Anyone use Dimarzio locking straps?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by squeally dan, Mar 18, 2008.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I was thinking of trying these instead of the Dunlops I've used in the past. I want to put something on my new ES-333. It has the top strap button on the back of the guitar. Anyway, THe dimarzio strap looks like a good alternative, but I'm wondering if the plastic strap clips will scratch the guitar's finish while in a case. Seems like they would be pressing against the guitar.

2. rrhea

rrhea Member

I have two guitars with them, and I only have them on there for "period correct" looks, as they are both Ibanez RGs. I actually despise these straps and would never put them on any other guitar.

The plastic buckles do come in contact with the guitar and the material the strap is made of is very slippery, so the guitar never stays put on your shoulder.

A good quality, regular strap with a set of Schaller or Dunlop strap locks is the way to go. ;)

RR

3. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Looked at some old threads, and I think I'm going to try some of the red washers off the Grolsh beer bottles. Have some laying around from when I used to make beer more often.

4. phantasm

phantasm Member

I've used these things for years on my SG. Never really noticed any scratches, but that's because the guitar was already a bit weathered.The only noticeable scratch type thing was a round dullness where it screws into the body from the strap moving back and forth. most cases have a bit of wiggle room, so the plastic buckle usually gets nestled in the open area and doesn't press against the guitar.
    I like this system alot, but the little tab you're left with when the strap is off can sometimes get in the way depending on what type of guitar it's on. Worked well with an SG, but it would be annoying with a strat style guitar.

5. rrhea

rrhea Member

I have a Gibby 339 and I installed Schallers on it, and that guitar also has the srap button on the back at the neck join. Works great.

I'd rather use something I know is secure, especially with the fragile Gibson headstock design. You can just look at a Gibson headstock too hard and it'll break, let alone have it fall to the floor. :)

RR

6. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Thanks. I may try those if the Grolsh washers aren't strong enough

7. dosmun

dosmun Member

I used to have one of the Dimarzio Locking straps on my LP and it wore the finish off on the back corner right down to the bare wood.:FM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. randy alameda

randy alameda Member

Albuquerque, New Mexico (yes its in the USA)
    Bought some DiMarzio strap locks for my Explorer ... THEY SUCK! .. Its a funny angle at the neck, but that is no excuse for failing to stay connected to the guitar. 'Almost' lost that guitar to those P O S , Would NEVER recomend those!!!!!!!!!

:BluesBros

9. PRSkeeto

PRSkeeto Member

Well, contrary to the opinions expressed here, I love my DiMarzio cliplocks. I've used them on all my solidbodies exclusively for 15+ years. They've never marred the finish on any of my guitars either. I used one on a Gibson SG I had that had the softest finish of all time and it never caused any wear, let alone like the LP above.

I don't understand how they could fail to stay connected to the guitar. I've never had a clip break, let alone the screw come out. I can't say the same for Schaller or Dunlop straplocks, I had failures with both. That prompted my switch to the DiMarzio's. Never looked back.

10. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Schaller are my favorites.

11. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I used the Clip Locks from DiMarzio throughout the 80's and early 90's. Never had a problem with any of them - I still have them, but don't/won't use them; they look "80's". These days I prefer a more 'vintage-esque' look and vibe.

12. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

this is funny. i had one of these on my ibanez in the 80's. never had a problem, and still have the strap. i just don't use it. mine is seat belt like material and for about the last dozen yrs or so i use the wide leather levy's straps (about $40) and dunlop straplocks. the wide padded strap is so comfortable and never had the locks fail. for me, especially with a LP these thin nylon straps eat my shoulder up during a night's performance. my levy's are about 3" wide, but i have one that is supposedly for bass but is 4"+ wide and that think is awesome.