• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Anyone use JamKazam? I could use some troubleshooting

TheRockDoc

So the short of it is nothing able to pass the tests- latency is OK but it cannot get to the last step of passing the network.
Equipment is:
iMac, focusrite 2i4, (Cox) cable modem, and the suspected problem- a Belkin N150 router.

So at this last step it stops at 34.4% and ultimately get "Computer has timed out, please contact support"... except there is no support person I know of- all web based. It does not specifically say the router is not supported- just that it keeps clamming up and timing out. the video, says it should take only a short period of time, and the friend that I am supposed to be playing with has had no problem- doesn't understand why I do :)

So I go back to my router settings, and found it is not an "Apple supported" piece of equipment. In the mean time, I got the Mac because I was having so many latency issues with my PC... :peenut

so here is what I came up with from tech support- any pertinent insights or thoughts please feel free. I have already checked and there are no firewalls active and I have gone through as much of this as I can myself.
Thanks! TRD

What To Do If You Cannot Pass the Network Test
Last Updated: Oct 05, 2014 03:00PM CDT
Overview

If you are unable to progress past the Network Test, or you see this error: “We're sorry, but your router will not support JamKazam in its current configuration” this is an indication that there is something unusual on your network that is keeping you from connecting with other JamKazam musicians.

We have put a lot of work into making JamKazam very smart at setting up solid, low-latency network connections. For most users on normal home networks, JamKazam “just works” with their router and Internet service with no work required. However, something on your network is atypical, and unfortunately it will require some additional effort and patience to overcome this obstacle.

Here are the general steps we recommend. Scroll down for detailed instructions.
​
If you have any software firewalls, make sure they are not restricting the JamKazam application
Enable uPnP on your router
Enable NAT-PMP on your router (if supported by your router)
Check your router's built-in security settings
Ensure you are plugged into a network cable, and are not using wireless internet

After making any of these changes, be sure that you fully quit and restart the JamKazam application.

Checking firewall software:
You may be running a software firewall, whether built-in to your operating system (i.e., Windows Firewall), or as an external application (i.e., McAfee, Norton, ZoneAlarm). To ensure these types of firewalls do not aggressively limit the JamKazam application, we recommend you add an exception to your firewall software for JamKazam. Some common instructions are linked below.
Windows Firewall: [http://windows.microsoft.com]
McAfee: [http://service.mcafee.com]
Norton: [https://support.norton.com]
Comodo: [http://help.comodo.com]

Checking your router settings:
Before we begin, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with your router's admin interface, either by searching out your router's model number online, or by reading the manual which came with your router.

Typically, there will be an address you can type into your internet browser (generally, 192.168.1.1) that allows you to log in and update router settings. The default password will be found in your router's documentation.

Finally – due to the enormous number of router vendors and model numbers out there, the easiest way to find instructions on making any of these changes to your router may simply be to search the web:

“how do I <action> on a <router model> ?”

Enable uPnP
Access your router configuration and make sure uPnP is enabled. This will allow the JamKazam application to automatically open whatever ports are needed to stream with other musicians.

Enable NAT-PMP
If you have a supported router (Apple Airport, particularly), the first step you should take is to access your router configuration tool, and enable NAT-PMP. For instructions, please see this article provided by Apple or search your router's manual to determine if NAT-PMP is included.

Check router security and firewall settings
Navigate through your router's admin tool and try to determine if your router has security settings. Many manufacturers (particularly routers provided by your ISP) will include built-in firewall settings to block entire port ranges. If there is a security setting on your router, try setting it one notch lower and see if the problem is resolved.

Disable QoS
If your router has a QoS feature, we recommend that it be disabled entirely, since it can play with your network traffic. This by itself won't necessarily cause you to fail the Network Test, but it can add jitter, and end up lowering the quality of your JamKazam sessions. Since you're in the router, go ahead and make sure it's off. Unless you have assigned your JamKazam computer “highest priority”, it won't do you any favors.

Finally, after making any of these changes, be sure that you fully quit and restart the JamKazam application, then retry the Network Test by clicking "Network Test" in the drop-down menu at the top-right corner of your client window.

