Anyone use backing tracks\sequencers?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrisjnyc, May 4, 2015.

1. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

For the guys who run backing tracks and or sequencers... how are you doing it?

My old band had some backing tracks with percussion and synths that we ran off Ableton Live\laptop. Later we just played the backing tracks from a WAV file.

2. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Same here for now. Using drums and keys off a laptop. Use 4 beat count in and go.

3. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

P&W player here. We use Ableton Live with a Looptimus controller. Whole band is in-ear with individual mixes via aux-sends for the singers with wireless packs and Avioms for instruments. Loops are broken out into parts so they can be muted/unmuted as needed depending on personnel. In-ears get loop, click, and guide on separate channels for level and panning control. Of course, our "set list" is short and rigid. Not sure how well this would work in other contexts.

4. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

I am looking for a simple setup like this... are the backing tracks on your The Man Named Bones songs made with the Korg\muff?

5. Telecasteur

Telecasteur Member

Roland Aira TR-8 Drum machine > WET Reverb > P.A.

>>>MIDI SYNC>>>

Pigtronix Infinity Looper

Input A: Guitar
    Output A: Amp > Mic > P.A.

Input B: Boss OC-3 effect out (for bass) *Put tuner after OC-3 to mute guitar direct out.
    Output B: Sansamp Bass Driver > P.A.

Start TR-8, loop some guitar, some bass, play the TR-8, guitar lead, TR-8 some more, etc.

This is how you one-man-band in 2015.

:wave

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  6. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Sounds pretty cool... I really like the midi sync for the looper idea. I always have a hard time running a loop for a long time, and have it fall out of sync a few minutes into the song. Got any clips\vids?

7. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

8. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

9. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

I'm going to either start using Ableton for backing tracks / drums. Or get a Octatrack again.

Ableton is the much more sensible solution. But I like the idea of a dedicated drum machine. The most intense drum machine...In The World.

I've made a decent amount of electronic music but have never combined it with guitar. Gotta do it.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

This is one case where the Beat Buddy (assuming you've got a Windows machine) might be the best solution-sequence your drums on the computer, then download to the BB. As to the bass tracks and say keys and so on, you'll need a looper that can save songs, or do it on computer. The problem with the computer is if things go down (which they do) I HATE watching a band fiddle with the computer while nothing happens. Pedals are better that way (or hardware sequencers and loopers).

I did try the Electribe for this, and it would have been cool except that all the drums are modern, "dance" kind of styles, just plain wrong for what I do...

11. D Rock

D Rock Member

A mac will take care of computer crashes. No way would I perform live with a Windows pc

12. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

I agree Ableton is probably the best for something like this, but its a lot of gear to haul around:

laptop + power supply
    interface + cables and or adapters
    foot switch for Ableton

Yea, if the beat buddy could also play the keys and or bass tracks it would be a grand slam. Now you need to find a looper which can midi clock sync to the beat buddy.

I did a ton of gigs on a cheap HP win 7 laptop... Only had one or two problems with it. Windows didn't crash\blue screen, but had to restart Ableton Live.

13. huutevar

huutevar Member

My keyboard band uses Ableton. The clips are separated by song section (intro, chorus, verse, etc.) and we use a Behringer FC1010 to trigger different sections of the songs. That way it feels less like playing with a backing track because we're able to extend and rearrange song parts. Also, all the instruments are separated on their own track and can be muted individually.

14. bozobreak

bozobreak Member

I use the Octatrack for the one man shows that I rarely get the chance to play.
    It can do the drum track, play sample synth bass lines, loop the chords, fx, and much more.
    Check my soundcloud page for a glimpse of how I use this tool.(I'm not a advanced Octatrack user by far...)

15. wesawtheseas

wesawtheseas Member

I write 90% in reason and we play to backing tracks through an iPod into a mixer/preamp it to mains. We have a secondary iPod just I. Case something happens. All the tracks are in 30/45/hour sets so depending on how long we are going to play we just pick it and let it play through. Each song has about 30 seconds of songs we haven't finished yet that just play while we are setting up or whatever. So far it's worked great.

16. wesawtheseas

wesawtheseas Member

Used to cart around a MacBook and two synths but now I'm like nahhhhh. This is quick and light.

17. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

The last show I did I used this for real time sequencing/triggering synths/samples. There's also a Roland JP8000 off to the side that you can't see.

[​IMG]

18. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

P&W guitarist here, too. I use iSingWorship when I am by myself. It's pretty amazing and sounds great. I send the audio to the mixer via BlueTooth and the tablet itself shows me the chords and lyrics. It'll even hide the guitar chords when displaying with a projector, but still show me those things on the actual ipad. http://www.isingworship.org/

datainadequate likes this.
  19. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Sounds like the easiest option... do you have drums going in the backing tracks? Do you use a click?

How do you control all the sequencing/triggering synths/samples? Midi pedal?

20. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

That is nonsense.

Stefenator likes this.