinet aren't transfered efficently to the floor.This is the case regardless of whether you use a roadcase, a milk crate, a chair, an amp stand etc..

I'm in the process of developing a simple stand that lets any combo amp stay on the floor and tip safely back. If you are interested in trying a prototype that allows you to hear yourself better, control your onstage volume more effectively and (most importantly) improve your tone please send me an email.

20. jetlag

jetlag Member

I use the Gruven stand. Folds flat, fairly sturdy, and very stable. Some of those parallel bar stands allow the amp to slip. I think I got the stand for about 15% less than the manufacturers site from Elderly Instruments.

Gruven Amp Stand