Anyone use an EQ pedal as a boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tjinca1, Feb 7, 2012.

1. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

I've never tried a boost or treble booster, but I have a Boss 7 band EQ laying around and I'm wondering if it would be similar to a boost or treble boost pedal. I would think it could be since you can boost the treble and the volume by tapping it.

Or do the boosts do something different than raising volume and adding treble (or mids or bass or whatever you want with an eq)?

2. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

I use the RC Booster as an EQ/Boost

3. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

i use an eq for a solo boost. have for years. i usually have it in my effects loop or after any dirt pedals. this way i can shape the "solo" tone as needed, and have a nice amount of control over the amount of added volume.

i usually reserve front end boosting duties to my overdrive pedals.

4. Chas

Chas Member

MXR 10 Band works great but has some hiss you have to eq out.

5. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

+1.

I've been doing the same with a Maxon EQ for a few years, but not in the loop. It's right after my dirt pedals.

6. walkers

walkers Member

7. gulliver

gulliver Member

I think a nice mid boost can be better than using an OD pedal in some situations ... less is more.

8. Jammer2393

Jammer2393 Member

I use an mxr ten band for boost

9. nape

nape Member

I used to use a Boss GE-7 as a solo boost. It was literally just a volume boost, great feature if you are looking for that. I could get much more volume without adding much gain. Worked great for me when I needed it.

10. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

never had hiss with mine

11. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

I use my Source Audio Programmable EQ sometimes for that... particularly useful as you can adjust the volume for each of the 4 pre-sets, thus allowing you to guage how much boost there is and to save them.

12. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

I used to use a Dano Fish & Chips as a boost. Worked fine, really.

13. hp29

hp29 Member

:agree

Works great for me as well. I use it as a secondary boost with more gain. My regular boost is just a boost.

14. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

As many have said an EQ can work great as a boost. I used to use a 7 band EQ set with a low mid bump for solos. Currently, I use a Barb EQ in the Marshall setting with a bit of a volume and mid boost to push my amp into crunchier territory, or get more of a British tone out of my Jouster.

Most clean boosts just boost the signal and maybe add a bit of shimmer or fatness. An EQ should be able to sound like some of them, but maybe not all. As far as treble boosts go, they are usually a different beast. Most treble boosters that I'm aware of are closer to mild fuzz with a lot of bass cut, so that when you use them as a boost they boost the treble frequencies more. They are usually not used as much for just a volume boost, but to really push an amp, or another dirt pedal, while adding some dirt of their own and keeping things tight sounding.

15. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I use an MXR EQ as a clean booster often for solos - great pedal & dead quiet.
    But if you got a GE-7 they are not nearly as good imo so don't know how it would perform.
    They are noisy which is one reason I don't like em. Try it and see for yourself

16. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i use a monte allums modded ge7 as a boost. it is very quiet, powerful and works very well for this.
    [​IMG]

17. xntrick

xntrick Member

nice looking pedal, what kind of finish is that?

18. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

A few months ago I was really looking for a midboost to fit my taste and ended up realizing I could only get this with an EQ pedal. Since then I have owned a Boss PQ4, which was great and now I am using a Fromel. I find the Fromel a bit easier to dial in, less extreme though if you need that and it has less volume (considered a unity EQ, but can get a slight boost if you want to).

19. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

Tom Morello also uses an EQ as a lead boost.... i'm amazed at how many sounds that guy can get with so few pedals... Just his JCM800 for dirt, and the EQ for lead boosts

[​IMG]

20. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

This, end of story
    [​IMG]