Anyone use / gig with a Mesa Transatlantic TA15? Have one on the way...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by magilla, Apr 24, 2019.

1. magilla

magilla Chasing those soulful sounds. Gold Supporting Member

How have you used it? What kind of music? What modes? What guitar / cab? Got rig pics? What do you love about it, what don't you love about it?

I like the versatility but what I'm really hoping the amp delivers (in addition to the chimey cleans and edge of breakup tones I'll surely dig) is ...

... the low gain to medium gain overdriven tones in the HI 1 (Marshall-y) setting with my DGT a la Cream-era Clapton and Allmans. Anyone use the amp for that? Not Mesa liquid lead or chugga-chugga or shred scream or JCM 800, but good 'ole Plexi-ish.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. De Batz

De Batz Member

I had one at home for a while. It's got some good sounds in it, but I sold it when I bought a Cornford (not as a like-for-like replacement, I just couldn't afford to keep it).

It certainly sounds bigger than it looks. I thought it had some good lower gain sounds, but (as with a lot of Mesas) when I tried running the higher gain sounds quiet enough for in the house, it all sounded a bit square and unflattering. I can imagine those same settings with a bit more volume would come into focus. They certainly do on my Heartbreaker, which sounds godawful at home volumes and needs to be at about 1/3 on the masters before it really gets going.

I would also caution you that mine had an unusually loud hiss in the green channel on the lowest gain settings, which I though was a bit odd. Only happened in 15W and 25W modes but was not cured by valve jiggering as might be expected. Not an issue at gig volume, might be a pain when recording... Again, in the house with no other instruments going, very much noticeable.

magilla likes this.
  3. AVWIII

AVWIII Member

I had one. Phenomenal little amp. The vox sound was nearly flawless and the Marshall sound covered any higher gain stuff I needed. I'm very impressed with how much each channel sounded so much like the amp it was emulating.
    One of the best amps I've ever owned. Played it through a Weber blue dog (trying to get as voxy as possible).

Sold it for lack of reverb and effects loop. I hope someday to pick up a 30w combo.

Coli, David MacNeill, Waxhead and 2 others like this.
  4. StevieShiner

StevieShiner Member

I have one. Rock music. Main modes for me are Top Boost, Tweed, and H1 but all modes sound great. This little amp cooks and it's loud. The Class "A" gives such a satisfying crunch and feels great. I have used it with a Strat, a Les Paul, and a Carvin DC400. Usually use a 1x12 cab with a V30, also with a Marshall 1936 with a Greenback and a V30.

I have gigged with it a few times but what I don't love about it is the lack of headroom and the lack of an effects loop. Not having an effects loop makes it hard to use live for me. If you can get by without the loop, it is a GREAT small rig and a very high quality piece of gear. Even though it is not getting used out much, my wife won't let me sell it because it's so cute. Who am I to argue?

Steve

Coli, gearscrubs, djw and 2 others like this.
  5. magilla

Thanks for the responses, all very insightful and helping me maintain my excitement as I await arrival.

6. Neff

Neff Member

Great amp, I’ve had mine since 2011 and use it out all the time. Run mine on the vox side mostly with some pedals in front. Chimey edge of breakup is what this amp does perfectly. I always have a mic in front, if you need it to be very loud and pristine clean you might have an issue.

The fender sound is “fendery” and not my cup of tea. But h1 is awesome so I leave that side there most of the time, when I’m not using the vox side.

magilla likes this.
  7. Alton

Alton Member

TA15 IS the right choice. Do not expect high gain performance. Clean to scream in a Vox - to - Mesa/Marshall spectrum. Sounds GREAT into 1x12/2x12 cabs with your favorite speakers. BIG fun with pedals. As long as your band isn't over-running the PA and ALL rocket engines have been removed from the drummer's elbows your TA15 will keep up with the band and make for some groovy gig experiences. The footswitch allows 2 channels which = 2 voices...chose wisely and remember that guitars' volume/tone knobs can do cool stuff for your tonez.

The only downside for some folks is that there is no FX loop. Totally old school here. This means you'll need/want to futz with your pedals some to get what you want from them through this amp.

A TA15 can be like a "gateway drug" and it's quite possible that you will soon develop a case of severe GAS for a TA30 or Recto or some flavor of a Mesa Mark series amp. Just go with the flow...it really is best for your well being.

