Anyone use Dimarzio "Area T" P/U's in your Tele???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jumblefingers, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I have the Dimarzio Area 61's in my Strat and like them quite a bit. Curious if anyone uses the Area T's in their Tele's and if so what you think?

2. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I don't think the virtual T's are the same as the Area T's...but that's a nice sounding clip!

3. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I use the Virtual Vintage Hot T in my Suhr T. It is a great sounding pickups and dead quiet.

4. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I have the Area T neck and Virtual Hot T bridge in my Tele and that is pretty much my 'go to' guitar most of the time now; close second being my Ibanez Artist with Virtual PAFs. The Virtual Hot T is the fattest Tele pickup I've come across; not quite as twangy (but it CAN twang if you play it right), but it's almost like a Virtual PAF in a Tele bridge format.
    The Area T neck is the BEST-sounding single coil neck pickup I've ever heard. I like it better than my Strat. I haven't heard the Area T bridge, but I wouldn't mind trying that as well for a brighter bridge.

5. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Sorry - brain fart.

6. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I'm definitely dropping some Dimarzio's in my 50's classic tele but I can't decide between the hot T and the Area T in the bridge. I don't want something shrill but I want to at least cop most of the classic tele twang.

I love your review of the Area T neck. I was considering modding my tele for a strat neck pickup (area 58 or 61) becaused the tele neck is such a lame pickup. No definition and way too much bass. What was Leo thinking?

7. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Sorry, I could have been a little more descriptive. It has a bit of the vintage output going on it, but it sounds great. It has a silky treble that doesn't get piercing and I haven't heard any problems with the bass; not muddy or anything. With the maple neck on my Tele, it just sounds like I think my STRAT should sound like, but doesn't. Very responsive and plays the blues nicely; cops a nice EJ clean sound with my SRRI.
    I've always preferred the Tele neck pickup over a Strat neck.

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Actually I think the Virtual T's and Area T's are fairly similar. The Area's are supposed to be Virtual T's with refined dynamics.

I will add that the Virtual T's are incredible pickups, can't be happier. I have no desire to "upgrade" to the Area's.

9. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Nothing wrong with your first post but this does help. Personally I much prefer the strat neck to the stock Tele neck and I don't think I'm alone. The virtual T clip above sounds very nice and stratty on the neck without the tele mud so I think I'll be alright.

10. Andre357

Andre357 Member

It's not the pickup. Your guitar probably has vintage wiring. Get it wired in the modern manner and you'll see quite a difference.

Tele neck pickups are wonderful IMHO with modern wiring....have you heard a twisted tele neck pickup ?? One of the greatest pickups I've ever encountered.

11. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yeah, I'll +1 this. I thought that a 68 Tele I used for some recordings had a bad neck pickup. It was just that it had the old tele style wiring. For some reason, Fender got the weird idea to try and mimic a bass by putting in a tone circuit that accentuated the bass and muffled the tone on the neck pickup. Standard wiring should open this up a lot.

But, I still can't deal with single coil hum. Hence my change to the "noiseless" Virtual T's.

12. Niklas Nilsson

Niklas Nilsson Member

I have the Area T neck in my tele. I really dig it, it really captures what a tele neck pickup is about IMHO. I have the Chopper T in the bridge. It's somewhere in between a hot PAF and a classic tele bridge pickup. It's fatter than a tele pickup, but too twangy for a full size humbucker.

13. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I have a set of the tele T is in my Fender American deluxe ash Tele. Blows away the SCN's that came in the guitar. They are very open sound with that perfect snap you expect from a Tele. I highly recommend them

14. hangten

hangten Member

what is "standard" or "modern" wiring for teles vs. vintage?
    can someone explain to this tele lover?

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

My MIM 50's tele has modern switching. Here's An excerpt from somebody else's explanation of vintage wiring:

The electronics on the '52 tele where somewhat different to that of the earlier version. The normal 3-way pickup selector wasn't introduced until the last 60's which meant that there was no 'both' pickup setting that included a tone control (See next paragraph). This is somewhat significant in that the '52 version has a slightly more 'advanced' pickup selector system than that found previously. The '52 electronics consist of two single coil pickups, a volume control and a tone control. The tone control worked when the selector was in the rear and front settings and not in the middle setting. Fender calls this the 'Vintage Circuit' in that the 3-way pickup selector does select between the pickups but there is no setting where both pickups are on simultaneously. The pickup selector when in the rear (bridge) position turns on the bridge pickup with the tone control working normally. In the Middle position the front (neck) pickup is turned on with the tone control working as you would expect. Now when the pickup selector is placed to the bridge pickup setting the front (neck) pickup is turned on and has a more dark sound. The tone control does nothing. Pickup Switching 3-Position Blade:
    • Back Position - Bridge Pickup with Normal Tone Control
    • Middle Position - Neck Pickup with Normal Tone Control
    • Front Position - Neck Pickup with No Tone Control (Dark Vintage Circuit) [edit: this just has a big ass capacitor attached to it to bleed the treble off]

16. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Thank you all for the info and replies. I am about to buy a blond Highway 1 Texas Tele and likely put the Area T bridge and neck in there....unless I decide to go even simpler and turn it into an Esquire with a black Nocaster pickguard. Something about a one pickup guitar (Les Paul Jr anyone) and having on the 5 screws in the pickguard that kind of says "vintage rock machine" to me. Simple, simple, simple...:)

17. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I have a G&L Classic 3 and replaced all the stock p/ups w Dimarzio Virtual Teles (neck and hot bridge) and Area 58 in the middle. I love the neck and middle, and am about to put a Area tele bridge p/u in this week. You can`t go wrong for the $.

18. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

I just bought a Highway 1 Texas Tele about six months ago and it is absolutely outstanding. I even like the pickups, although I know you want to go noiseless. This is the first time I've ever kept a guitar completely stock. The wiring is old school in the sense that there is no RWRP pickup, so there is no hum-canceling in the mid position. I was put off by that at first, but there is so little 60 cycle hum overall that I haven't felt compelled to switch the pups out. The neck pickup is juicy, fat, and plenty bright, and the bridge kills.