Anyone use fender custom shop cables?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dazco, Mar 16, 2015.

1. dazco

dazco Member

Hows the sound and durability, tangle factor, etc?

2. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Don't know about the current offerings, but during the 00's I was repping Whirlwind when Fender came out with their Leader knockoff. They looked impressive, that is until I saw someone drop a guitar with one of those plugged into it. It shattered into plastic shards.

3. dazco

dazco Member

Huh? What plastic? The ends are heat shrunk metal ends? What are u talking about?

4. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Yes.

5. dazco

dazco Member

LOL! Actually the question mark at the end of that sentence was a typo. I meant that sentence to be a statement, not a question. Sorry bout that.

On a side note, i'm now thinking of going with Mogami 2524 cable instead. Lots of reviews stating very clear sound and that would be a great benefit to the tangle free feature, which is also mentioned in the reviews and another detail i'm looking for.

6. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I bought one recently... hate it. Junk. It doesn't lay well, too stiff and retains the coiled shape when you uncoil it.

7. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Metal outsides, plastic insides. It was not tough.

8. dazco

dazco Member

Ok, sounds like ii should look elsewhere. as to the ends breaking tho, i can clearly see the angle plug in a large res pic of one is the exact same switchcraft i have used at work for years and i have never seen them break like that and theres no plastic to break into shards. maybe the one you are thinking of was not the custom shop or maybe they made them with different plugs. But in many years of working with those plugs i have never seen anything like that. They can go bad, but not commonly and theres no plastic to break up as you describe.

9. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

I have a few of the Fender brand cables that haven't given me a problem. One of them is really stiff but the other two are great.

10. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Hopefully they will come out with a Masterbuilt series pretty soon and charge twice as much as the lower end Custom Shop stuff.

:roll

11. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Doesn't Yngwie have his own line of Fender cables? I doubt he'd put up with poor reliability. I wonder how his stuff holds up.

12. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I've used one of their premium gold cables for about 5 years with no issues. It is a very heavy duty cable.

13. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

He was apparently talking about "Leader knockoffs," not the Custom Shop cables.

Fender makes several kinds of cables. The "vintage voltage" ones I had years ago were junk, but the CS seems fine (though mine may be going bad). That could be a jack that my other cables fit better, or just routine wear, though.

14. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

there is only one spec relative to a cable that's important, that the capacitance, usually shown as pico farads (pf) per foot, or meter.... the lower that number, the more high frequencies make it to the amp. This is extremely subtle, and may not be an issue if your ears are the last survivors of that stack of Marshals ya been standing in front of since ya bought that Frampton, Comes alive album in the 70's...

Now some will have better quality plug ends, say, Switchcraft, Canare, or Neutrik.. and that does mean a higher degree of reliability, but the plug-ends contribute nothing to the quality of sound.

Some pursue Gold, under the impression it means superior conductivity.... that's incorrect, Gold, real gold, rarely seen on Gold (colored) plugs, is actually number 3 on the list of conductive metals, with Silver being #1, and copper #2, Real gold's advantage is in it's resistance to corrosion, but unless ya leave it stuck in the hole 24/7 that's not an issue.

To check the quality of the plug end, take the ΒΌ" shaft and gently squeeze it .. if you feel it compressing... run away... it's typical made in lord knows where junk, and can be bought in bulk literally for a few cents each.

Ron Kirn

15. Fockwulf

Fockwulf Member

I've been using 3 9 foot long version of those to connect my pedal board in the effects loop in & out and input of my amp for about 3 years now.

they tend make nodes if twisted, as they are quite stiff, but if you wind them the way any audio cable must be handled, no issue.

connectors are metal and the tube shrink securing it have yet to show any sign of wear despite not polite handling. the core cable seems pretty resistant, as it is stored in the same bag as the pedal board (PT2). it has therefore seen quite a lot of mechanical constraint.

as for sound, i did not notice a huge difference with and without the pedal board. it is probably due to the fact the signal path is buffered.

probably not the best cables one can get, but they get the job done...

16. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

I've been using one the last few months and have no complaints.

17. SPSurgeon

SPSurgeon Member

I have 3, 2x 6 footers and a 12 that came with my Tele. To my tele-tuned ears there is a very audible tone difference. More highs and lows as compared to a garden-variety Fender cable that i was using. The tone difference (just) makes up for their tendency to twist and kink and never lie flat. The ends are good quality, i've had them apart to repair breaks - i use these a lot.

Worth the $ IMO

18. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

Check out Divine Noise cables. I have one of their speaker cables that I received for a Xmas gift and it's the best I've come across, expensive but worth it. Eventually I'll replace the rest of my cables with these.

19. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

My Bad.. just looked at the very fancy box and this one is a Fender Premium Gold cable. 99.9% pure ofc copper blah, blah, blah...

20. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I thought the Fenders sounded average. I currently use only Evidence cables.