David MacNeill and magilla like this.
  8. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Chnl 1 - TB setting. Chnl 2 - Tweed.

VERY pedalboard friendly. Great coverband amp. Get a 2x12 and have some fun. :aok

F12, djw, LordByron and 1 other person like this.
  9. RodR

RodR Member

Have one. I pair it with a 1x12 partial open back, oversized cab, loaded with a Celestion Alnico Cream. I don't do modern high gain/metal, so I enjoy pretty much any tone in the little box. Really an amazing amp.

LordByron and magilla like this.
  10. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

You will love it. The TA 15 and 30 are the most versatile, great sounding with all modes/settings amps out there maybe outside of the 3P Kitchen Sink. Great amp, amazing value, enjoy!

David MacNeill and magilla like this.
  11. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I've had a TA15 for about a decade and recently added a TA30.

They're my main gigging amps, I use Tweed and TB both set clean as a pedal platform, TB as the solo channel, Tweed to stay out of the way of the vocals.

Current band covers 50s to 10s, these amps do an outstanding job.

David MacNeill, LordByron and magilla like this.
  12. magilla

These are precisely the responses I was hoping for. I know the clean sounds will do the trick, I'm really pleased to hear the H1 delivers on the Marshall-ish promise.

I have a Dr. Z 1x12 with a Celestion Creamback, but I'm really jonesing for a Celestion Alnico Cream - that speaker sounds amazing, so this is perfect insight. I'm also jonesing for a 2x12 with 2 Creams, but that's one expensive cab. :)

LordByron and RodR like this.
  13. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic Gold Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I've been using the Mesa 27" wide open back 1X12 cab they had for the Lone Star Classic head with my TA15 since I got it (bought them at same time); stock speaker, and its a great combination. I re-wired my Matchless ED2X12 cab to 8 ohms and that head loves, loves, loves that cab. I've used the 2X12 for outdoor gigs when i needed to move a little more air. I recently got a Quilter Neo Celestion powered BlockDock, that even sounds very good with the TA15 and it's only 19lbs... Options are a good thing.

djw and magilla like this.
  14. RodR

RodR Member

I hear you. The Alnico Cream is truly an amazing speaker, even by itself in a 1x12, wonderful cleans and great overdriven tones. I got really luck to get that speaker brand new for a real bargain.

I wanted to put together a 2x12 with a G12H30 Anniv + Alnico Gold, but couldn't find a Gold that I liked the price so far. So I'll have to settle with a Dr. Z Best 2x12 with a G12H30 Anniv + V30 that is incoming! Got that one for a really good price too, can't wait to try it with my TA-15!

magilla likes this.
  15. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I had one for a while, then sold it to go digital. After about 4 years, I'm back to the TA-15 and dumbfounded by my decision to sell it the first time. It really is a great amp.

I'm currently running the green channel, TB setting for distortion - it's right on the edge of breakup, then hit it with a Rat for leads. The red channel is set to Tweed for cleans.

I went through a couple weeks of shopping/option anxiety for a cab and finally threw up my arms and picked up a Mesa 1x12 semi-open back. I figured I would change out the speaker if I didn't like the C90. So far, no desire to do so.

My band (which normally mercilessly mocks my GAS symptoms, deservedly so) even commented that they really like how it sounds.

Cliffhydro and magilla like this.
  16. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

Chnl 1 - Top Boost. Chnl 2 - Tweed
    small cab (sort of copy of the Forte 3D cab) loaded with one EVM12L.
    At first I thought there was not enough headroom (cab not mic'ed), I was using the Vox normal channel at 70% volume and it got pretty hissy. After that I've been using the Tweed channel maxed for cleans and I sometimes switch on top boost. Fantastic amp that I will never sell as there's so much versatility in a so small and light package.

17. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

If you don't need reverb or a loop, you're going to love it.
    Awesome little beast!

18. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I'm cheap, but I knew exactly what I wanted.

I lurked Kijiji until I picked up a Boogie V30 open back and a C90 Thiele, paid a total $400 combined in separate deals.

I loved the 80s Boogie half back 412s, so I made a modular version. Worked out great.

19. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

Opinions will vary, but i think the tweed setting with the gain cranked is much more marshally than the H1 except for the higher gain buzzy DSL tones. Both are great, but try the tweed with the gain up and master to taste/volume.

magilla likes this.