If none of the above suggestions have resolved the issue, there is one more thing you can do. It is more complicated, but worth trying.

&#8203;
Setting up Port Forwarding:
By default, JamKazam uses 2 dynamically chosen ports. You can pin down these two ports down in JamKazam to be the same every time, which is important because then you can then configure your router to allow traffic in on these two ports. This requires you to set your router's Port Forwarding settings, a process which will be documented in the manual which came with your router.

These instructions will assume port numbers 12000 and 12001 as an example; feel free to use these ports because it is extremely unlikely you have any other applications configured to use the same ports on your router.

First, configure the JamKazam application to use port forwarding:

Close JamKazam, by right-clicking the JamKazam systray icon, and selecting ‘Quit’.
If prompted to leave the app running, confirm that you want to quit the app entirely.

Important: JamKazam must be totally shut down before going to the next step.

Find JamKazam's Client.ini file:
On Windows: C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\JamKazam\Client.ini
On Mac: /Users/<user>/.config/JamKazam/Client.ini

Open this Client.ini in a text editor.
In Client.ini, find the section “[net]”
In that section, add these two lines to the Client.ini file immediately underneath “[net]”:
udpport=12000
use_static_udpport=true

Save and close Client.ini.

Next, set up port forwarding on your router:

Find your router's Port Forwarding settings, and configure them to allow UDP traffic in to ports 12000 and 12001 to the IP address of the computer running JamKazam. This process varies from router to router so you may need to consult your router documentation.

If you continue to experience problems after making these recommended changes, please don't hesitate to reach out to our Support team so that we can help get you going.

Best regards,
Team JamKazam

wpawley

I had the same problem for a bit. I'm running a PC, not Mac, but what cured it for me is I closed out all my other windows and just selected JamKazam and loaded it. Set up my i/o and tested it. Worked fine. So, I went back and tried running Chrome, brought up Face Book, then tried running Jamkazam. Nope, failed the test. So anytime I want to get on Jamkazam, I have to close out everything else to allow Jamkazam all my resources. Oh, it will not work over WiFi for sure. Hope this may be of help.

TheRockDoc

Thank you wpawley.

after reviewing it again and again, I was able to get back into my router settings, tested every part of it again. as soon as I turned off QoS it worked beautifully in testing and setup for 8 people.

I am loving this program and idea!

richb201

Thank you wpawley.

after reviewing it again and again, I was able to get back into my router settings, tested every part of it again. as soon as I turned off QoS it worked beautifully in testing and setup for 8 people.

RockDoc, I have been trying to get this thing going for about 6 weeks and am at my wits end:drown. I have a Berhinger Um2. My issue is with listening. I cannot hear anyone clearly (I hear clicking and wah wah). I am on Optimum Online cable modem and have 15Mb down and 5Mb up. I am running Win7 on a i5 quad core Dell. I am not using the asio driver because I was told that it doesn't work. Any pointers you can give me might save my sanity!

Hugh_s

Silver Supporting Member
I’m stuck at the problem of too much internet latency and jitter. 11ms at ths systems at people’s studios, but the system reports all this extra internet latency, sometimes hitting 300ms or so.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
The best place to go for support is probably JamKazam. If they have a helpline, or if you can IM or chat with someone with the company, they might be able to help you. That was how I got on eJamming a decade ago.

Programs like that require very powerful and resource-intensive protocols to run on the servers that most networks either reserve or shut down by default because they are the same tools hackers and other powerful apps use to do clever things online (like stream live video) - that is why you have to shut everything else off.

Vcaster

Thank you wpawley.

QoS = Quality of Service

Here’s what Tom’s Guide says about (Netgear) routers and QoS:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/netgear-router-disable-qos,news-27675.html

I’ve been looking into JamKazam, JamR, NinJam, and other such “real time,” “low latency” online music collaboration tools. For my circumstances, JamKazam appears to be the best of the lot currently. Going to be giving it a go soon.

Sounds like JamKazam’s servers are getting hammered by all the newfound interest vis a vis the worldwide pandemic and sidelined musicians.
https://forum.jamkazam.com/announcements.php?aid=1

JamKazam Help Topics, Start-Up Guides and Documentation
https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=69

JamKazam Forums
https://forum.jamkazam.com/index.php

From the sound of things, I’m probably going to be referring to all these links soon myself ... :cool:

Sertac Celik

So the short of it is nothing able to pass the tests- latency is OK but it cannot get to the last step of passing the network.
Equipment is:
iMac, focusrite 2i4, (Cox) cable modem, and the suspected problem- a Belkin N150 router.

So at this last step it stops at 34.4% and ultimately get "Computer has timed out, please contact support"... except there is no support person I know of- all web based. It does not specifically say the router is not supported- just that it keeps clamming up and timing out. the video, says it should take only a short period of time, and the friend that I am supposed to be playing with has had no problem- doesn't understand why I do :)

So I go back to my router settings, and found it is not an "Apple supported" piece of equipment. In the mean time, I got the Mac because I was having so many latency issues with my PC... :peenut

so here is what I came up with from tech support- any pertinent insights or thoughts please feel free. I have already checked and there are no firewalls active and I have gone through as much of this as I can myself.
Thanks! TRD

What To Do If You Cannot Pass the Network Test
Last Updated: Oct 05, 2014 03:00PM CDT
Overview

If you are unable to progress past the Network Test, or you see this error: “We're sorry, but your router will not support JamKazam in its current configuration” this is an indication that there is something unusual on your network that is keeping you from connecting with other JamKazam musicians.

We have put a lot of work into making JamKazam very smart at setting up solid, low-latency network connections. For most users on normal home networks, JamKazam “just works” with their router and Internet service with no work required. However, something on your network is atypical, and unfortunately it will require some additional effort and patience to overcome this obstacle.

Here are the general steps we recommend. Scroll down for detailed instructions.
&#8203;
If you have any software firewalls, make sure they are not restricting the JamKazam application
Enable uPnP on your router
Enable NAT-PMP on your router (if supported by your router)
Check your router's built-in security settings
Ensure you are plugged into a network cable, and are not using wireless internet

After making any of these changes, be sure that you fully quit and restart the JamKazam application.

Checking firewall software:
You may be running a software firewall, whether built-in to your operating system (i.e., Windows Firewall), or as an external application (i.e., McAfee, Norton, ZoneAlarm). To ensure these types of firewalls do not aggressively limit the JamKazam application, we recommend you add an exception to your firewall software for JamKazam. Some common instructions are linked below.
Windows Firewall: [http://windows.microsoft.com]
McAfee: [http://service.mcafee.com]
Norton: [https://support.norton.com]
Comodo: [http://help.comodo.com]

Checking your router settings:
Before we begin, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with your router's admin interface, either by searching out your router's model number online, or by reading the manual which came with your router.

Typically, there will be an address you can type into your internet browser (generally, 192.168.1.1) that allows you to log in and update router settings. The default password will be found in your router's documentation.

Finally – due to the enormous number of router vendors and model numbers out there, the easiest way to find instructions on making any of these changes to your router may simply be to search the web:

“how do I <action> on a <router model> ?”

Enable uPnP
Access your router configuration and make sure uPnP is enabled. This will allow the JamKazam application to automatically open whatever ports are needed to stream with other musicians.

Enable NAT-PMP
If you have a supported router (Apple Airport, particularly), the first step you should take is to access your router configuration tool, and enable NAT-PMP. For instructions, please see this article provided by Apple or search your router's manual to determine if NAT-PMP is included.

Check router security and firewall settings
Navigate through your router's admin tool and try to determine if your router has security settings. Many manufacturers (particularly routers provided by your ISP) will include built-in firewall settings to block entire port ranges. If there is a security setting on your router, try setting it one notch lower and see if the problem is resolved.

Disable QoS
If your router has a QoS feature, we recommend that it be disabled entirely, since it can play with your network traffic. This by itself won't necessarily cause you to fail the Network Test, but it can add jitter, and end up lowering the quality of your JamKazam sessions. Since you're in the router, go ahead and make sure it's off. Unless you have assigned your JamKazam computer “highest priority”, it won't do you any favors.

Finally, after making any of these changes, be sure that you fully quit and restart the JamKazam application, then retry the Network Test by clicking "Network Test" in the drop-down menu at the top-right corner of your client window.

If none of the above suggestions have resolved the issue, there is one more thing you can do. It is more complicated, but worth trying.

&#8203;
Setting up Port Forwarding:
By default, JamKazam uses 2 dynamically chosen ports. You can pin down these two ports down in JamKazam to be the same every time, which is important because then you can then configure your router to allow traffic in on these two ports. This requires you to set your router's Port Forwarding settings, a process which will be documented in the manual which came with your router.

These instructions will assume port numbers 12000 and 12001 as an example; feel free to use these ports because it is extremely unlikely you have any other applications configured to use the same ports on your router.

First, configure the JamKazam application to use port forwarding:

Close JamKazam, by right-clicking the JamKazam systray icon, and selecting ‘Quit’.
If prompted to leave the app running, confirm that you want to quit the app entirely.

Important: JamKazam must be totally shut down before going to the next step.

Find JamKazam's Client.ini file:
On Windows: C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\JamKazam\Client.ini
On Mac: /Users/<user>/.config/JamKazam/Client.ini

Open this Client.ini in a text editor.
In Client.ini, find the section “[net]”
In that section, add these two lines to the Client.ini file immediately underneath “[net]”:
udpport=12000
use_static_udpport=true

Save and close Client.ini.

Next, set up port forwarding on your router:

Find your router's Port Forwarding settings, and configure them to allow UDP traffic in to ports 12000 and 12001 to the IP address of the computer running JamKazam. This process varies from router to router so you may need to consult your router documentation.

If you continue to experience problems after making these recommended changes, please don't hesitate to reach out to our Support team so that we can help get you going.

Best regards,
Team JamKazam

Sertac Celik

Hello jamkazam;

We somehow learned about jamkazam online practicing opportunity and got very enthusiastic for we were hardly finding free time to go out and get in a studio.

3 of 5 guys in the band including me tried the software. 2 of them bought audio interfaces, i did not. Anyways we logged in, all wired, low latency, audio gear OK.. but guys had "no audio" problem in the session. I had no problem in session or jamming with strangers while having no interface, no port forwarding, no change in security (both in windows and router).

For the guys we tried everything...

- IPv protocol change
- Port forwarding (port 12.000, ports 12.000 to 12.010, even changed to 22.000 and tried that)
- Port triggering
- Disabling all security options (both in router and windows)
- Enabling media flow
- Disabling all url filters on router
- Enabling UPnP
- Disabling DMZ on router
- Lowering media share to 40-50 bits and disabling sharing files with password

We did all together or with combinations...But did not help to my friends...So what are we doing WRONG?

Anybody can help????

Last edited:

Vcaster

Hey @Sertac Celik, it’s reports like yours that have put me off from expending much effort pursuing JamKazam. Not to mention I’ve got other things to do. Anyway.

From your troubleshooting points, above, it sounds like you’ve been digging into the laundry list of issues common to such connectivity issues. Kudos.

It’s all the more difficult when it involves multiple users in your group, who are experiencing different issues, and even tougher when everyone is dispersed by the pandemic. Even more so, JamKazam is understandably being slammed, and JamKazam support reportedly is historically poor.

So. Two suggestions if I was in your shoes and, despite the circumstances, wanted a solution:
  1. Have each member of your group email you with a concise list of their setup with all the pertinent specifics of hardware, software and network. Keep that master list handy.

2. Put up your “Can anybody help?!” post over on Gearslutz.com, Reddit and the JamKazam forum.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/collaborations-/
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusicMakers/

https://forum.jamkazam.com/

Somebody online may have run into the same type of thing and solved it. If they ask questions, or you move the conversation over to email or chat, the master list of your user group’s technical specifics will come in handy. With connectivity issues it can be one overlooked little thing that’s bunging up the works.

Just some ideas. Good luck! Please come back and let us know how it works out. Cheers!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom