Anyone use "GLS Audio" 1/4" connectors?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tonecap, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

2. 88mm

88mm Member

I have used them. Great basic plug. No problems yet and have used them for about three years.

3. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I haven't used those, but I just did a board with the right angle pancake style GLS jacks.

[​IMG]

I have a couple of the Switchcraft that they're modeled after, and I have to say I like the GLS better. I was always worried about the little screws on the Switchcrafts not holding the plug together, not worried at all with the GLS.

4. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

5. TNO

TNO Member

Can't comment on the connectors but don't believe the internet hype on their cables-they are muddy-sounding compared to any decent cable.

6. vicenzajay

vicenzajay Member

Not my experience at all....and I have Evidence Audio, Lava, and Planet Waves cables to compare with them as well. I find the GLS cables to be exceptional values and very well put together. They pass signal faithfully, have excellent ends/strain relief, and aesthetically they look very nice.

To the OP - you can be very confident using GLS connectors...good stuff for very reasonable prices.

Jay

7. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

hmmm well they look well made to me. I'm not really sure though what to look for in identifying crappy connectors.

8. dmczern

dmczern Member

I'm bumping this for more opinions. I need about 22 right angle connectors, most of my board is George L but I can't spend a lot right now. Has anyone tried using these connectors with the smaller (.155) diameter.

Thanks

9. dmczern

dmczern Member

:bumpbump

10. dmczern

dmczern Member

11. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Don't know if this is what you're looking for...but I've go about 40 of those GLS pancake plugs wired with Canare GS6 cables on my board. The plugs themselves are great. Solid construction and they actually have lugs for both the lead and ground so you don't need to solder against the wall of the plug. In short, they're excellent plugs and I haven't had any issues with them.

12. juujuuj

juujuuj Member

do you know if they are Nickel Plated as the switchcraft?

13. landru64

landru64 Member

there is no way to know if they're 'crappy' because one has to define crappy. i have dozens of them and have run my pedalboards with them for years and have not had any kind of problem of 'crappiness.' the lugs mentioned above makes soldering easy.

i am completely open to the hypothesis that a 'better made' plug would sound better because i have heard this difference between a switchcraft jumbo and a G&H plug (switchcraft sounded like crap in comparison). but i am too cheap and too lazy to make the comparison.

best of luck. i can certainly recommend them.

14. Sikor

Sikor Member

:agree GLS pancakes are great plugs!
    Sturdy and nice to work with :aok
    Value for money is quite inceredible if ordered in packs.

15. dmczern

dmczern Member

hey thanks for chiming in!! what kind of cable did you use??

Thanks,

Dave

16. dmczern

dmczern Member

17. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

The only benefit that pancake style plugs have over these is the space saving quality. Plugs are plugs (Granted you want quality construction so you don't get things like the spinning barrel of death). If you don't need to be space efficient, those plugs are just fine. I would suggest the pancake style plugs just because there's a chance you may add more pedals and when space efficiency does become a factor, you won't have to worry about how much space your patches are taking up. But even if you don't expand, the regular right angle plugs will work just as well as pancake style plugs.

18. Shane77E

Shane77E Member

Bump - Can anyone else comment on the quality (physical/audio) of the GLS Audio pancake connectors vs the Switchcraft 228s?

The GLS Audio are at least half the price of the Switchcraft. I just want to make sure the GLS Audios are not the "cheap/unreliable" knock-offs I keep hearing about.

19. kev324

kev324 Supporting Member

Still going strong on my board after a year and a half, including many rearrangements. I use them with the smaller Canare cable and I've had one or two loose connections from the smaller diameter. No spinning barrels of death.

20. ivan1892

ivan1892 Member

Just ordered some two days ago. Will comment on quality as soon as i receive them!!!