• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anyone use cheat sheets on stage?

dgonz

Other than a set list on the floor, or somewhere close, no notes when I play live whatsoever. That's where your practice and rehearsal should come into play. I feel any cheat sheets on a stage are very unprofessional. Know your music of get off the stage. Just my opinion.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Other than a set list on the floor, or somewhere close, no notes when I play live whatsoever. That's where your practice and rehearsal should come into play. I feel any cheat sheets on a stage are very unprofessional. Know your music of get off the stage. Just my opinion.

Sorry, that doesn't work for me when I have 15+ effect presets to remember.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
On the other hand if you had a music stand someone might gasp and offer you a gig cause you are the rare reading guitarist.

JonR

Sorry, that doesn't work for me when I have 15+ effect presets to remember.
Right. That's why I don't use multi-FX any more. Nobody else really cares about that sort of thing anyway, in my experience. Plus I get a better sound just going straight into my tube amp (digital stuff screws it up). The only effect I use is occasional slapback delay; and I don't need any reminder which songs that goes on ;). I get a lot more compliments on my sound and tone than I used to when going through a load of FX. And I enjoy myself more.

Mind you, I am getting old now... and playing mostly old music... :rolleyes:

JonR

On the other hand if you had a music stand someone might gasp and offer you a gig cause you are the rare reading guitarist.
[Sigh] Never happened to me (in bands when I did read from a stand). And I don't see too any people coming up to our reading bassist and offering him gigs....

(Mind you, he doesn't read notation, just chord charts... And actually he does get more gigs than me... but that's because he's a bassist ;))

thabassmon

I have used a cheat sheet once (song got requested worked it out during the break then performed it) my sax player does it every song, every gig.

Average Joe

Is the Real Book a cheat sheet? ;)

Anyway, In a pop/rock context I've done it when I've subbed on too short notice to actually learn al the songs. I've usually used roman numerals and a key sig.

As for it looking lazy it all depends: I play with a singer who like to have the lyrics in front of him just in case. I've never seen him depend on them but it makes him more comfortable to have them. He is one of the best frontmen I've ever worked with and I doubt anyone in the audience give a hoot about the papers on the floor in front of him while he is rocking out.

Frank Prince

Silver Supporting Member
For stuff that I haven't played a million times, I'll have charts, these days on an iPad.
For songs I've done a lot, I will usually have the band send me a setlist if they can and I'll jot the keys down on it for that particular gig. I've been with a lot of bands and done a lot of fill-ins, so I have done songs like Word Up, Moondance, and Folsom Prison in 3 different keys at minimum.

Aaron Mayo

I have used cheat sheets (bar gig fill-ins) and actual music (theatre, fill-in at a church) onstage. Whatever works to help me do a better job playing guitar.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom